League Sunday...

Started by Niall8100, March 29, 2015, 11:55:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Niall8100

To be honest I think it's been pretty useless as a highlights show and tonight was another example.

Firstly the show tonight was 45 minutes long, which was nowhere near the time needed to actually show a decent amount of highlights.

They started with hurling and fair enough there was a lot of important matches to show and have absolutely no problem with that, but then they decide to talk about Henry Shefflin again for a good while even though his retirement has been talked to death all week and they have feck all time to work with as it is.

Finally the football highlights were absolutely useless. Of course the first game they show is the Dublin V Derry match, which wasn't even on today and was widely regarded as one of the worst games to watch in recent memory. The only other game they then show was Cork V Mayo, which was talked about for about 3 minutes total, and that was it!

No mention of Monaghan's first win over Kerry in 27 years, no mention of an effective relegation playoff between Donegal and Tyrone and no talk of division 2 where 5 teams are still fighting for promotion with 1 game left.

I honestly think there's no point in doing such a half-hearted effort at a show. Either do it properly or not at all. End rant! :P

BennyCake

TG4 will have better coverage tomorrow. RTE's is pathetic.

larryin89

A fookin shambles is what rte s coverage of Gaa is .
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

Maguire01

The programme was a waste of time. It wasn't just that two D1 games had no highlights, but that the results weren't even mentioned, both of which were significant in their own rught, but also go a long way to determining the outcome of the division.

Similarly with D3, passing reference to Armagh and Fermanagh but no mention that both are now actually promoted. With one round left you'd expect at least some analysis of the various permutations.

rrhf

Rte don't care at this time of year.

50fiftyball

Joke of a show, really don't seem to show us any reason why we shouldn't subscribe to the likes of Setanta and Sky.

neilthemac

More people attend GAA county games at this time of year than Rugby or Soccer the whole year around, yet both get their own midweek discussion programmes.

RTE are actually failing their licence payers in providing a service.

I wish they'd just hand all coverage over to TG4 who do such an excellent job

ck

Last nights show was an absolute embarrassment. Tokenism at it's best.
Highlights from a game that was already on live the night before and then long discussion how Gaelic Football was in trouble. Most games yesterday decided who would be promoted and relegated yet they weren't even mentioned. The results weren't even discussed. RTE should be ashamed of themselves standing over this crap.

macdanger2

neilthemac

Who is head of GAA in RTE? Or is there one?

charlie linkbox

I wouldn't usually be one for e-mailing complaints but that Sunday League programme last night was so bad that I sent the e-mail below to RTE this morning.

Dear RTE,

I wish to register my disgust at the quality of your League Sunday programme last night.

Firstly you placed great emphasis on the weekend's hurling matches on your programme last night which is fair enough, as the importance of the league quarter finals and relegation play-offs were worthy of such coverage.

However, your gaelic football coverage was deplorable. It was amateurish to the point of embarrassing. A number of notable developments took place in the football leagues over the past weekend;

1.Monaghan secured their first win over Kerry since 1987 and their Division 1 status for next year,
2.Donegal laid down a marker for their championship opener with Tyrone later in the year by handing Tyrone a crushing defeat yesterday,
3.The Division 2 league results over the weekend mean that going into the last round of games there are two points between the first five teams, which sets the scene for an interesting and exciting final round of games next weekend,
4.Armagh and Fermanagh secured their promotion to Division 2 for next season, and
5.Longford secured their promotion to Division 3 for next season.

Yet bizarrely NONE of the above was deemed worthy of mention or comment last night. All of the above were positive stories to emerge over the weekend but instead RTE, as is your norm, chose to focus on the Dublin vs Derry game and how it represents all that is wrong with gaelic football at present. As it happens I have no issue with highlighting and analysing the awful spectacle that was the Dublin vs Derry game; that game was so bad that it would have been remiss of you to ignore it. However, in the interests of balance, I feel that at least some of the positive gaelic football stories listed above were worthy of mention and discussion as well rather than ignoring them completely.

It is not as if you did not have the time to provide a more in-depth analysis of the weekend's gaelic football. To close the programme you "treated" the viewer to yet another montage paying homage to Henry Shefflin and his playing career, a subject that has been flogged to death at this stage. The decision was obviously taken by your producers to fill the remaining time left on your programme with this "filler item" in lieu of making the effort to give the weekend's gaelic football the proper analysis it deserved. That represents a staggering level of incompetence, laziness and amateurism on your behalf. Who made that decision? Are they deemed to be competent at their job and if so, why?

You may respond to me stating that it is not feasible to have a camera at every game in order to produce a more comprehensive highlights package. However, the viewer does not expect a highlights package covering every single game that takes place over a given weekend; we expect a quality of analysis of the games, and this is sadly lacking. Yet, notwithstanding this point, the quality of the footage of the Cork vs Mayo game was so poor that I suspect it was shot on an iphone or other such device. Therefore, if that is the standard of footage deemed acceptable to RTE then I would contend that it would be feasible for RTE to have a correspondent at every game with an iphone with which to record the action for your highlights show.

RTE runs advertisements on the television these days about how much value for money people are getting for paying their TV License. Unfortunately your own belief in your own quality is sadly misplaced. Last night's League Sunday programme represented all that is wrong with RTE's GAA coverage and regrettably, nobody is surprised anymore.

Yours in disgust,

CL

BennyCake

RTE should be showing highlights from every Div 1 and 2 games every week. That's the minimum expected.

GaillimhIarthair

Quote from: neilthemac on March 30, 2015, 11:29:13 AM
Who is head of GAA in RTE? Or is there one?
Head of sport is still Ryle Nugent as far as I know.................

seafoid

Quote from: charlie linkbox on March 30, 2015, 12:25:10 PM
I wouldn't usually be one for e-mailing complaints but that Sunday League programme last night was so bad that I sent the e-mail below to RTE this morning.

Dear RTE,

I wish to register my disgust at the quality of your League Sunday programme last night.

Firstly you placed great emphasis on the weekend's hurling matches on your programme last night which is fair enough, as the importance of the league quarter finals and relegation play-offs were worthy of such coverage.

However, your gaelic football coverage was deplorable. It was amateurish to the point of embarrassing. A number of notable developments took place in the football leagues over the past weekend;

1.Monaghan secured their first win over Kerry since 1987 and their Division 1 status for next year,
2.Donegal laid down a marker for their championship opener with Tyrone later in the year by handing Tyrone a crushing defeat yesterday,
3.The Division 2 league results over the weekend mean that going into the last round of games there are two points between the first five teams, which sets the scene for an interesting and exciting final round of games next weekend,
4.Armagh and Fermanagh secured their promotion to Division 2 for next season, and

Yet bizarrely NONE of the above was deemed worthy of mention or comment last night. All of the above were positive stories to emerge over the weekend but instead RTE, as is your norm, chose to focus on the Dublin vs Derry game and how it represents all that is wrong with gaelic football at present. As it happens I have no issue with highlighting and analysing the awful spectacle that was the Dublin vs Derry game; that game was so bad that it would have been remiss of you to ignore it. However, in the interests of balance, I feel that at least some of the positive gaelic football stories listed above were worthy of mention and discussion as well rather than ignoring them completely.

It is not as if you did not have the time to provide a more in-depth analysis of the weekend's gaelic football. To close the programme you "treated" the viewer to yet another montage paying homage to Henry Shefflin and his playing career, a subject that has been flogged to death at this stage. The decision was obviously taken by your producers to fill the remaining time left on your programme with this "filler item" in lieu of making the effort to give the weekend's gaelic football the proper analysis it deserved. That represents a staggering level of incompetence, laziness and amateurism on your behalf. Who made that decision? Are they deemed to be competent at their job and if so, why?

You may respond to me stating that it is not feasible to have a camera at every game in order to produce a more comprehensive highlights package. However, the viewer does not expect a highlights package covering every single game that takes place over a given weekend; we expect a quality of analysis of the games, and this is sadly lacking. Yet, notwithstanding this point, the quality of the footage of the Cork vs Mayo game was so poor that I suspect it was shot on an iphone or other such device. Therefore, if that is the standard of footage deemed acceptable to RTE then I would contend that it would be feasible for RTE to have a correspondent at every game with an iphone with which to record the action for your highlights show.

RTE runs advertisements on the television these days about how much value for money people are getting for paying their TV License. Unfortunately your own belief in your own quality is sadly misplaced. Last night's League Sunday programme represented all that is wrong with RTE's GAA coverage and regrettably, nobody is surprised anymore.

Yours in disgust,

CL

RTE may come back with the Liam O'Neill defence

"Those that want to constantly refer to those that won't get to see those games will harp on and quite frankly you couldn't please everybody anyway and that's the nature of it.

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: charlie linkbox on March 30, 2015, 12:25:10 PM

Dear RTE,

Yours in disgust,

CL

Very good Charlie, unfortunatly i dont hold out much hope of a satifactory reply, or even anyone at RTE paying much notice.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either