WestMeath v Roscommon

Started by Shrewdness, March 30, 2015, 01:46:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ross4life

Quote from: Rossfan on March 30, 2015, 05:38:31 PM
Will we be seriously going for it or will we be starting all the non regulars.
Also Smith and Murtagh D.playing U21 Final Sat night. They got 1-6 of our 1-10 yesterday.
Whyte
Fetherstone Collins Stack
B Murtagh  Kelly Ward
Higgins Nally
.Cafferky Healy Daly C
Connolly Compton CMurtagh.

Can leave the non regulars for the league final in a few weeks  ;)

While its not right & is another example of how the GAA schedule is fcuked up Enda Smith,Diarmuid Murtagh are use to playing twice in two days with their colleges. Fingers & toes crossed no injuries.

Westmeath didn't hold back on us in 2008 when we were in relegation battle. After yesterday very disappointing performance i would hope for positive reaction & i would expect a dogfight in Mullingar Sunday.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Shrewdness

It's often said about Roscommon, that we usually follow a bad performance with a great one.. In this league, we were flat when drawing with Cavan, before delivering an impressive win in Newry.. That was followed by a shite performance in Portlaoise, before we then shot the lights out in Newbridge with 0-24... Let's hope yesterday's shambles is now followed with an impressive win next Sunday...Can't help feeling that it's going to be very close.

neilthemac

Quote from: Mike Sheehy on March 30, 2015, 10:34:22 PM
If I understand correctly Athlone is considered Westmeath even if half of it is in Roscommon. What is stopping them extending the boundary and just taking over the whole shop ?

All of Athlone is in Westmeath.
The boundary more or less goes along the bypass.
Roscommon Council ceded the west bank to Westmeath back in the late 1800s
However, unlike the other end of the county when it comes to GAA, we're not bitter about things like that.

Syferus

Quote from: neilthemac on March 31, 2015, 12:01:29 AM
If I understand correctly Athlone is considered Westmeath even if half of it is in Roscommon. What is stopping them extending the boundary and just taking over the whole shop ?

However, unlike the other end of the county when it comes to GAA, we're not bitter about things like that.

Plenty of people with Athlone, County Roscommon addresses. The town (urban area) was ceded for admitstrative purposes in 1898, most of the town that now exists simply didn't when that happened and most of the growth in the Athlone area has occurred outside the town proper so it hardly applies in the manner you're suggesting.

Everything west of the Shannon remains in the county of Roscommon. The difference between it and the Ballagh situation are very signifcant.

weareros

Quote from: Syferus on March 31, 2015, 12:05:35 AM

Plenty of people with Athlone, County Roscommon addresses. It was only ceded for admitstrative  purposes. Everything west of the Shannon remains in the county of a Roscommon. The difference between it and the Ballagh situation is very stark.

Why does the Hodson Bay Hotel give its official address as Westmeath. Even taking the admin area into consideration that is surely Roscommon.

Syferus

Quote from: weareros on March 31, 2015, 12:09:39 AM

Plenty of people with Athlone, County Roscommon addresses. It was only ceded for admitstrative  purposes. Everything west of the Shannon remains in the county of a Roscommon. The difference between it and the Ballagh situation is very stark.

Why does the Hodson Bay Hotel give its official address as Westmeath. Even taking the admin area into consideration that is surely Roscommon.

They're geographically challenged, I guess. Sure they sponsor Brigids and Roscommon club championships..

Ballinasloe (urban) was in Roscommon until the same year too.

Mike Sheehy

Plenty of people with Athlone, County Roscommon addresses. The town (urban area) was ceded for admitstrative purposes in 1898, most of the town that now exists simply didn't when that happened and most of the growth in the Athlone area has occurred outside the town proper so it hardly applies in the manner you're suggesting.

Everything west of the Shannon remains in the county of Roscommon. The difference between it and the Ballagh situation are very signifcant.

really ?  surely most people in Athlone would identify as Westmeath so I assume the parallels with Ballaghaderreen are pretty straightforward.

weareros

Quote from: Mike Sheehy on March 31, 2015, 01:38:40 AM

really ?  surely most people in Athlone would identify as Westmeath so I assume the parallels with Ballaghaderreen are pretty straightforward.

Would depend on the part of Athlone. Someone like Count John McCormack identified as Westmeath while another Athlone man Brendan Shine identified as Roscommon. The historic side of Athlone (Castle) is on the Roscommon side and has a rich heritage with Connacht history. But really no bitterness there like in Ballagh. Athlone sometimes gets a bad rap and has its problems. But it's a lovely town, a real jewel on the Shannon.

Syferus

Quote from: weareros on March 31, 2015, 01:57:27 AM

Would depend on the part of Athlone. Someone like Count John McCormack identified as Westmeath while another Athlone man Brendan Shine identified as Roscommon. The historic side of Athlone (Castle) is on the Roscommon side and has a rich heritage with Connacht history. But really no bitterness there like in Ballagh. Athlone sometimes gets a bad rap and has its problems. But it's a lovely town, a real jewel on the Shannon.

No need to feed him further. It's an interesting situation though. The administrative transfer was somewhat nullified by how Athlone expanded as an area in the intervening century.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Syferus on March 31, 2015, 02:02:12 AM

No need to feed him further. It's an interesting situation though. The administrative transfer was somewhat nullified by how Athlone expanded as an area in the intervening century.
Uh, huh?
Maybe it's because I haven't had my first cup of coffee yet but, whatever the reason, I'm afraid that the above is about as clear as ditch water.
Even Rossfan, when he loses the run of himself, couldn't come up with less intelligible stuff.  :D
It seems you are saying that, given the growth of Athlone in the intervening period, the urban area had grown in size and now extends into County Roscommon.
Fair enough so far. You seem happy with this but I'm at a loss to understand why you are.
Are the new built up areas under the aegis of the Ross County Council or are they part of Westmeath for administrative purposes?
What about the GAA in those areas, will players opt to play for Ross or Westmeath?
It seems odd to me that, while most Rossie GAA folk are sore about Ballagh refusing to play with you, nobody seems too worried about the land grab on your eastern front.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

AZOffaly

Same thing in Limerick re. Clare. The Shannon should be the boundary, and lots of Clare people will tell you that Thomond Park, The Gaelic Grounds and everything else west of the Shannon are in Clare.

They're wrong of course, but that's what they'll tell you :)

shark

Quote from: Lar Naparka on March 31, 2015, 10:41:34 AM
Quote from: Syferus on March 31, 2015, 02:02:12 AM

Uh, huh?
Maybe it's because I haven't had my first cup of coffee yet but, whatever the reason, I'm afraid that the above is about as clear as ditch water.
Even Rossfan, when he loses the run of himself, couldn't come up with less intelligible stuff.  :D
It seems you are saying that, given the growth of Athlone in the intervening period, the urban area had grown in size and now extends into County Roscommon.
Fair enough so far. You seem happy with this but I'm at a loss to understand why you are.
Are the new built up areas under the aegis of the Ross County Council or are they part of Westmeath for administrative purposes?
What about the GAA in those areas, will players opt to play for Ross or Westmeath?
It seems odd to me that, while most Rossie GAA folk are sore about Ballagh refusing to play with you, nobody seems too worried about the land grab on your eastern front.

There is no land grab in a GAA sense though. Neither Athlone GAA nor Garrycastle take players from the 'expanded' areas to the west of Athlone. People from these areas, like Monksland mentioned above, play for Clann na Gael generally. In fact one problem that Athlone GAA have been having in recent years (among many, they are now intermediate) is that many of their players have transferred to Clann. On the Westmeath side of course it is a free for all, as we have no parish rule.

Rossfan

Uh, huh?
Are you a biteen "academically challenged" Lar??
The built up area on the "Connert" side ( as D'Atloane townies say) in 1898 was transferred to Westmeath. The Western areas that became built up since are in Co Roscommon - both Council and GAA.
As for no rows - Athlone ( good oul garrison town) is so soccer ridden that they hardly know there are such things as Gaelic games.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

AZOffaly

Quote from: Rossfan on March 31, 2015, 11:36:26 AM
Uh, huh?
Are you a biteen "academically challenged" Lar??
The built up area on the "Connert" side ( as D'Atloane townies say) in 1898 was transferred to Westmeath. The Western areas that became built up since are in Co Roscommon - both Council and GAA.
As for no rows - Athlone ( good oul garrison town) is so soccer ridden that they hardly know there are such things as Gaelic games.

Really, tell that to the various Dolans, and other Garrycastle lads, not to mention Rory O'Connell, Ollie Keating and that other lunatic full forward from the 90s that the westmeath lads might remember.

Rossfan

All the real townies that I know have no interest in De Gaaaaaylick.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM