Muineachán v Áth Cliath, Páirc Thiarnaigh Naofa, 5ú Aibrean @ 1500

Started by GrandMasterFlash, March 31, 2015, 10:25:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BluestackBoy

Quote from: twohands!!! on April 05, 2015, 07:42:42 PM
2 very decent saves by Beggan.

And as I type a poor one conceded by Dublin with Cluxton coming off second best under a high ball.

Cluxton is getting a bit of a name for not liking high balls. He didn't cover himself in glory for the first Donegal goal in last year's AI semi final either.
For what shall it profit a man if he gains the whole world & loses his soul.

Sleater

When i seen the dublin team line-out the other day, it had the look and feel that they were taking this game very seriously. I was worried monaghan wouldn't be switched one after securing Div 1 status and so it turned out that a more motivated Dublin were far superior. From a monaghan perspective it's very disappointing to get such a trimming with another meek response. Midfield was wiped out. McAdam is a trier but lacks the personality to dominate such an area. He's disciplined and will do a job, but he's just a stop gap until Lennon is match fit. CHB suits him more (as he did in 2013). That was minor though to the general attitude of the team. Defending en masse is fine as long as their is enough support when you attack , which is what the dubs were doing. Too often Monaghan attacked into blind alleys, usually soloing and losing possession. If not that, it was a badly hit pass to a teammate who was isolated. The Dubs forwards flooded forward and were looping little runs to receive passes, always an option.

INDIANA

Good performance. A lot of choice comments made during the week by some misguided individuals that we wouldn't be taking the game seriously were quite frankly bizarre.
Still next week will be difficult as Monaghan couldn't possibly be as bad as they were today. All the advantages will be with them. We're on a hiding to nothing next week.

heffo

Quote from: INDIANA on April 05, 2015, 10:20:56 PM
Good performance. A lot of choice comments made during the week by some misguided individuals that we wouldn't be taking the game seriously were quite frankly bizarre.
Still next week will be difficult as Monaghan couldn't possibly be as bad as they were today. All the advantages will be with them. We're on a hiding to nothing next week.

Quite ironic that we were castigated for our indifference yet it's now used as an excuse by Monaghan to explain another hiding.

Their full time week of warm weather training will be so huge advantage for next week and with their motivation levels restored you'd expect a Monaghan win next Sunday.

Wildweasel74

With that trimming the day, maybe you see why Derry had to play so defensive last week, a team getting hammered just as bad as a ugly low scoring game

Main Street

The Dubs are good at pressurising the kick-outs, especially good at moving their blanket defence into a blanket attack in an instant and were deadly accurate with point scoring.

But I shouldn't use the term ' blanket defence' to describe anything Dublin, the players are are just...... following orders.

Instead we should say  "Dublin's own half of the field was well marshalled"  or  "Dublin's defensive work-rate...kept Monaghan scoreless for 24 minutes"  "managed to have their own forwards helping out in front of goal."
Jim Gavin explains
"I think they are just following their men,"  "If Monaghan players attack, they have to be followed."
" I don't think we play a defensive game but I do expect our players to follow opposing markers when they go into our half."

INDIANA

Quote from: Main Street on April 06, 2015, 11:50:38 AM
The Dubs are good at pressurising the kick-outs, especially good at moving their blanket defence into a blanket attack in an instant and were deadly accurate with point scoring.

But I shouldn't use the term ' blanket defence' to describe anything Dublin, the players are are just...... following orders.

Instead we should say  "Dublin's own half of the field was well marshalled"  or  "Dublin's defensive work-rate...kept Monaghan scoreless for 24 minutes"  "managed to have their own forwards helping out in front of goal."
Jim Gavin explains
"I think they are just following their men,"  "If Monaghan players attack, they have to be followed."
" I don't think we play a defensive game but I do expect our players to follow opposing markers when they go into our half."

We don't set-up with 13 men behind the ball.

We play two sweepers when we turnover the ball this year and the rest just follow their men. if they don't attack they stay where they are. Its to guard against another Donegal disaster.

Contrast that with Monaghan- The minute you turnover the ball your middle five and corner forward just run back straight to the D in your own half. The difference was yesterday when Dublin broke the - the first pass was a kick pass which ensured you couldn't get back in time in the first 20 minutes.

You've some chip on your shoulder as regards Dublin. I'll get you a saucer of milk if you need it. With a week's professional training behind you this week you'd expect monaghan to win next week. gods knows what your reaction would be if it was us who went away.

straightred

After yesterday you'd have to think that the Dubs are getting their act together. Kicked some great scores from play particularily in the 2nd half when I don't think they had many wides. They hadn't many in the first half either come to think of it. Monaghan kicked some terrible wides in the second half and it might have been costly had the other results not went the way they did

Monaghan started sluggish - the goal came from a run the whole length of the pitch when noone seemed to want to put a challenge in. Suddenly they were 5 points down and there was only one team in it. I wasn't in Tralee last week but by all accounts they were great then so its hard to understand what happened them yesterday. I suppose it was opposite with the dubs - they were the other way, i.e. from brutal to great, in a week. i expect the dubs to win again next week but not as easily - hopefully Walshe is ready to return - he was badly missed yesterday.

Finally, the timing of the portugal trip seems strange. They mustn't have expected to get this far in the league or maybe they'll treat it as a bonus pre the championship. Easter week probably suits for getting everyone together but would a few days in an Irish hotel not have done them fine ? They must have plenty of money.

JoG2

Quote from: INDIANA on April 06, 2015, 12:56:20 PM

Jim Gavin explains

So when 13 men are behind the ball during the game, that's just off the cuff thinking by the players? That hasn't been worked on and honed on the training pitch? 2 on 1, 3 on 2 (minimum ratios) with all the channels well covered etc
When reading your posts I hear Pat Spillanes voice

INDIANA

Quote from: JoG2 on April 06, 2015, 01:29:22 PM
Quote from: INDIANA on April 06, 2015, 12:56:20 PM

Jim Gavin explains

So when 13 men are behind the ball during the game, that's just off the cuff thinking by the players? That hasn't been worked on and honed on the training pitch? 2 on 1, 3 on 2 (minimum ratios) with all the channels well covered etc
When reading your posts I hear Pat Spillanes voice

We don't have a game-plan where we set-up 13 men behind the ball delibarately. Its up to you what you want to believe.

Monaghan had no Plan B when the blanket failed yesterday.

heffo

Quote from: straightred on April 06, 2015, 01:28:47 PM
After yesterday you'd have to think that the Dubs are getting their act together.

One day they might click and have a bit of success alright.

straightred

Quote from: heffo on April 06, 2015, 01:37:01 PM
Quote from: straightred on April 06, 2015, 01:28:47 PM
After yesterday you'd have to think that the Dubs are getting their act together.

One day they might click and have a bit of success alright.

Smartarse !
They've put in 2 really good performances in the league (this and Mayo) and  are shaping up really well for the summer. Pity donegal got that equaliser yesterday - i'd have much preferred meeting Cork next week

Main Street

We don't call it the blanket defence in Dublin  it's just a coincidence that we are all there together in our own half, after following the monaghan players around.  It's not a deliberate tactic, it just happens and  we don't intend for this to happen. It's a spontaneous blanket defence formation in response to monaghan's temerity to enter our half of the field.

Maguire01

Dublin were every bit as defensive as Monaghan yesterday, the biggest difference is that they were able to shoot from distance right over the top of the defence (with some fantastic shots).

Very few positives from a Monaghan perspective, but good performances from Beggan, K Duffy, D Hughes and O Duffy.

INDIANA

Quote from: Main Street on April 06, 2015, 03:16:28 PM
We don't call it the blanket defence in Dublin  it's just a coincidence that we are all there together in our own half, after following the monaghan players around.  It's not a deliberate tactic, it just happens and  we don't intend for this to happen. It's a spontaneous blanket defence formation in response to monaghan's temerity to enter our half of the field.

Well done it took a while- but you got there in the end. Give us a shout when you can score 1-22 playing a blanket defence.