Donegal v Tyrone Sun 17 May

Started by tyroneman, April 18, 2015, 07:57:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

No, it's not about any of that at all. More classic sleight of (verbal) hand. The topic we *were* discussing was what appears to be a more aggressive and commonplace practice of off the ball intimidation, verbal and physical, and what should or could be done about it. Tyrone's captain was at the receiving end of some of it, and his newstalk interview was interesting in that he specifically mentions lads trying to 'damage a digit' and that it isn't the first time.

I think that's out of order.

No matter where it happens, or who does it, I think it is wrong, and it says a lot about the person doing it.

Now, if we want to have a different discussion about cynical fouling, or unmerciful rows, then by all means have it, but don't do it as a way of trying to distract from the original discussion.

Fear ón Srath Bán

I agree that such behaviour is totally unacceptable (and in attempting to injure an opposition player like that is bordering on the criminal), and in fairness to yourself, you don't jump on any crusading bandwagons.

There are, however, certain here who have long since ceased to restrict themselves to commenting on this game alone, in order to have a dig specifically in relation to recent reversals, and in such circumstances defence will be forthcoming.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

blewuporstuffed

decent summary from daragh o'se

QuoteI enjoyed the Donegal-Tyrone game on Sunday. The pace of it was savage at times and the ability of these players to take hits and bounce up was totally admirable. Fellas were throwing themselves on the line for the cause, which is what you want to see in championship football. And the quality was high enough that there was no margin for error – those Tyrone wides in the first half cost them dearly in the end.
The difference between what was going on in Ballybofey and in the other games was massive. If you took a player out of one of the Leinster games at half-time and dropped him into the second half of Donegal-Tyrone, he'd have had a heart attack. Ballybofey was pure championship, the rest of it was Mickey Mouse stuff.
People can give out about the Ulster Championship all they like. But let's be honest here – it's the only thing worth watching this side of July. Intense, dogged, cynical, physical, no margin for error and always, always competitive. A bit of sledging won't stop people tuning in for that.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

Keyser soze

Quote from: Jinxy on May 19, 2015, 10:36:27 PM
Quote from: Keyser soze on May 19, 2015, 03:18:59 PM
Quote from: Jinxy on May 19, 2015, 11:55:01 AM
Other than Dublin a few years back, I can't think of any southern teams that engage in blatant sledging.
It's more of an Ulster thing.

Well Meath were at it in the 90's, calling people orange bastids and the like, so there's one for you.

Calling who orange b**tards?

Me.

nrico2006

Quote from: screenexile on May 20, 2015, 10:57:08 AM
Quote from: AZOffaly on May 20, 2015, 10:39:04 AM
Jaysus, there's so many parallel conversations here it's hard to keep up at times, especially if you go and do a bit of work or something :) I thought we were talking about the verbal abuse and annoying intimidation tactics which is in the game today, and how do you deal with it. This sideways turn into the number of fouls committed in Connacht or a big row in the North Tipp hurling championship would seem to have very little to do with that. Unless the row was caused by a lad reacting to abuse, which I would completely understand!

But the obfuscation and misdirection from the original theme of the discussion is a classic tactic. Some lads are very adept at it when they don't like what's being said. There's even a word I heard on this board to describe it, which I had never heard before and I think that in itself is telling :) It is brilliant 'whataboutery'.

I enjoy a bit of auld whataboutery with the Tyronies. . . basically anything Tyrone do can be traced back to puke football, any scummy act committed by McMenamin, Sean's diving/crying, football not being invented in 2003, the time we spanked them as All Ireland Champions in 2006 at their own game!!!

It's what the GAA is all about really  ;D ;D

You were right on most things there but in 2006 you didn't spank Tyrone at their own game.  You beat a heavily depleted Tyrone team that year. 
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Gabriel_Hurl

I enjoy a bit of auld whataboutery with the Tyronies. . . basically anything Tyrone do can be traced back to puke football, any scummy act committed by McMenamin, Sean's diving/crying, football not being invented in 2003, the time we spanked them as All Ireland Champions in 2006 at their own game!!!

Canada were playing in the 2006 Ulster Championship ? ? ?  ;)

screenexile

Quote from: nrico2006 on May 20, 2015, 01:41:31 PM
Jaysus, there's so many parallel conversations here it's hard to keep up at times, especially if you go and do a bit of work or something :) I thought we were talking about the verbal abuse and annoying intimidation tactics which is in the game today, and how do you deal with it. This sideways turn into the number of fouls committed in Connacht or a big row in the North Tipp hurling championship would seem to have very little to do with that. Unless the row was caused by a lad reacting to abuse, which I would completely understand!

But the obfuscation and misdirection from the original theme of the discussion is a classic tactic. Some lads are very adept at it when they don't like what's being said. There's even a word I heard on this board to describe it, which I had never heard before and I think that in itself is telling :) It is brilliant 'whataboutery'.

You were right on most things there but in 2006 you didn't spank Tyrone at their own game.  You beat a heavily depleted Tyrone team that year.

What exactly do you mean by heavily depleted??

By my count you were missing 3 that day (Canavan had retired) from the All Ireland team... hardly a 'heavy' loss even if you include McGuigan and O'Neill.

screenexile

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on May 20, 2015, 01:54:03 PM

Canada were playing in the 2006 Ulster Championship ? ? ?  ;)

Twas Mike's actually... we went on to Healy Park after we walloped the Vincent's at Centennial!!!  :P

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: AZOffaly on May 20, 2015, 11:16:44 AM
No, it's not about any of that at all. More classic sleight of (verbal) hand. The topic we *were* discussing was what appears to be a more aggressive and commonplace practice of off the ball intimidation, verbal and physical, and what should or could be done about it. Tyrone's captain was at the receiving end of some of it, and his newstalk interview was interesting in that he specifically mentions lads trying to 'damage a digit' and that it isn't the first time.

I think that's out of order.

No matter where it happens, or who does it, I think it is wrong, and it says a lot about the person doing it.

Now, if we want to have a different discussion about cynical fouling, or unmerciful rows, then by all means have it, but don't do it as a way of trying to distract from the original discussion.

Must give that interview a listen. That incident is one of the sneakest, cowardly acts I've seen on a football pitch.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

BennyHarp

Quote from: screenexile on May 20, 2015, 01:55:44 PM

By my count you were missing 3 that day (Canavan had retired) from the All Ireland team... hardly a 'heavy' loss even if you include McGuigan and O'Neill.

I love the pointless discussion with the Derry ones too!  :D But saying that you bought it up, Tyrone where in actual fact missing six players from the team that won the All Ireland the previous year. 

Tyrone team v Kerry 2005 All Ireland Final: P McConnell; R McMenamin, J McMahon, M McGee; D Harte, C Gormley, P Jordan; E McGinley, S Cavanagh; B Dooher (0-2), B McGuigan (0-3), R Mellon (0-2); P Canavan (1-1), S O'Neill (0-4), O Mulligan (0-4)

Tyrone Team v Derry 2006 Ulster Championship: P McConnell; R McMenamin, C McGinley, C Gourley; D Harte , C Gormley, P Jordan; C Holmes; P Donnelly; B Dooher (capt), S Cavanagh, R Mulgrew; R Mellon, K Hughes, O Mulligan

The three "hardly heavy" losses that you refer to happened to be probably 3 of the top forwards of that era and between them contributed 1-8 against Kerry in the previous years All Ireland final. Its a not an exaggeration to say that we probably wouldn't have beaten Kerry without them. Its not an exaggeration to say that we would definitely have beaten Derry with them. I miss Derry being relevant!  :D
That was never a square ball!!

nrico2006

Quote from: screenexile on May 20, 2015, 01:55:44 PM

McGuigan and O'Neill were our two main men in 2005, so they were a big loss.

Gerard Cavlan, Mickey McGee, Joe McMahon, Enda McGinley and Martin Penrose didn't start that day either because of injury.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Jinxy

Quote from: Keyser soze on May 20, 2015, 12:11:00 PM
Other than Dublin a few years back, I can't think of any southern teams that engage in blatant sledging.

Well Meath were at it in the 90's, calling people orange bastids and the like, so there's one for you.

Me.

Which player said it to you?
If you were any use you'd be playing.

blewuporstuffed

Id say the biggest influence on the result that day was Hubs early sending off on top of the men already missing.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

Keyser soze

Quote from: Jinxy on May 20, 2015, 02:47:35 PM
Quote from: Keyser soze on May 20, 2015, 12:11:00 PM

Me.

Which player said it to you?

Well Im certainly not gonna name him on here.

JoG2

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on May 20, 2015, 02:48:09 PM
Id say the biggest influence on the result that day was Hubs early sending off on top of the men already missing.

Aye, but surely youse could have registered at least 1 point during the first half even with those boys missing?