All is rotten in Down and Roscommon

Started by giveballaghback, April 12, 2015, 08:49:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

giveballaghback

Colm O Rourke stated in  todays Irish indo that Down and The Rossies played rotten football in this years national league,
over to ye. This should be fun.

Rossfan

Reading Independent newspapers is bad for your health.
At least our keeper never passed the ball to the opposition full forward ;D
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

MourneArmy

Is there a link to this article?

May I add, Colm O'Rourke is my least favourite GAA pundit, and his views are certainly not objective when it comes to Down. Still hurting from 1991 I'm guessing  ::)

Syferus

I think we were the two teams soft enough to be playing football. The Leitrim man had us as a lock for the 2011 Connacht final too.

What is it about the Lovelies and begrudging the Ros. It makes Ros-Mayo look civil.

Mourne Rover

Colm O'Rourke attended Meath's win in Newry and would have been perfectly entitled to conclude Down had played `rotten football' that night. He could made an identical comment about our home defeat against Roscommon.

However, it is highly unlikely that O'Rourke was at the other five matches which we either won convincingly or came from behind to dramatically snatch the points.

Roscommon no doubt also had some mixed performances but, at the end of the league programme, the table does not lie and the best two sides in the division can been seen in the play-off at Croke Park.

Jinxy

I'm surprised he said that about Down.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

MourneArmy

The two highest scorers in division 2. Down played an attacking brand of football throughout the league. Any Laois fan in Newry on the last day would testify, Down we're happy to commit players forward into the scoring zones, which resulted in numerous goal scoring opportunities. Very entertaining stuff.

Shamrock Shore

Jazes

I have been listening to snippets of the Rossies in the League via Willie Hegaty's commentary and I would swear the Rossies were playing champagne football.

O'Rourke obviously doesn't tune into Shannonside.

orangeman

Jim said he was shocked when first met with a blanket in the Mc Kenna cup. Down have been scoring freely during the league.

Anyways, neither team / county will give a hoot - they're in top division next year and deserve to be.

Good luck to them.

The Black Mamba

I think in the article one of  his main gripes was overuse of handpassing and when it becomes ponderous and laborious which to be fair we are guilty of at times.

rosnarun

Why do so many GAA pundits seem to think its their job to denigrate the games (esp football) at every chance.
I have seen all mayo games in the league and many others on TVand it was a mixed bag but i enjoyed almost all of them on some level , but all of the paid pundits seem to think it was all poison and we are wsting our time watching   it and then wonder why yesterdays crowd was so small.
Is it just that there are more column inches in being Negative ( there some irony there but its early monday )
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

seafoid

Paddy Power have Ros at 33/1 and Down at 80/1 for Sam. Harder to get out of Ulster.

MourneArmy

Quote from: rosnarun on April 13, 2015, 10:07:23 AM
Why do so many GAA pundits seem to think its their job to denigrate the games (esp football) at every chance.
I have seen all mayo games in the league and many others on TVand it was a mixed bag but i enjoyed almost all of them on some level , but all of the paid pundits seem to think it was all poison and we are wsting our time watching   it and then wonder why yesterdays crowd was so small.
Is it just that there are more column inches in being Negative ( there some irony there but its early monday )

At present there seems to be a campaign of negativity in the media coming from ex-county players. It appears they are all feeding off each others negative comments to the point where it has almost become an anti-Gaelic football agenda. Every week we are reading new articles highlighting the 'plight of Gaelic football', which are repetitive, negative and utmost depressing. Yesterday we witnessed two enjoyable, high-scoring, competitive, and compelling league semi-finals. However, you can guarantee these games won't be afforded the same column inches as if they were defensive and low-scoring. These pundits, such as Joe Brolly and Colm O'Rourke, who confess their love for the game, are doing more harm than good. 

Aristo 60

Quote from: seafoid on April 13, 2015, 10:17:54 AM
Paddy Power have Ros at 33/1 and Down at 80/1 for Sam. Harder to get out of Ulster.

Nah it couldn't be that - the savvy down men just need a bit more coaxing to hand over their sterling!

MourneArmy

Quote from: seafoid on April 13, 2015, 10:17:54 AM

Seen that the other day, couldn't quite get my head around it. 33/1 seems a bit short for Roscommon. Though to be honest, outside of the top 4 (Dublin, Kerry, Donegal and Mayo), everyone else may as well be 100/1.