All Ireland Minor Championship 2015

Started by twohands!!!, April 13, 2015, 10:25:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rodney trotter

Quote from: nrico2006 on May 26, 2015, 08:42:38 AM
Quote from: ck on May 25, 2015, 09:37:58 AM
10 of the St.Pats McRory Cup winning team are in the minor squad. They've been hammering teams in challenge games too I hear including Dublin and Meath. I have a few quid on them for Ulster and as you say will be straight into an All Ireland quarter at least.

Tyrone beat Cavan well a few weeks ago though and Tyrone are now out already.

It wasn't a full strength Cavan team.

nrico2006

Quote from: rodney trotter on May 27, 2015, 04:46:41 PM
10 of the St.Pats McRory Cup winning team are in the minor squad. They've been hammering teams in challenge games too I hear including Dublin and Meath. I have a few quid on them for Ulster and as you say will be straight into an All Ireland quarter at least.

I doubt they were missing too many men.  My gripe is with the joke of a system that means that the Tyrone minor team (and other Ulster sides who don't reach the provincial final) are out of the All Ireland while teams in Leinster and Munster will get a few lives.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Syferus

Quote from: nrico2006 on May 28, 2015, 08:17:49 AM

I doubt they were missing too many men.  My gripe is with the joke of a system that means that the Tyrone minor team (and other Ulster sides who don't reach the provincial final) are out of the All Ireland while teams in Leinster and Munster will get a few lives.

You'd know?

And tough shit.

ck

I can tell you that Cavan were missing half a team against Tyrone and still should have beaten them on the night.

It does seem rough on Ulster sides but then again Cork are already out of Munster so the best sides will still win no matter what the system. Your point on Tyrone being out is meaningless! They are out cos they deserve to be out, they lost ffs!

rodney trotter

Why do you doubt it? Take a look at the Cavan team that started and the team that started against Monaghan.

Tyrone were an average and weren't going to do much damage.

nrico2006

Quote from: ck on May 28, 2015, 01:27:18 PM

I can tell you that Cavan were missing half a team against Tyrone and still should have beaten them on the night.

It does seem rough on Ulster sides but then again Cork are already out of Munster so the best sides will still win no matter what the system. Your point on Tyrone being out is meaningless! They are out cos they deserve to be out, they lost ffs!

Not a fair system though.  You never know how a team will go if given a second chance.  Prime case was in 2009 when Tyrone were the better side but lost to Armagh courtesy of the referee incorrectly giving two penalties to Armagh.  Tyrone went out early yet Armagh won the All Ireland.  Not that it matters now, have you a team list for the shield game?
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Walter Cronc

RT how many of the St Pats Cavan team would have started for your minors against Monaghan.

Looking already like a Cavan/Donegal final in Ulster.

The Insider

Seen Roscommon minors in a challenge last week ,1st time I saw a minor team play with 14 backs at times, and that was with the wind ! . The main reason they led at halftime was that our free 5 backs did'nt know how to cope when they broke at speed . A great learning process for our lads but I can't see Meath employing the same tactics come end of June.

tippabu

What's peoples thought on how provincial championships are run off? Would you rather like in munster where you play it all off before the leaving cert and then play the final after the leaving? This way lads would be somewhat fresh for munster final and know they have an Ai 1/4 final so chances of injuries are less than say connaught where everything thing is played off after the leaving, this would give teams momentum and possibly more consistency but also opens you up to more chance of getting and not having time to get over injuries

INDIANA

Quote from: rodney trotter on May 28, 2015, 03:21:06 PM

Why do you doubt it? Take a look at the Cavan team that started and the team that started against Monaghan.

Tyrone's problem isn't the system. The problem with Tyrone as you say is that they are a whole lot of average these days.

Cavan have a fine side this year and a few forwards which is what their senior team needs.

Lot of gloom and doom merchants about Cavan last week. You need about 10 underage teams in quick succession to have a tilt at an AI. 4 Ulster u21's was never going to be enough even to win an Ulster Senior title.

Zulu

Quote from: INDIANA on May 28, 2015, 10:04:19 PM

Tyrone's problem isn't the system. The problem with Tyrone as you say is that they are a whole lot of average these days.

Cavan have a fine side this year and a few forwards which is what their senior team needs.

Lot of gloom and doom merchants about Cavan last week. You need about 10 underage teams in quick succession to have a tilt at an AI. 4 Ulster u21's was never going to be enough even to win an Ulster Senior title.

I wouldn't say that but you certainly need a few players who would be top 10 players in the country and ideally a forward or two who would make the 'Irish' team, if such a thing existed. All Ireland winners are usually decided by the team who has the better 5 rather than 15. Once you're a semi finalist type team your record in finals will come down to whether your best players are better than your opponents.

INDIANA

Quote from: Zulu on May 28, 2015, 10:26:58 PM

I wouldn't say that but you certainly need a few players who would be top 10 players in the country and ideally a forward or two who would make the 'Irish' team, if such a thing existed. All Ireland winners are usually decided by the team who has the better 5 rather than 15. Once you're a semi finalist type team your record in finals will come down to whether your best players are better than your opponents.

You'd be lucky to have 2 of the best players in the country on an AI Minor winning team in my view. It's usually 1.

At u21 level you could have none and win the AI.

Westside

What success did Donegal have to win an Ulster Senior? Or Monaghan?

manfromdelmonte

I think you can coach any amount of backs and midfielders through a rigid coaching system
However, to get great natural forwards there is a huge need for a focus on skill development ages 8-12. Both movement,  spatial and playing skills.

What makes a Gooch? Canavan? Joyce? Coulter?
That spark of magic. The ability to make something out of nothing. Play off the cuff. A huge base of skill.
Then loads of games, formal and informal.
I think coaches nowadays are forgetting how important informal games are for children. They try stuff there that they might use again in a proper game

Zulu

Quote from: INDIANA on May 28, 2015, 11:01:27 PM
Quote from: Zulu on May 28, 2015, 10:26:58 PM

You'd be lucky to have 2 of the best players in the country on an AI Minor winning team in my view. It's usually 1.

At u21 level you could have none and win the AI.

Yes, but Donegal got Murphy out of one and McBrearty out of another. Dublin have Kilkenny out of one and Costello out of another or Brogan out of one and Connolly out of another. Tyrone had O'Neill out of one and Canavan out of another. Kerry have Gooch out of one and O'Donoghue out of another.

Limerick could match the Kerry team of Darragh, Galvin and the Gooch from 1-9 but hadn't the forwards to make it count. All Ireland winners are about the O'Neill's, McManus's, Murphy's, Cooper's, OSe's, Connolly's, Flynn's, Cluxton's etc. The exceptional players that make the difference. Mayo would have won an all Ireland in the last couple of years if they had two top class forwards. Dillion and Moran were good but not great, O'Connor maybe great but isn't yet. It isn't only about forwards but they really make a difference. You can win underage titles with good all-round teams with some very good players but that only transfers to senior if you've some really great players.