Dublin v Cork - National League Final - 4pm throw-in

Started by twohands!!!, April 13, 2015, 10:59:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zulu

Quote from: Fuzzman on April 26, 2015, 07:02:59 PM
I'd say the double duvet style managers must feel well justified how they played against the Dubs.
A lot of people including myself bemoan the way football has gone lately but I'd much rather watch a tight nervy game with disciplined and tackling like Tyrone did to the Dubs this year than these open games where its all over by halftime.

The Dubs are an awesome attacking machine in their own backyard if you give them time and space to do so. Their biggest enemy now is the usual run of easy games to the quarter or semifinals.
Cork very disappointing today and lacked intensity. If Dublin don't get off to a flyer then it's not so easy for them to play that champagne football.
Congrats Dublin.

Eh? Sure Cork played a sweeper and got bodies back. It's a poor day for the GAA if the only thing teams can do to stay competitive is to haul everyone back. Dublin are a fine side and I hope they get success playing football properly but Cork should have done a lot better if they were confident in their players. Their problem was they played too defensively not that they didn't pay defensively enough.

larryin89

Dublin looked great but as has been said in here and elsewhere Cork were so poor. I agree with some of the posters above its just the wrong time of year to play Dublin if you're in that bracket of the chasing pack . I'd swear Horan told his players last year to not give it 100% against Derry in semi final for this very reason.

In saying all that you still have to admire the Dubs , they are pure quality when on song . They've won two out of the last four SAMs and three league titles on the bounce . They could very possibly win Sam four out of the next five too. Realistic challengers to Dublin are getting weaker not stronger and that is going to be the worry .

Kerry, despite winning the all Ireland last year I still have my doubts about them, gooch and Walsh getting back to their best could determine how far they go.

Mayo, the general feeling is a provincial title would be a fantastic season.

Donegal, again you'd have to think they're just floating about q/f s/f max .

Cork, looked really bad today , no buzz about the football in that county at all Tis no wonder they don't win as much as you'd think they should.

I'm struggling to find a team that's going to stop Dublin , maybe it's a case of who can come up with a system to stop them in 15 . An Armagh or something like that in a q/f to burst their bubble would be a nice change.
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

muppet

Quote from: larryin89 on April 26, 2015, 07:25:18 PM
Dublin looked great but as has been said in here and elsewhere Cork were so poor. I agree with some of the posters above its just the wrong time of year to play Dublin if you're in that bracket of the chasing pack . I'd swear Horan told his players last year to not give it 100% against Derry in semi final for this very reason.

In saying all that you still have to admire the Dubs , they are pure quality when on song . They've won two out of the last four SAMs and three league titles on the bounce . They could very possibly win Sam four out of the next five too. Realistic challengers to Dublin are getting weaker not stronger and that is going to be the worry .

Kerry, despite winning the all Ireland last year I still have my doubts about them, gooch and Walsh getting back to their best could determine how far they go.

Cork, looked really bad today , no buzz about the football in that county at all Tis no wonder they don't win as much as you'd think they should.

I'm struggling to find a team that's going to stop Dublin , maybe it's a case of who can come up with a system to stop them in 15 . An Armagh or something like that in a q/f to burst their bubble would be a nice change.

Eh hello, what about Ros?

MWWSI 2017

larryin89

Quote from: muppet on April 26, 2015, 07:39:14 PM
Quote from: larryin89 on April 26, 2015, 07:25:18 PM

Eh hello, what about Ros?

Maybe , who knows . Im just thinking as I'm typing here but are there many examples of teams in the modern era say last 15 years just comin out of nowhere and challenging . The jury is still out on Roscommon IMO , this is the year of their test ,they will have to beat Galway or Mayo in a Connacht final, if they do , well then at long last they have achieved something and then they have to go to Croker and prove they don't just have one big game in them too.
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

easytiger95

We were all saying the same about the Dubs last year, and look what happened then. We looked good, but cork looked very, very poor. Mystifying, given what defeat to us last year at the same time meant to their season.

BTW i would hope that yer man O'Sullivan gets a couple of months for that blow, and for the one after to Philly Mac. He looked very hyped up and could have done serious damage to both.

Farrandeelin

Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Farrandeelin on April 26, 2015, 09:09:52 PM
What was the attendance today?

Today's attendance at Croke Park was 31,548

Broken down as Cork 48, Down 500, Roscommon 1,000 and Dublin 30,000!  ;D

Jinxy

If you were any use you'd be playing.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Jinxy on April 26, 2015, 09:29:12 PM
The Cork figure includes the players.
I suppose they could technically be counted as spectators today!  ;D

Oraisteach

I know it's only April, but none of the teams on show this weekend showed anything close to the class of Dublin.  Armagh, apart, I'd like to see the Rossies overturn Molly Malone's cockle cart, but I don't think it's going to happen. 

From the Bunker

Quote from: Oraisteach on April 26, 2015, 09:45:56 PM
I know it's only April, but none of the teams on show this weekend showed anything close to the class of Dublin.  Armagh, apart, I'd like to see the Rossies overturn Molly Malone's cockle cart, but I don't think it's going to happen.

Two Division 2 Teams, Two Division 3 Teams and Two Division 4 Teams who have all achieved their primary goal for the league. All are on the way up, but Jez you can't be expecting miracles yet? Especially from the 3rd and 4th tier teams.

Main Street

Quote from: easytiger95 on April 26, 2015, 08:40:21 PM
We were all saying the same about the Dubs last year, and look what happened then. We looked good, but cork looked very, very poor. Mystifying, given what defeat to us last year at the same time meant to their season.

BTW i would hope that yer man O'Sullivan gets a couple of months for that blow, and for the one after to Philly Mac. He looked very hyped up and could have done serious damage to both.
I think all non-dubs  can relax a bit ( Jinxy excepted) about the all-conquering Dublin team. Statistics tell us that the dubs flatter greatly in the end, they mostly either fall victim to a mysterious state of paralysis  or manage to get roundly beaten by a better team. But any Dublin fan could tell you that.

I was disappointed in Cork today, just from the perspective of having to witness a lop sided league final. We knew the Dubs would turn up today, on their home ground and  in front of their own fans they would be hard to dislodge, they didn't disappoint but Cork did.

INDIANA

Quote from: Main Street on April 26, 2015, 10:02:12 PM
Quote from: easytiger95 on April 26, 2015, 08:40:21 PM

I think all non-dubs  can relax a bit ( Jinxy excepted) about the all-conquering Dublin team. Statistics tell us that the dubs flatter greatly in the end, they mostly either fall victim to a mysterious state of paralysis  or manage to get roundly beaten by a better team. But any Dublin fan could tell you that.

I was disappointed in Cork today, just from the perspective of having to witness a lop sided league final. We knew the Dubs would turn up today, on their home ground and  in front of their own fans they would be hard to dislodge, they didn't disappoint but Cork did.

Sure you did the same against us a few weeks back in Clones. When you play defensively and it goes pear shaped you've got nothing else in your locker

Syferus

Quote from: From the Bunker on April 26, 2015, 09:56:32 PM
Quote from: Oraisteach on April 26, 2015, 09:45:56 PM

Two Division 2 Teams, Two Division 3 Teams and Two Division 4 Teams who have all achieved their primary goal for the league. All are on the way up, but Jez you can't be expecting miracles yet? Especially from the 3rd and 4th tier teams.

We're a D1 team now Bunky. Same as our neigbours. Same number of D1 titles in the last 36 years too..

In fairness no one is going to beat Dublin unless the media inflate their egos to such a degree that they float off into the atmosphere. They look to have learnt their lessons from last year.

moysider

Media nothing got to do with it.
Donegal beat Dublin last year because Donegal identified a weakness and it paid big time. They also got lucky and they could have been killed early.
Cork look a limited team. Hurley and O Neill make them seem scarier than they are and teams have learned how to deal with those 2 as well. I hear that Cork don't particularly like playin defensive. Well they'd want to get to like it cause their midfield isnt worth a shite and their defenders need all the help they can get.
Wouldn't rule out Kerry beating Dub later in the year. Best manager imo and may well have a better 15 by August/Sept. On the other hand Dublin are better defensively now.
As for the rest, I can't see any danger. Mayo, unfortunately, ran up the white flag when Horan walked away. It's between Kerry and Dublin.