All Ireland Minor Championship 2015

Started by twohands!!!, April 13, 2015, 10:25:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syferus

Quote from: Rossfan on May 18, 2015, 10:18:05 PM
We're very poor this year.
Unlikely to even make the Connacht Final.

Well we have a quaility midfielder in Murray and Darcy and McKeon are good forwards but it doesn't really matter if we're conceding 20 points a a game and five or six goals. I'd hope we'll shore up a little come championship when all the CBS lads are fully integrated into the panel and be able to give Sligo/Leitirm a big effort. Sure they managed to beat Sligo and Mayo without them in the league and Mayo are the hot favourites. Like last year winning that one and making the last 8 will be a good achievement for the panel.

twohands!!!

The state of play is that Kerry and Tipperary are into the Munster final/ All-Ireland quarter-finals.

Only one game has been played in Ulster the Donegal v Tyrone game yesterday which Donegal won.

No games played in Connacht yet.

In Leinster Longford v Meath are in one semi and Dublin v Kildare in the other.

All of these has a significant impact on the odds.

ck

Quote from: Syferus on May 18, 2015, 08:50:04 PM
Quote from: ck on May 18, 2015, 11:50:18 AM
Quote from: Put Up That Flag on May 17, 2015, 11:48:11 PM
Where are Tyrone in that list?  Oh that's right they are out of it already and it hardly the middle of May  ;D

Who beat Tyrone? I note that Cork are out of the Championship already and them supposed to be one of the favs for the All-Ireland!
Cavan have to be decent lads? They had serious school sides in last few years

Sure going by that Sligo should be a super power!

Watch this space Syf. Sligo minors will be there or thereabouts when it comes to silverware this year!

ck

Cavan minors are to be watched lads. I'm hearing great things about them from Breffni sources.

Westside

Quote from: ck on May 24, 2015, 11:23:31 PM
Cavan minors are to be watched lads. I'm hearing great things about them from Breffni sources.

I've honestly never heard anything else about a Cavan Minor team. Every single year we are Champions elect. Oddly enough one of the only years that there was no expectations was 2011 when we won Ulster. Monaghan were extremely poor today and coughed up two goals that put us out of sight. Thankfully we're on the good side of the draw and barring a big upset we should make the Ulster Final which also gives you a chance of an AIQF even if you lose.

ck

10 of the St.Pats McRory Cup winning team are in the minor squad. They've been hammering teams in challenge games too I hear including Dublin and Meath. I have a few quid on them for Ulster and as you say will be straight into an All Ireland quarter at least. 

Syferus

If winning provincal schools cups is such a boon I might as well book the hotel for the minor AISF.. Cavan may well be good but I'd question how much influence one school can have on a county panel. We've near enough the same number of CBS lads on our minor panel.

ck

Quote from: Syferus on May 25, 2015, 12:57:56 PM
If winning provincal schools cups is such a boon I might as well book the hotel for the minor AISF.. Cavan may well be good but I'd question how much influence one school can have on a county panel. We've near enough the same number of CBS lads on our minor panel.

Fair comment. Although there are a few of the Cavan lads very highly rated apparently.
Connacht is as wide open as it ever was at minor level. Very unpredictable

Rawhide

Did you notice how many of Dingles Hogan Cup wining team of last year were on the Kerry minor team that won the All Ireland last September?
cccc is a true supporter lol

Syferus

Quote from: Rawhide on May 25, 2015, 02:19:52 PM

Did you notice how many of Dingles Hogan Cup wining team of last year were on the Kerry minor team that won the All Ireland last September?

So where is all of Sligo's underage success on the back of Summerhill being one of the best schools teams in Connacht and Ireland for years? How about Down's? Derry's?

I think there's far more cases of counties with good schools teams not succeeding than there is of them succeeding. I'd love the opposite to be true because we have plenty of good schools teams in the different grades ourselves but it takes a lot of good management to make any schools players into IC minors and U21s. They may be all excellent players too, but they need players around them to beat good county teams. I think the underage county development system (from U14 up) is the definitive factor in a county producing a good underage county team.

I'd hope the CBS lads bring some of the defensive awareness that their system had back to the minor team because we've been leaking a lot of goals this year but I'm not expecting them to propel us to an AISF or AI final. If that were to happen the lads who have been playing all year will have had the bigger influence and learnt from their own mistakes.

Rawhide

Tyrone u21s this year had six players from the Holy Trinity Cookstown school that won the All Ireland vocational title three years ago, they also won the Ulster minor title that year too. Tyrone minor All Irelands wins were backboned by St Pats Dungannon and Omagh CBS Mac Rory cup winning teams. Derrys lack of success is a result of poor prep and poor managers, one of the other or both at times. County development squads developing the style of play is along term factor for success.i.e. Donegal minor and u21 teams are being coached to play the exact same way as their senior team
cccc is a true supporter lol

AZOffaly

How many of the schools are drawing on pupils from bordering counties? Schools football, and hurling, can be notoriously unreliable if the school is on a border somewhere and has pupils from neighbouring counties. St. Mary's Edenderry is a prime example, with a lot of lads from Carbury and other Kildare places, and I think even a couple of Meath lads. Our own school here in Newport has pupils from Murroe Boher and Ahane.

And that doesn't even consider boarding schools.

nrico2006

Quote from: ck on May 25, 2015, 09:37:58 AM
10 of the St.Pats McRory Cup winning team are in the minor squad. They've been hammering teams in challenge games too I hear including Dublin and Meath. I have a few quid on them for Ulster and as you say will be straight into an All Ireland quarter at least.

Tyrone beat Cavan well a few weeks ago though and Tyrone are now out already.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Mano

Quote from: ck on May 19, 2015, 12:35:03 PM
Quote from: Syferus on May 18, 2015, 08:50:04 PM
Quote from: ck on May 18, 2015, 11:50:18 AM
Quote from: Put Up That Flag on May 17, 2015, 11:48:11 PM
Where are Tyrone in that list?  Oh that's right they are out of it already and it hardly the middle of May  ;D

Who beat Tyrone? I note that Cork are out of the Championship already and them supposed to be one of the favs for the All-Ireland!
Cavan have to be decent lads? They had serious school sides in last few years

Sure going by that Sligo should be a super power!

Watch this space Syf. Sligo minors will be there or thereabouts when it comes to silverware this year!

You are setting us up for a big fall here CK. League has no bearing on championship performance or results. Leitrim in Carrick will be a big test and we should be focusing on that.

ck

Yes Mano I know I can get carried away. I saw them a few months back and was highly impressed and I would be familiar with a few of the players and they would be exceptional for minors. We can only live in hope!