Maigh Eo v Dun na nGall, Pairc Mhic Eil, 5ú Aibrean @ 1500

Started by macdanger2, March 30, 2015, 09:43:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

From the Bunker

Quote from: Conallach on April 05, 2015, 06:51:01 PM
Quite a bad tempered wee match, probably could have been better officiated but sure that's how it goes.

Draw was a fair result really, I don't think either team will be too worked up about it. Mayo were ok, little bit wasteful, but I'm sure that having Cillian O'Connor back will help with that.

Moran, McGlynn, MacNiallais, Both Ó Sé's and McBrearty were really good.

I've no real interest in seeing Donegal go much further, would prefer if Rory sent a few of the lads needing game time out next week against Cork, the like of Thompson, O'Connor, or Eoin McHugh.

Making the knock outs is a bum deal. Somewhere along the line you will meet Dublin (who are playing at home) and you don't want to be showing your hand to one of the king-pins and you definitely don't want to get tanked (or in our case tanked again).  The League Final humiliation to Dublin destroyed any good work Derry had done last year.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: ballinaman on April 05, 2015, 06:47:32 PM
No game for 11 weeks now or something.
Lack of killer instinct is getting ridiculous.
Either fall over the line or get done 9 times out of 10.
That's it in a nutshell. Kicked 12 wides to Donegal's 5. Makes you wonder about forward coaching in thhe county.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

twohands!!!

Quote from: StephenC on April 05, 2015, 07:11:09 PM
Ha. 2 games? Don't we have to win the first one? :D

Extremely disappointed that the U21s were played the whole game. They have a huge game coming up and the way tackles were flying around at the end, could easily have picked up injuries.

Some of our decision making was terrible - taking the ball into contact (Karl! Sort it out) and getting pinned at the sideline. If Mayo had a left footed free-taker or had the eyes in, we would have been beaten comfortably.

Great crowd at it and lovely weather.

Compare how the Donegal U21s played almost the full game (Ryan McHugh played the full game and Hugh McFadden only "came off"  because he was black-carded around the 50 minute mark) while in the Tyrone game, they played Curran in goals as opposed to Fox, when Morgan wasn't available.

Nearly as daft as both McHugh and McFadden playing the complete U21 game on Wednesday in a game that was won by 13 points.

Really have to wonder about the quality of the management in Donegal with that sort of carry-on.

BluestackBoy

Quote from: From the Bunker on April 05, 2015, 07:13:55 PM
Quote from: Conallach on April 05, 2015, 06:51:01 PM
Quite a bad tempered wee match, probably could have been better officiated but sure that's how it goes.

Draw was a fair result really, I don't think either team will be too worked up about it. Mayo were ok, little bit wasteful, but I'm sure that having Cillian O'Connor back will help with that.

Moran, McGlynn, MacNiallais, Both Ó Sé's and McBrearty were really good.

I've no real interest in seeing Donegal go much further, would prefer if Rory sent a few of the lads needing game time out next week against Cork, the like of Thompson, O'Connor, or Eoin McHugh.

Making the knock outs is a bum deal. Somewhere along the line you will meet Dublin (who are playing at home) and you don't want to be showing your hand to one of the king-pins and you definitely don't want to get tanked (or in our case tanked again).  The League Final humiliation to Dublin destroyed any good work Derry had done last year.

Bring it on ;D ;D ;D
For what shall it profit a man if he gains the whole world & loses his soul.

StephenC

Quote from: twohands!!! on April 05, 2015, 07:17:18 PM

Extremely disappointed that the U21s were played the whole game. They have a huge game coming up and the way tackles were flying around at the end, could easily have picked up injuries.

Some of our decision making was terrible - taking the ball into contact (Karl! Sort it out) and getting pinned at the sideline. If Mayo had a left footed free-taker or had the eyes in, we would have been beaten comfortably.

Compare how the Donegal U21s played almost the full game (Ryan McHugh played the full game and Hugh McFadden only "came off"  because he was black-carded around the 50 minute mark) while in the Tyrone game, they played Curran in goals as opposed to Fox, when Morgan wasn't available.

Nearly as daft as both McHugh and McFadden playing the complete U21 game on Wednesday in a game that was won by 13 points.

Really have to wonder about the quality of the management in Donegal with that sort of carry-on.

Well, I suppose the quality of the management is probably better judged by the fact that the lads are in the Ulster final, but for sure it's hard to see how Maxi would be happy with this.

twohands!!!

Quote from: StephenC on April 05, 2015, 07:19:38 PM

Well, I suppose the quality of the management is probably better judged by the fact that the lads are in the Ulster final, but for sure it's hard to see how Maxi would be happy with this.

I'd love to hear the logic of leaving 2 lads who were solid odds to play in the game today and have already played a serious chunk of the league in a game that was won by 13 points, especially with an Ulster final only a week away.

It's very hard to see that as anything but poor management.

moysider

Still feeling cross after that.
I know we don t really want to be in a semi, and playing like that have no business being there, but its not the point imo.
Old failings are still there and maybe a few new ones added for good measure. If we had been fighting for our Div 1 lives I honestly believe we d have let it slip the same way. We were actually trying to win this game and we could not. It would be same in championship unless we get our act together.
New lads and old lads losing the plot. Both Patrick Durcan and Michael Conroy - lads at either end of their careers suffering from similar heebee geebees when the game was there to be killed off. It s nothing new but somebody needs to make it go away.
But as usual we had some fine performances and we defended well enough when we realised we had to drop more players back after Donegal's good start.
We probably could have done without losing the 3 lads before throw-in. We needed footballers like Tom and Dillon today.
The end game was stupid as well. I m all for cynical but surely Vaughan knew yellow + black = red and he couldn t be replaced. When O Connor got blackcarded it meant that we were down to 13 for for last Donegal point. Still should have held out probably. You d have to ask if we would be allowed score in those circumstances? I really doubt it. At the end of the day I can only conclude we got what we deserved.
Kirby is no improvement on Freeman at ff and that s putting it mildly. Our  forwards not scoring enough. We had 12 wides today and top scorer again was a midfielder. Well done Barry. He s a lot to offer yet.

anfheardubh

Quote from: twohands!!! on April 05, 2015, 07:23:23 PM

I'd love to hear the logic of leaving 2 lads who were solid odds to play in the game today and have already played a serious chunk of the league in a game that was won by 13 points, especially with an Ulster final only a week away.

get a grip they are both young fellas and should be mad for ball and full of legs

its not prima donna soccer players you are on about, i would see a problem if they didnt want to play

pathetic attack on a manager who has taken his side to an ulster final and i aint a clubmen of his or do i know him

wind your neck in and appreciate the commitment these players give

For many are called, but few are chosen.

From the Bunker

Quote from: anfheardubh on April 05, 2015, 08:38:59 PM
Quote from: twohands!!! on April 05, 2015, 07:23:23 PM

get a grip they are both young fellas and should be mad for ball and full of legs

its not prima donna soccer players you are on about, i would see a problem if they didnt want to play

pathetic attack on a manager who has taken his side to an ulster final and i aint a clubmen of his or do i know him

wind your neck in and appreciate the commitment these players give

Yeah, seen it before. Player is burned out, Chronic injury at 25 or missed out on an underage title from not being 100% on the day!

Jinxy

Quote from: moysider on April 05, 2015, 07:26:19 PM
Still feeling cross after that.
I know we don t really want to be in a semi, and playing like that have no business being there, but its not the point imo.
Old failings are still there and maybe a few new ones added for good measure. If we had been fighting for our Div 1 lives I honestly believe we d have let it slip the same way. We were actually trying to win this game and we could not. It would be same in championship unless we get our act together.
New lads and old lads losing the plot. Both Patrick Durcan and Michael Conroy - lads at either end of their careers suffering from similar heebee geebees when the game was there to be killed off. It s nothing new but somebody needs to make it go away.
But as usual we had some fine performances and we defended well enough when we realised we had to drop more players back after Donegal's good start.
We probably could have done without losing the 3 lads before throw-in. We needed footballers like Tom and Dillon today.
The end game was stupid as well. I m all for cynical but surely Vaughan knew yellow + black = red and he couldn t be replaced. When O Connor got blackcarded it meant that we were down to 13 for for last Donegal point. Still should have held out probably. You d have to ask if we would be allowed score in those circumstances? I really doubt it. At the end of the day I can only conclude we got what we deserved.
Kirby is no improvement on Freeman at ff and that s putting it mildly. Our  forwards not scoring enough. We had 12 wides today and top scorer again was a midfielder. Well done Barry. He s a lot to offer yet.

No offence to any of ye Mayo lads, but I was delighted Donegal got the draw after I saw what O'Connor did.
It's something I really hate to see, especially when there is absolutely no effort to even make it look like a tackle.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Farrandeelin

Did Boyle pick up a knock? If not why in God's name take him off. The chips were down at that stage. We'll more than likely meet Galway next. Not ideal given they'll already have played 2 championship games. They finished strong in the league too. It's in Salthill. Management better buck up.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

The Black Mamba

How has Diarmuid O Connor performed in the league for Mayo? Heard Martin Carney really talking him up, saying he'd add a new dimension to Mayo's attack. The few times I've seen him play I haven't been that impressed, would ye think he has the potential to really make a difference?

Syferus

Quote from: The Black Mamba on April 06, 2015, 01:23:06 AM
How has Diarmuid O Connor performed in the league for Mayo? Heard Martin Carney really talking him up, saying he'd add a new dimension to Mayo's attack. The few times I've seen him play I haven't been that impressed, would ye think he has the potential to really make a difference?

I heard from people that played with and against him that the knock against DO'C is that if you get a good rattle at him it can seriously effect his game. They all say he's as talented as advertised. Just needs to harden up a bit I'd say.

maigheo

Of all of that 2013 minor team I thought he would be the most likely to make  it but while he has done some good things so far he still has a long way to go.I would be confidant he will be come a top class senior player in the years to come as he has a great attitude and is very willing to learn.

galwayman

This is totally off-topic but as the previous post referenced the 2013 minor side...
Was Liam Irwin injured this year or what was the reason for him not featuring for the u21s?
None of the 2013 minor forwards played u21 this year I think