Galway
8 (9.9%)
Sligo
9 (11.1%)
Leitrim
7 (8.6%)

Total Members Voted: 81

sligoman

I didn't talk about what those players do, I said Roscommon have a set of big physical forwards who will have a physical advantage over our small back line. I'm much more worried on how we deal with size of Kilbride, Smith, Shine and Cregg than I am about the Murtaghs as I fully believe we have the players to mark them. Donovan has been one of the best man markers in the game over the past 7 or 8 years but he does struggle under the high ball. I'd imagine he will pick up Diarmud Murtagh and keep him very quiet from open play.

Mano

To validate Sligoman point compare Kelly and Kilbride. Both quality forwards, both well able to take a score. Which of the 2 is most likely to win primary possession in the full forward line with many defenders behind the ball. In 2010 both Marren and Kelly couldn't win any ball inside as they were well marshalled by their immediate opponents plus your half backs and forwards drifting back to cut out the space. Kilbride, Cregg, Shine have the size and physical presence to win ball kicked in to a packed defence. Add to that McDonnell is not a full back-he is a midfielder. He has been put back there to fill a problem position. What did Smith score on him in under 21's? I would put Martyn in full back and McDonnell out to his natural position.

Syferus

Quote from: Mano on May 27, 2015, 01:28:56 PM
To validate Sligoman point compare Kelly and Kilbride. Both quality forwards, both well able to take a score. Which of the 2 is most likely to win primary possession in the full forward line with many defenders behind the ball. In 2010 both Marren and Kelly couldn't win any ball inside as they were well marshalled by their immediate opponents plus your half backs and forwards drifting back to cut out the space. Kilbride, Cregg, Shine have the size and physical presence to win ball kicked in to a packed defence. Add to that McDonnell is not a full back-he is a midfielder. He has been put back there to fill a problem position. What did Smith score on him in under 21's? I would put Martyn in full back and McDonnell out to his natural position.

You're not really comparing like with like there. Of course Kilbride is a bigger unit than Kelly. FF vs.  tricky corner forward.

After what happened our U21s the last two years against Sligo and Tyrone in Mark I'd expect Sligo to try something simliar against many of the same forwards and to stay very compact and crowd out. Mightn't be much room for Kilbride to win ball if he's double or triple maked like he probably will be. The room will be the there for someone like the Murtaghs to step up if Sligo become fixated on stopping Kilbride.

I'd be happier with Donovan on Diarmuid Murtagh too, Ciaran is the brother that is really in form right now. Also remember Donovan and Cregg having an almighty battle in the Hyde last year in a meaningless last round league match at the Hyde after we'd confirmed promotion. The only two on the field still going at it hammer and thongs. Donovan seemed well able for Cregg that day. I'd have a lot of time for Donovan.

Mano

Quote from: Syferus on May 27, 2015, 01:54:38 PM

You're not really comparing like with like there. Of course Kilbride is a bitter unit than Kelly. FF vs.  tricky corner forward.

But that's the point I am making Kelly, Marren, Murphy, Coen are all tricky corner forwards. We don't have the balance of tricky corner forward (Murtagh x2), target man (Shine, Kilbride) and grafters (Cregg). Sligo struggle against packed defences as they don't have a big physical forwards on the edge of the square like Roscommon have.

sligoman

Quote from: Mano on May 27, 2015, 02:04:33 PM
Quote from: Syferus on May 27, 2015, 01:54:38 PM

You're not really comparing like with like there. Of course Kilbride is a bitter unit than Kelly. FF vs.  tricky corner forward.

But that's the point I am making Kelly, Marren, Murphy, Coen are all tricky corner forwards. We don't have the balance of tricky corner forward (Murtagh x2), target man (Shine, Kilbride) and grafters (Cregg). Sligo struggle against packed defences as they don't have a big physical forwards on the edge of the square like Roscommon have.

This is it, aligned with the fact we also lack a good defender with a bit of stature and size to pick up the opposition's physical forwards. We haven't managed to replace McGuire yet.

Shrewdness

Based on past selections, i fully expect Cregg to start against Sligo, but i wouldn't start him. The reality is that he has been a passenger in his last 4 games imo. For some reason, he's bang out of form. There won't be any room for passengers against Sligo..Donie Shine still looks a bit rusty as he works his way back from injury. For pure scoring potential, nobody should overlook the Murtagh's.

magpie seanie

Quote from: sligoman on May 27, 2015, 11:54:26 AM
Any news on injuries? Will we be without anyone since the league campaign? Any new additions?

I think the we will Carew go with a side like the following.

1. Devaney
2. Maye 3. McDonnell 4. Donovan
10. Ewing
5. Cawley 6. Egan 7. Flanagan
8. Gilmartin 9.  C Breheny
14. Hughes 11. M Breheny 12. Murphy
13. Marren 15. Kelly

Why would you think Gilmartin would be/should be playing? There was no evidence during the league to support his inclusion over the likes of Criostoir Davey or that he is a better midfield option than Murphy.

Mano

Quote from: magpie seanie on May 28, 2015, 10:11:34 AM
Any news on injuries? Will we be without anyone since the league campaign? Any new additions?

1. Devaney
10. Ewing
13. Marren 15. Kelly

Why would you think Gilmartin would be/should be playing? There was no evidence during the league to support his inclusion over the likes of Criostoir Davey or that he is a better midfield option than Murphy.

Murphy has to play but not at midfield - he is a scoring forward. You cannot put Murphy and Brehony in midfield up against Shine and Higgins (if fit). It may have worked in division 3 against the likes of Louth and the Armagh second string but a promoted Division 1 team is different altogether. We have to have some height and physicality in midfield to compete for kickouts. Personally I would put McDonnell into midfield. Otherwise we better have an excellent kickout strategy in place.

Syferus

Higgins might be fit for 20 minutes in the second half if we are really lucky / extremely reckless. Ian Kilbride, a HB, paired Shine in Ruslip as another of our midfielders, Mark Healy, was injured for the London game as well. Shine is is good form but he needs someone to take the pressure off him.

sligoman

Quote from: magpie seanie on May 28, 2015, 10:11:34 AM

1. Devaney
10. Ewing
13. Marren 15. Kelly

Think he offers a bit more size and presence around the middle area which we lack. If Davey were to start that would likely mean 4 Championship debutants in the starting team with Maye, Flanagan, Breheny and Davey as well as inexperienced players like Murphy and McDonnell in unfamiliar positions which I think Carew might be a but reticent to do at this stage.

magpie seanie

Johnny Martyn mustn't be far away for a spot?

I think the day of the giant midfielder is gone lads. Loads of big men didn't catch much ball off Breheny and Murf in the league. Murf is an all round footballer, the more he is on the ball the better. No point having lads out the field who can't play the ball in even if they get it. We've had enough of that over the years. It beggars belief that the suggestion is to go to an untried or previously failed option over an option that has worked, albeit at a lower level.  :'(

Mano

Quote from: magpie seanie on May 29, 2015, 12:13:43 AM
Johnny Martyn mustn't be far away for a spot?

I think the day of the giant midfielder is gone lads. Loads of big men didn't catch much ball off Breheny and Murf in the league. Murf is an all round footballer, the more he is on the ball the better. No point having lads out the field who can't play the ball in even if they get it. We've had enough of that over the years. It beggars belief that the suggestion is to go to an untried or previously failed option over an option that has worked, albeit at a lower level.  :'(

Agree that having Murphy and Brehony in midfield together gives us extra mobility, scoring power and creativity. However if these 2 lads start at midfield we won't have the possession to use those attributes in attack. Disagree strongly with the giant midfielder argument - O'Currain and Flynn destroyed us last year in midfield. Barry Moran and Aidan O Shea did likewise in Connaught final 2012. These are a different calibre of midfielder than the what we faced in Division 3. Our other options in this area are not the greatest but one of Gilmartin, McDonnell or McManus must start against Roscommon to try and get some possession.

Mano

Events this morning put things into perspective.

Played against Mickey on numerous occasions in the late 90's. He was a tough tackling, tenacious corner back. Played for Sligo senior football team for a number of years and was captain in 1996. Unfortunately injury ruled him out of playing in the Connaught final.

Mickey Galvin RIP

giveballaghback

How many of a panel do ye have up there in Sligo, its taking ye a month to pick that team that more or less picks itself, if ye hang on 3 more weeks ye will know what the team is.

magpie seanie

Quote from: Mano on May 29, 2015, 01:28:00 PM
Events this morning put things into perspective.

Played against Mickey on numerous occasions in the late 90's. He was a tough tackling, tenacious corner back. Played for Sligo senior football team for a number of years and was captain in 1996. Unfortunately injury ruled him out of playing in the Connaught final.

Mickey Galvin RIP

Only saw this post now but heard the shocking news Friday. I didn't know him well or anything but I also would have played against him a few times and he was a good friend to a lot of mates of mine. Extremely sad news. RIP.