Donegal v Tyrone Sun 17 May

Started by tyroneman, April 18, 2015, 07:57:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syferus

Quote from: AZOffaly on May 19, 2015, 10:05:24 AM
It is a bit ironic that Cavanagh is highlighting this so soon after the U21 final, when Tipp we accused of being naive for being annoyed by the same sort of thing. However, I think if Sean genuinely feels it is gone beyond the pale, he is right to highlight it. If nobody takes it on, it will remain. If lads like him and Joe Brolly start highlighting it, it will become the new cause celebre and a knee jerk rule will be put in place. What could possibly go wrong?

I think all it shows is how little perspective there is on this issue in Tyrone. Tyrone brought it to a new level and Donegal followed in their footsteps and this is the fruit of that tree.

And then you have people here thinking it's better to pretend nothing happened too, like there's some sort of omertà around dirty acts because they happen on a football field. The only way this can be fixed is by coming down progressively harder and harder on counties that are repeat offenders. Nothing else will make them clean up their acts.

The Bearded One

Quote from: AZOffaly on May 19, 2015, 10:10:49 AM
But when Tommy Twomey mentioned it, it was?

I am not getting into a debate about the under 21 final again. I was simply trying to say that I think Sean Cavanagh has made a valid point about the mental wellbeing of some players. Look beyond any county rivalry or personal feelings about Cavanagh and see his comments for what they are.

It is what it is. Presumably.

DermyTDredi

Quote from: Footie_mad on May 19, 2015, 10:01:48 AM
I am actually embarrassed by Sean. After the game Murphy was interviewed about what went on and dismissed it saying it was nothing. It is not the first time our captain has ran to the papers - Mickey Harte should put a ban on him talking. The reason why I am embarrassed as that on Sunday after Murphy took a freekick Cavanagh ran up to him and started clapping in his face which is why Murphy ran at him - double standards here Mr Cavanagh. Please say other Tyrone supports feel the same and make sure that people know this isn't the views of us.
I though Sunday's game was excellent, a real Championship match! It wasn't the lack-lustre low scoring match must people predicted.

I would have to agree...he maybe a class footballer and as a qualified accountant he's worked hard at the books, but the lad cannot talk articulately....would keep the camera away from him!

AZOffaly

I already said I think he's right to highlight it. I just think it's ironic. When the Tipp lads gave out about it, they became 'whiners' and should cop the f**k on, this is what it takes, can't believe how naive they are etc.

2 weeks later a Tyrone man essentially makes the same point. I think he's right to highlight it. And in fairness to Sean he is saying both teams were at it. Now I don't think that makes it right, but it does mitigate the 'sour grapes' aspect.

DermyTDredi

Quote from: Whishtup on May 19, 2015, 12:00:28 AM
Lads, perspective...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpFFmlAPCek
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wms4uWzB9T0

and...(short memories)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xeavnsUTLE

Sunday's game was childsplay compared to this tr**p-actin'...

Im surprised that the Tyrone "Blue" alternative kit never took off

The Bearded One

Aye but the tipp lads basically used it as a reason for losing an AI Final to the big bad men from Tyrone!

It's also interesting the number of posters that seem happy to admit that it's a problem across the board yet 2 weeks ago it seemed that Tyrone were the only team in the country who engaged in this behaviour.

I am completely against verbals and do not consider it 'part of the game' like some. Whispering in someone's ear is hard to police but when a player clearly tries to provoke another by roaring or clapping in their face the referee should take immediate action - it's not hard to see this going on.

oakleafgael

Quote from: AZOffaly on May 19, 2015, 10:22:07 AM
I already said I think he's right to highlight it. I just think it's ironic. When the Tipp lads gave out about it, they became 'whiners' and should cop the f**k on, this is what it takes, can't believe how naive they are etc.

2 weeks later a Tyrone man essentially makes the same point. I think he's right to highlight it. And in fairness to Sean he is saying both teams were at it. Now I don't think that makes it right, but it does mitigate the 'sour grapes' aspect.

Your missing the point completely AZ, not sure whether on purpose or not, but Cavanagh is making the point that both teams where culpable on Sunday past whilst with the Tipp men it was a case of the big bad Tyronie's despite their corner back being at it all through the game. 

AZOffaly

I said Cavanagh highlighted that both were at it. It's right there in the sentence you mention.

As regards Tipp, I think they were making the exact same point, and I don't believe they were anything near as robust themselves. I can tell you, they were genuinely surprised at it. That's why they made some stupid comments afterwards. If this was something they did themselves, or were used to experiencing, they wouldn't even have passed any remarks.

JoG2

Counties have certain players who'd mouth away on a pitch, but no county would be near the levels of Tyrone. Its widespread in the team, has been for years. Its not an anti-Tyrone media driven craze, its reality. Needs sorting

The Bearded One

Quote from: JoG2 on May 19, 2015, 11:06:01 AM
Counties have certain players who'd mouth away on a pitch, but no county would be near the levels of Tyrone. Its widespread in the team, has been for years. Its not an anti-Tyrone media driven craze, its reality. Needs sorting

Fire me out a list of current Tyrone players who are guilty of this, saying as it's widespread you shouldn't have much bother hitting double figures?

JoG2

Quote from: The Bearded One on May 19, 2015, 11:09:50 AM
Quote from: JoG2 on May 19, 2015, 11:06:01 AM

Fire me out a list of current Tyrone players who are guilty of this, saying as it's widespread you shouldn't have much bother hitting double figures?

take last weeks teamsheet for starters. Deny all you want, but no-one, not near it sledge en masse like Tyrone do.

Jinxy

Quote from: The Bearded One on May 19, 2015, 10:09:44 AM
Hold on a minute, Sean Cavanagh has quite clearly said both teams were equally as bad on Sunday and has not made any excuses for Tyrone's defeat.

He is trying to make the point that some players will not deal with verbals as well as others and fears what the consequences might be in a worse case scenario. I think it is a valid point. Just because it happens to be Sean Cavanagh delivering the message doesn't mean it should be ignored as sour grapes.

He's at this craic for years.
Step 1: Make excuses
Step 2: Say, "Look, I'm not making excuses"
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Up The Middle

Sean would be safer taking a leaf out of Murphys book and saying nothing and moving on. The verbals dont annoy me that much, its the goading of an opponent when hes on the ground or just after you have scored that really gets me. Ive noticed it creeping into my own club recently and i really detest it. McMenamin and Gormley were reknowned for this and i wouldnt blame anyman for hitting them a box in the teeth for doing it. It really needs stamped out of the game. Dublin did it for years under Lyons and Pillar and were rightly hated for it, then Gilroy came in and stamped it out, all it takes is a strong manager to put a stop to it in each county.
I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.

JoG2

Quote from: Up The Middle on May 19, 2015, 11:12:00 AM
Sean would be safer taking a leaf out of Murphys book and saying nothing and moving on. The verbals dont annoy me that much, its the goading of an opponent when hes on the ground or just after you have scored that really gets me. Ive noticed it creeping into my own club recently and i really detest it. McMenamin and Gormley were reknowned for this and i wouldnt blame anyman for hitting them a box in the teeth for doing it. It really needs stamped out of the game. Dublin did it for years under Lyons and Pillar and were rightly hated for it, then Gilroy came in and stamped it out, all it takes is a strong manager to put a stop to it in each county.

absolutely UTM

J70

Quote from: AZOffaly on May 19, 2015, 10:22:07 AM

That's what gets me. Everyone wants to give out about this "scourge" in the game, but God forbid one of the players opens their mouth about it! Devenney was told to shut up a decade ago when he complained about this type of stuff.