The craziest substitutions ever made....

Started by theticklemister, May 07, 2015, 06:02:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

From the Bunker

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on May 08, 2015, 11:57:51 AM
Quote from: From the Bunker on May 07, 2015, 07:27:01 PM
I was going to say bringing on Enda Sheedy (ex Dub) for Mayo v Fermanagh in Markieviecz in 2003. But I checked and to my surprise he started the game. Must have been so out of the game that I thought he came on late on in the game. All I remember was he was so out of touch with the pace of the game that day.

I suppose Freeman being taken of in the 2013 Final.

You're getting your Enda Sheehy's mixed up with your Jack Sheedy's.

No I'm not!

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-football/where-are-they-now-29194833.html  ;D

stew

Quote from: blanketattack on May 07, 2015, 07:09:57 PM
McGeeney, 10 minutes to go in '05 semi-final v Tyrone.

I cursed big Joe up and down for that stupidity at the time!! Raging I was.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: From the Bunker on May 08, 2015, 01:09:08 PM
I was going to say bringing on Enda Sheedy (ex Dub) for Mayo v Fermanagh in Markieviecz in 2003. But I checked and to my surprise he started the game. Must have been so out of the game that I thought he came on late on in the game. All I remember was he was so out of touch with the pace of the game that day.

No I'm not!

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-football/where-are-they-now-29194833.html  ;D

The devil is in the detail.  ;)
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

From the Bunker

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on May 08, 2015, 01:41:57 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on May 08, 2015, 01:09:08 PM

No I'm not!

The devil is in the detail.  ;)

I know!

Jinxy

Every time I was taken off.
Load of bollox.
There were plenty worse than me out there.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

themac_23

Every club in ireland has had this one, one of the main men who is also a good soccer player, has missed 99% of pre season due to soccer commitments, gets left out of the starting 15 for the opening league game so as to let the lads know there is no favouritism, 15 mins in and he is on for the not so talented player who has bust his ass at pre season who is never seen in senior football for the rest of the year but plying his trade an hour before for the reserves! lol

Champion The Wonder Horse

Eddie Duffy in London was the craziest substitution never made.

blanketattack

Craziest substitution I've ever seen was substituting

With

From the Bunker

Quote from: blanketattack on May 08, 2015, 11:05:04 PM
Craziest substitution I've ever seen was substituting

With

Yeah, and the old Pippa did not even go on Holidays and come back looking different. The produces just plonked the new Pippa into the Kitchen and everyone was calling her Pippa and we were all going 'what the feck!'

Sandy Hill

Quote from: stew on May 08, 2015, 01:34:45 PM

Has anyone ever heard the supposed reason for this substitution? Was it Kernan or Big Paul who made it?
"Stercus accidit"

Lar Naparka

Many moons ago, I was splaying in a local derby, Swinford against Kiltimagh, and it was the sort of game where you had to get your retaliation in first as there mightn't be a second opportunity to do so.
Anyway, we were all having great fun in the pissing rain and most of us sledging all around because the poor ref had given up all hopes of keeping the game under control. Coming near the end, the Culchie full back flattened his man and all hell broke loose. As honour and duty demanded, I looked around to take a swipe at the nearest blue jersey. 
Matter of fact , I think one of the linesmen got clocked too because he was daft enough to try and intervene between two lads who were hard at it.
Finally, some sort of order was restored and our full forward was carried off. What pissed our side off completely, was that the ref didn't send the transgressor to the line.

The sub coming on decided to remedy that injustice.
So he trotted onto the field at a steady pace and passing by the culprit he gave him an elbow jab on the back of the head and well and truly banjaxed him to the cheers of the Swinford fans.
Our fella thought the ref wasn't looking as he was facing the other way while he wrote something in his notebook.                                                                                 
Unfortunately, the hoor  happened to swing around at that very instant and without any delay he blew his whistle and pointed at the far sideline. No doubt whatever, it was an open and shut case. None of us had the neck to even complain as our lad kept trotting until he reached the sideline on the other side. He didn't alter his stride in any way as he trotted onto the field and kept moving until he left the field again.
That boyo should be in the Guinness Book of Records as the substitute who spent the least time on the field.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

BennyCake

Quote from: Sandy Hill on May 08, 2015, 11:45:32 PM
Quote from: stew on May 08, 2015, 01:34:45 PM

Has anyone ever heard the supposed reason for this substitution? Was it Kernan or Big Paul who made it?

Geezer was struggling. Needed fresh legs apparently

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Lar Naparka on May 09, 2015, 12:03:59 AM
Many moons ago, I was splaying in a local derby, Swinford against Kiltimagh, and it was the sort of game where you had to get your retaliation in first as there mightn't be a second opportunity to do so.
Anyway, we were all having great fun in the pissing rain and most of us sledging all around because the poor ref had given up all hopes of keeping the game under control. Coming near the end, the Culchie full back flattened his man and all hell broke loose. As honour and duty demanded, I looked around to take a swipe at the nearest blue jersey. 
Matter of fact , I think one of the linesmen got clocked too because he was daft enough to try and intervene between two lads who were hard at it.
Finally, some sort of order was restored and our full forward was carried off. What pissed our side off completely, was that the ref didn't send the transgressor to the line.

The sub coming on decided to remedy that injustice.
So he trotted onto the field at a steady pace and passing by the culprit he gave him an elbow jab on the back of the head and well and truly banjaxed him to the cheers of the Swinford fans.
Our fella thought the ref wasn't looking as he was facing the other way while he wrote something in his notebook.                                                                                 
Unfortunately, the hoor  happened to swing around at that very instant and without any delay he blew his whistle and pointed at the far sideline. No doubt whatever, it was an open and shut case. None of us had the neck to even complain as our lad kept trotting until he reached the sideline on the other side. He didn't alter his stride in any way as he trotted onto the field and kept moving until he left the field again.
That boyo should be in the Guinness Book of Records as the substitute who spent the least time on the field.

Stevie G versus United this year might match that!

blewuporstuffed

I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

Bingo

I was over our third team about 3/4 years ago. Sunday evening game and as usual numbers would be tight.

One of the lads works as a vet but was on call, said he'd play if I held his phone and if it sounded serious to take him off.

Into second half and phone goes. Your man on the other side starts talking and asking for advice as one of his calves was having trouble walking and was walking sideways into the walls. I told him I'd ring back in two minutes and called your man ashore and off he went to see the calf.