Muineachán v Áth Cliath, Páirc Thiarnaigh Naofa, 5ú Aibrean @ 1500

Started by GrandMasterFlash, March 31, 2015, 10:25:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GrandMasterFlash

Get the Easter eggs hunted out and ate good'n early lads.. Really looking forward to this one. A win would be great but looking forward to a good match in fortress Clones..

I can't see there being any changes to the Monaghan starting line-up from last week, and why would there be. Good to see Gavin Doogan named in the subs as we need additional mid-field cover in my opinion. Still no mention of Eoin Lennon which is unfortunate as he would also be a valuable asset.

You'd imagine both teams will be fielding 'championship like' line-ups which should make for a good encounter. Dublin could of course blitz us like the did last year and against Mayo this year but I feel it will be a tighter affair than both those encounters..

Sleater

It's good to see Paudie McKenna also back in the squad. Eoin Lennon is back training but not match fit yet. Same for Colin Walshe. That only leaves Chris McGuiness and Jack McCarron out injured with McGuinness particularly unlucky with his appendix operation. Squad strength has been serverly tested during this league campaign so it's great to see new players (McAnespie and Boyle) and indeed some fringe players stepping up (O'Connell). I was delighted that Owen Duffy made such an impact against Kerry, he's had a rough two years with injury.

The main thing is Monaghan have avoided relegation. Memories of two successive relegations and the knock on impact they had on those championship seasons would still be very fresh in minds of Monaghan players and supporters. With the upcoming grudge match against Cavan a relegation would have been demoralising. For this game my main worry is that with the pressure of relegation off, Monaghan may not have the same intensity as against Kerry. The Dubs will come to Clones expecting a tough challenge and will be up for it. I hope Monaghan will atone for that abysmal showing in Croke Park last year.

timmyot501

Any word on Stephen gollogly. Was surprised that he didn't feature at all last weekend .

Main Street

No hints yet which games TG4 will be showing, live and deferred.

Edit, as Gil Scott Heron might have said, "This game will not be televised"  fxxxxk
This is a game i'd get out of bed for, never mind missing the easter eggs. If the Dubs match our positivity, it should be a good, entertaining and competitive game.

straightred

Quote from: Main Street on March 31, 2015, 03:44:59 PM

Edit, as Gil Scott Heron might have said, "This game will not be televised"  fxxxxk
This is a game i'd get out of bed for, never mind missing the easter eggs. If the Dubs match our positivity, it should be a good, entertaining and competitive game.

TG4 advertised coverage for Mayo - Donegal and Tyrone - Kerry last night on their highlights programme

Niall8100

Pretty crazy that Monaghan matches haven't received any coverage in the league (live or highlights) since the Cork game. Very annoying when you're not in a position to be able to go to the games!  >:( At least we will this week I suppose.

timmyot501

Quote from: Niall8100 on March 31, 2015, 04:28:56 PM
Pretty crazy that Monaghan matches haven't received any coverage in the league (live or highlights) since the Cork game. Very annoying when you're not in a position to be able to go to the games!  >:( At least we will this week I suppose.

Niall8100 - Unfortunately the Mayo game was after the Cork game and it did get plenty of coverage on RTE and the media but for all the wrong reasons from Monaghans point of view.  Thankfully is has been by in large an isolated bad day at the office. 

Niall8100

Quote from: timmyot501 on March 31, 2015, 05:39:29 PM

Niall8100 - Unfortunately the Mayo game was after the Cork game and it did get plenty of coverage on RTE and the media but for all the wrong reasons from Monaghans point of view.  Thankfully is has been by in large an isolated bad day at the office.

Fair enough, Thinking back I wasn't about to see anything about the Mayo game. Must have been even worse than it sounded if it scared RTE from showing anything from Monaghan games for the next 3 rounds!

Main Street

It's not Monaghan, it's who we are playing. Nobody wants to watch the Dubs after last weeks horror show against Derry. The Dubs are not in vogue right now.

Main Street

Quote from: straightred on March 31, 2015, 03:55:45 PM
Quote from: Main Street on March 31, 2015, 03:44:59 PM

TG4 advertised coverage for Mayo - Donegal and Tyrone - Kerry last night on their highlights programme
Thanks, I just saw that after I posted  and therefore made an edit to my post.

Niall8100

Anyway, hopefully it'll be a good game, Monaghan definitely owe them one from last year's hammering!

Main Street

We owe them one just for the fact that they're Dubs. No further reason is needed.
Dubs fans here probably think it's beneath themselves to acknowledge that this game is upcoming. They feign some pseudo state of indifference, probably just in case they might lose, or there could be some arrogance that this tiddlywinks affair does not constitute the real game, between real players.

Johnnybegood

The real game happened in Croker last year. Men v boys on that occasion as far as  I remember.
It'll be a lot closer this time! It's actually a great practice game for us for when we play a top blanket team in the summer!
Seriously though Monaghan are goin well and will pose much more of a scoring threat than Derry did.
Should be a good occasion, last time in clones a draw after a great second half comeback by Monaghan if memory serves! The Monaghan crowd in the stand really vocally enjoyed it! Might put a tener on a draw

heffo

Quote from: Main Street on April 02, 2015, 12:42:49 AM
Dubs fans here probably think it's beneath themselves to acknowledge that this game is upcoming. They feign some pseudo state of indifference, probably just in case they might lose, or there could be some arrogance that this tiddlywinks affair does not constitute the real game, between real players.

Dublin have won the last two National league Division 1 titles.

Winning it this year does not feature on any targets.

Qualifying for the semi-final gives an extra game where some possibles get another chance to break into the Championship team.

Aside from that, we're safe and no-one could give a fiddlers whether they beat Monaghan Sunday - if you think otherwise you're seriously deluding yourself.

twohands!!!

1   Rory Beggan
2   Kieran Duffy
3   Drew Wylie
4   Ryan Wylie
5   Fintan Kelly
6   Vinny Corey
7   Karl O'Connell
8   Neil McAdam
9   Darren Hughes
10   Dessie Mone
11   Paul Finlay