Donegal v Tyrone Sun 17 May

Started by tyroneman, April 18, 2015, 07:57:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BennyHarp

There isn't too many Leinster first round games that I'd be even arsed about opening the thread to read, never mind commenting on but this game seems to have caught the imagination of a few Dubs. I'm massively looking forward to Sunday with the dread and fear that makes Championship football special. It will probably be a war of attrition and most likely a poor game. But, I can pretty much guarantee it will be infinitely more interesting and compelling, for both Tyrone and Donegal fans and neutrals, than Dublin v either Longford or Offaly.
That was never a square ball!!

INDIANA

Quote from: Redhand Santa on May 12, 2015, 07:41:45 PM
To be clear I was talking about all league and championship games the 2 teams have played and not just against each other. The proportion would be very low so not sure what Indiana is on about. Even against each other in last 6 meetings at least one team has scored over ten so there is no substance behind his comment.

It probably will be a relatively low scoring on Sunday but unlike the Leinster games it'll be a tough battle filled with big hits, controversy and tension. That's what defines championship for me, can't wait for it.

You forgot sledging , blanket defences, most of the scores from frees, abnormal ratio of handpasses to kick passes......... all integral parts of the Ulster Championship. What's the odds on less then 7 scores in total before half time on Sunday?

BluestackBoy

Quote from: INDIANA on May 12, 2015, 08:46:15 PM
Quote from: Redhand Santa on May 12, 2015, 07:41:45 PM
To be clear I was talking about all league and championship games the 2 teams have played and not just against each other. The proportion would be very low so not sure what Indiana is on about. Even against each other in last 6 meetings at least one team has scored over ten so there is no substance behind his comment.

It probably will be a relatively low scoring on Sunday but unlike the Leinster games it'll be a tough battle filled with big hits, controversy and tension. That's what defines championship for me, can't wait for it.

You forgot sledging , blanket defences, most of the scores from frees, abnormal ratio of handpasses to kick passes......... all integral parts of the Ulster Championship. What's the odds on less then 7 scores in total before half time on Sunday?

You'd get good odds on that Indiana.

I think you should pile in, put the house, motor, wife, kids, the whole shebang on it.

Come back & let us know how you get on.
For what shall it profit a man if he gains the whole world & loses his soul.

ONeill

Heard McCurry is flying in training.

Heard Donegal players are flying to training.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Fuzzman

Cant believe how many of ye are rising to the shit stirring, obviously very worried Dub.
You will notice most other Dubs are keeping their head down and powder dry as they know that this is the only brand of football that will stop them winning Sam again this year.
Anyone that bothers to reply to the eejit are just feeding his fun. Sure he's never once admitted to any of the biting incidents FFS.

Anyway, interesting listening to Paddy Heaney here saying people forget how big strong and physical Donegal are and how they were miles ahead of Tyrone in the league with even the way they make runs at angles to receive passes.
http://teamtalkmag.com/category/media/interviews/

I'd say a lot of blanket defence haters will be tuning in as it is the only championship where the result is not a forgone conclusion and you will see a proper championship match with nobody giving an inch or rolling over

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: Fuzzman on May 12, 2015, 11:36:00 PM
Cant believe how many of ye are rising to the shit stirring, obviously very worried Dub.
You will notice most other Dubs are keeping their head down and powder dry as they know that this is the only brand of football that will stop them winning Sam again this year.
Anyone that bothers to reply to the eejit are just feeding his fun. Sure he's never once admitted to any of the biting incidents FFS.

Anyway, interesting listening to Paddy Heaney here saying people forget how big strong and physical Donegal are and how they were miles ahead of Tyrone in the league with even the way they make runs at angles to receive passes.
http://teamtalkmag.com/category/media/interviews/

I'd say a lot of blanket defence haters will be tuning in as it is the only championship where the result is not a forgone conclusion and you will see a proper championship match with nobody giving an inch or rolling over

:o Is there off the pitch biting going on as well?
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

tonto1888

Im really looking forward to this game. Hope it is an intense physical battle, which it should be. I dont much like either team to be hionest but that makes it even better for me

Fuzzman

Where you from Tonto?
Interesting that you say that you will be looking forward to this match as a few others say they hate these dour intense affairs and much prefer an open game where one team easily beats the other with lots of scores and poor defending or tactics.
We're all different I suppose. Many neutrals hated the 2003 AI final between us and Armagh but many enjoyed it for what it was.

Looks like its gonna be another wet miserable day which I think doesn't suit Tyrone.
Are the Tyrone fans staying away in their thousands again this year?

I wonder will Morgan be taking the frees on Sunday? Personally I'd rather see Sean and McCurry take anyones inside 50 yards or maybe take them short. Too often missed frees from Morgan is giving the other team a lift and our heads sink. This is where Mickey fails to show his ruthlessness in my opinion.

screenexile

Hope Donegal win this to save us from more of Tyrone's puke football!!!

stew

Quote from: screenexile on May 13, 2015, 03:51:00 PM

Up Donegal!!!!!
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

BennyHarp

I can't wait to see Derry enter the fray and enthrall the nation like they did against Dublin!

Fuzzman

Me too ScreenExile. I hate watching us play like that. If only we went back to the good old days where we beat teams with 13 men.

Cant wait til we lose that title

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/on-the-tenth-anniversary-of-the-term-puke-football-why-are-tyrone-still-seen-as-the-black-sheep-1.1504197

red hander

If we're puke football then that shambles against Dublin was projectile vomit football ... keep McIver, you're welcome to him (or could he be an agent working from the inside to destroy the inbreds' football once and for all?)

BennyHarp

Quote from: Fuzzman on May 13, 2015, 03:46:51 PM
Where you from Tonto?
Interesting that you say that you will be looking forward to this match as a few others say they hate these dour intense affairs and much prefer an open game where one team easily beats the other with lots of scores and poor defending or tactics.
We're all different I suppose. Many neutrals hated the 2003 AI final between us and Armagh but many enjoyed it for what it was.

Looks like its gonna be another wet miserable day which I think doesn't suit Tyrone.
Are the Tyrone fans staying away in their thousands again this year?

I wonder will Morgan be taking the frees on Sunday? Personally I'd rather see Sean and McCurry take anyones inside 50 yards or maybe take them short. Too often missed frees from Morgan is giving the other team a lift and our heads sink. This is where Mickey fails to show his ruthlessness in my opinion.

Maybe you're right here but looking forward to Sunday the only real advantage we hold going into the game is Mickey's experience on the line. I personally hope he goes into the game armed with 3 or 4 tactics which he varies throughout the game. Maybe push right up on them at stages, maybe sit right back with 15 behind the ball and invite them on, maybe play the wings trying to spread their defence or maybe hoof it into a big man like Paudie McNulty on the edge of the square and get lads in around him. The point is, we should mix it up time and again and force an inexperienced manager into making decisions that he hasn't planned for, which may or may not work out.

The worst thing we can do, is do what we've done every time we've played them in the last few years. Drop 12 men back and slowly and laterally build from the back, trying to run through their brick wall. Donegal will eat this up all day long and the players on the pitch will keep Tyrone at arms length without their manager having to speak a word to them. Gallagher, however, may turn out to be a tactical genius, but then again.....

rrhf

Prediction:
Hopefully we will give it our best shot.  It may not be good enough but if we can get an honest performance we can't ask for more.  That in itself would be progress from last year.  The major advantage of the under 21s success in terms of the seniors for this year will be that it might bring a certain belief back but that will count for little if we dont lay it all on the line against the savage Mc Gees, the workers Mc Hugh, the magical Murphy and the once bitten but not twice shy Mc Brearty.  One thing for sure with Donegal it will be tough but as long as we dont disgrace ourselves we will probably take that.  I dont fancy our minor set up at all so Id be worried for them on Sunday against a highly rated Donegal squad.  Bets of luck to all teams and managements and in particular the legend that is Mickey Harte. 
Donegal by 5 but only pulling away in the last 10 minutes after a tight game..
Donegal by 6+ in the minors.