Doire v An Dun June 7th in Celtic Park (21 years on from the El Classico.)

Started by rosskarr, May 05, 2015, 10:14:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

general_lee

Quote from: INDIANA on June 07, 2015, 10:15:18 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on June 07, 2015, 10:08:12 PM
That game was nowhere near as bad as some have claimed. At least it was competitive unlike many of the turkey shoots in the other provinces. McIver will be delighted with the result and even moreso with the fact that they will go into a likely semi against Donegal slightly under the radar. I wouldn't discount them from winning Ulster but they will need to offer more of a scoring threat other than just Bradley and Lynch. On a side note the refereeing was shocking, the standard nationwide is very poor apart from a handful.

You're right it was nowhere near as bad as made out earlier- it was in fact far worse.

When will people in Ulster realise that competitiveness does not equal good skill.

Just review the misplaced passes, wides, poor tackling and cynical fouling. If Barnet played Cowenbeath it would be competitive. You can't use competitiveness as a measure of quality. Two drunks could match each other for quality in a race after last orders
You've an awful chip on your shoulder regarding Ulster you pretentious cnut.

Both teams' first outings what else do you expect? Yeah it would be awfully nice to have Longford's second string at home as an opener where you can throw your debutants in with no pressure.

Oh and please spare us the shite soccer analogies.

yellowcard

Quote from: INDIANA on June 07, 2015, 10:15:18 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on June 07, 2015, 10:08:12 PM
That game was nowhere near as bad as some have claimed. At least it was competitive unlike many of the turkey shoots in the other provinces. McIver will be delighted with the result and even moreso with the fact that they will go into a likely semi against Donegal slightly under the radar. I wouldn't discount them from winning Ulster but they will need to offer more of a scoring threat other than just Bradley and Lynch. On a side note the refereeing was shocking, the standard nationwide is very poor apart from a handful.

You're right it was nowhere near as bad as made out earlier- it was in fact far worse.

When will people in Ulster realise that competitiveness does not equal good skill.

Just review the misplaced passes, wides, poor tackling and cynical fouling. If Barnet played Cowenbeath it would be competitive. You can't use competitiveness as a measure of quality. Two drunks could match each other for quality in a race after last orders

Fortunately that is unlikely to happen as they play in different countries.

Anyway I fail to see your point, if your deriding the game for a lack of quality then by extension your deriding the standard of gaelic football in the country. Indeed both of these counties are of a higher quality than 11 out of the 12 counties in Leinster if you base it on final league positions.

armaghniac

Quote from: yellowcard on June 08, 2015, 10:20:28 AM
Anyway I fail to see your point, if your deriding the game for a lack of quality then by extension your deriding the standard of gaelic football in the country. Indeed both of these counties are of a higher quality than 11 out of the 12 counties in Leinster if you base it on final league positions.

Ah yes, Yellowcard, but the majority of people in Leinster have been gathered together to  form another team and it is reasonably good.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Gonzalo15

Poor enough game. Regarding the red card ,although it was harsh, down should have had mcgovern off at half time as he was complete manure in the first half, so they really only have themselves to blame😀

Main Street

With a good space in hindsight, I'll accept that it was a competitive game,  that Down reacted well after that ridiculous red card when many teams would have folded, but just couldn't close out a game that they had in the bag, that the game had an exciting element, that Down deserved a draw.
It's just that at the time of watching the game. it was a painful experience and I forget why.

ONeill

It's the back door effect.

Even shit Derry/Down sides would have cut tripe outta each other in 1983.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: ONeill on June 09, 2015, 12:08:41 AM
It's the back door effect.

Even shit Derry/Down sides would have cut tripe outta each other in 1983.

+1

The back door has reduced the intensity of matches dramatically.

Although given the sh!te that football has become, would teams be even more scared of losing rather than trying to win with a return to the real championship? [i.e. more packed defenses?]
i usse an speelchekor

ardtole

I watched the game again last night and without trying to sound like sour grapes, I think Enda Lynn should get 6 months for play acting. Watching the physio checking him for concussion etc would make you sick. If a Down player done the same id have no bother him getting 6 months either. Its the one thing that really puts me off Gaelic football at present. Its no longer creeping into the game,its part and parcel of it unfortunately and needs  stamped out. In my opinion 10 times worse than Cavanagh pulling down McManus and that got some attention.

interested

Quote from: ardtole on June 09, 2015, 03:53:56 PM
Possibly. But id hope not.
The "poor" Derry lad went down holding his face and he had a tattoo-says it all really.

Walter Cronc

JoG2

Quote from: ardtole on June 09, 2015, 03:45:04 PM
I watched the game again last night and without trying to sound like sour grapes, I think Enda Lynn should get 6 months for play acting. Watching the physio checking him for concussion etc would make you sick. If a Down player done the same id have no bother him getting 6 months either. Its the one thing that really puts me off Gaelic football at present. Its no longer creeping into the game,its part and parcel of it unfortunately and needs  stamped out. In my opinion 10 times worse than Cavanagh pulling down McManus and that got some attention.

that's your reasoned response ?! You'd make some judge ardtole

screenexile

As I said in the Derry thread I don't think it was a red card but your man caught him with the butt of the hand and from what I'm told drew blood.

It's not as if he went down like a sack of spuds rolling around or did a Cavanagh swan dive but he was struck and blood was drawn so I think he's perfectly entitled to get treatment.

trueblue1234

Quote from: screenexile on June 09, 2015, 04:59:17 PM
As I said in the Derry thread I don't think it was a red card but your man caught him with the butt of the hand and from what I'm told drew blood.

It's not as if he went down like a sack of spuds rolling around or did a Cavanagh swan dive but he was struck and blood was drawn so I think he's perfectly entitled to get treatment.

Have to laugh at the attempt by the Derry posters to justify it. If Cavanagh had done it you would correctly be calling it for what it was, Diving and of the worst kind. Not just an attempt to win a free but to get a opposition player sent of.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit