Donegal v Tyrone Sun 17 May

Started by tyroneman, April 18, 2015, 07:57:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

blewuporstuffed

I would have thought it was more likely to see mcshane as an inside forward if he was to feature.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

Redhand Santa

Lee Brennan definitely did well for the u21s and would have no complaints with him being called up. He is very young so it might not do any harm waiting another year. I'd say McShane is big enough and is as capable as anyone we have of competing in the air and offers something else going forward.

I'm not totally sure about Harte playing it safe. He has taken risks in the past when he has saw something in a player. Gavin Devlin started centre half back in an All Ireland semi final having never played in a championship game, similarly Brian Meenan played midfield in one having not played in championship before as well. More recently he called McCurry up a couple of years ago during the championship and started him at 19. I do think we'll see a team close to the league team for this Donegal game. However if we do get beat would not be surprised to see 3 or 4 u21s start in the qualifiers.

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: Redhand Santa on May 11, 2015, 01:46:58 PM
Lee Brennan definitely did well for the u21s and would have no complaints with him being called up. He is very young so it might not do any harm waiting another year. I'd say McShane is big enough and is as capable as anyone we have of competing in the air and offers something else going forward.

I'm not totally sure about Harte playing it safe. He has taken risks in the past when he has saw something in a player. Gavin Devlin started centre half back in an All Ireland semi final having never played in a championship game, similarly Brian Meenan played midfield in one having not played in championship before as well. More recently he called McCurry up a couple of years ago during the championship and started him at 19. I do think we'll see a team close to the league team for this Donegal game. However if we do get beat would not be surprised to see 3 or 4 u21s start in the qualifiers.
He also plucked McNamee from nowhere to start against Kerry in the championship down in Kilarney.
I wouldnt be surprised at all if he took a risk and through some of the under 21s in.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

Archie Mitchell

Joe McQuillan down to ref this game. I hope he does a better job than he did in the league game earlier this year.

BluestackBoy

What's the latest on Sean Cavanagh?

His fitness is pivotal to Tyrone's chances & if he is less than 100% then the task becomes much more difficult.
For what shall it profit a man if he gains the whole world & loses his soul.

omagh_gael

ose 14

omagh gael love to know where u heard that as the dogs on the street know big seanie is a huge doubt with that old knee of his. as much as it pains me tyrone havent a hope in hell of winning this game. the best defensive set up and system against the poorest and slowest offence. morgan and cavnagh have both had major injuries thats our free taking abilities seriously dented wee mccurry god bless him will get eaten alive in ballybofey and that leaves mccaliskey as a lone gunslinger up front seriously yeah the horse and mickey have loads of aces up their sleeves. like wise we will struggle at the back to mark murphy as much as i love big justy he doesent have the legs no more, expect harte to go with plan z here, after 15 mins like harte you will be wondering what that is if we get more than 10 points i will be very surprised. whilst mcshane offers a lift where do you play him the only place is 9 as he aint savvy enough up front. xmas tree formation mccaliskey as the fairy at the top of the tree with mccurry cavnagh/mcshane or harte as the elfs and the other 10 workers behind that. same way as donegal will shape up i expect. donegal by 6.

Fuzzman

RHS, as much as I would love to get one more big year IR even performance out of Joey but I fear he's become too slow and not up to the pace of the game any more despite his excellent reading of the game.
He looked out of sorts in the Kerry league game but maybe he can turn it around. Who knows.
That's some major team changes you have there. What's your thinking of McRory at CHB?
Why Brennan at wing back?
I think Mickey will stick with the defence from the league with McNabb finally getting a run of games with no injuries and is proving what we all hoped.
Lee Brennan is way too young and inexperienced to play in a game like this. I think playing big Sean, McShane and McCurry up front the whole game will cause Donegal enough problems to not break en masse. Sean's ball winning ability against Kerry in the second half was very impressive if McCurry or someone had of been closer to benefit from it.

Joey at FF or CF would be interesting. We can't keep doing the same things v Donegal and hoping for different results. Our biggest enemy on Sunday is our own lack of belief in ourselves.

In my 30 years of watching Tyrone I've yet to see them lose to Donegal live in the flesh. I not been in the last 5  years so  looking forward to Sunday.
Wonder should I put a bet on? What odds are we?

Redhand Santa

To be honest I think there'll be 3 or 4 changes to the team I named above. I would like to see it shaken up a bit as I think certain things didn't work during the league. McRory often moves out to the half back line anyway and marked Mark Poland v Down last year. I think he's a great runner and not necessarily the best or most physical corner back so may be better suited out the pitch. Brennan had a great season for u21s at half back and was throwing him in to freshen it up a bit. That would allow McNabb to go to half forward where I feel he could be one of our few players who would get stuck in and win breaking ball.

In reality I don't think Brennan will start. The other 2 u21's would possibly be ahead of him and Bradley could well have an impact on this game whether its starting or coming on. As I said I haven't saw big Joe playing apart from Kerry game so was picking him more on past performances.

Things do sound a bit more positive at the minute and it sounds like they have pulled together since the departures. Watching Harte last night on tv it was obvious the passion he still has for the county team and he has given an awful lot to it over the last 25 years. I thought he came accross very well. I'd love to see a big year for the county and people remembering the many good things he has brought to the county.

omagh_gael

OSE, I was going on an RTE report I read earlier in the week, haven't heard anything 'on-the-ground.'

macdanger2

Althought the U-21 game will have given Tyrone a boost, with home advantage I fancy Donegal to win this by 2-3 points.

Fuzzman

I strongly agree with your last paragraph and I'm fully behind Mickey now which most of us from Tyrone believe this is his swansong year. Wouldn't it be great if we made it to an AI final with a smattering of u21 freshness creating excitement.
I think a run of weekly Sat night games in the backdoor could help build new team spirit within the new and old lads as opposed to high pressure Ulster games which can drain you mentality and physically.

I think this Donegal game will be different this year
Hopefully

BluestackBoy

In contrast to all the uncertainty coming from Tyrone, things are a lot more settled & optomistic in Donegal.

Don't like it, don't like it one bit.........
For what shall it profit a man if he gains the whole world & loses his soul.

INDIANA

Watching from behind the couch as Mordor plays Mordor lite. If anyone gets to double figures I will be seriously impressed

Armamike

Quote from: BluestackBoy on May 11, 2015, 07:16:50 PM
What's the latest on Sean Cavanagh?

His fitness is pivotal to Tyrone's chances & if he is less than 100% then the task becomes much more difficult.

Heard he's flying in training.
That's just, like your opinion man.