Previous topic - Next topic

Football

Change rules
44 (45.4%)
Leave her be
53 (54.6%)

Total Members Voted: 97

Keyser soze

Hahaha Zulu you're the wilest spoofer, what a complete load of sh1te you talk.

Jinxy

Just roar at them until they do it right.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

AZOffaly

AZOffaly

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on April 22, 2015, 12:19:54 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on April 22, 2015, 12:10:15 PM
OK, interesting. I still do drills for teaching, but I usually structure the sessions

1 - warm up incorporating FMS
2 - small sided games
3 - 1 or 2 max teaching drills on a specific skill
4 - conditioned or short sided games focused on rewarding that skill

For older players the last game can be a full sided game every so often if numbers allow.

I would swap 2 & 3 around and use the 'drills' as part of the warm-up.  Then if you were focusing on a particular skill in the 'drills' I would emphasize that in the small games, eg footpassing only, handpssing only.  Then push onto the 'bigger' game.

I'm comfortable with the way I'm doing it at the moment for kids. I find the first game helps calm them for the skills.

For adults or older kids the first game is usually a possession or support game to get their blood pumping.j

Jinxy

If you were any use you'd be playing.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Keyser soze on April 22, 2015, 12:46:41 PM

why do you say that? I think he has some very good ideas and tries a lot of new things.

Keyser soze

Quote from: AZOffaly on April 22, 2015, 01:54:17 PM

why do you say that? I think he has some very good ideas and tries a lot of new things.

Well anybody that is seriously claiming to be coaching or managing and is happy to instil a mindset among the team that he would happily concede 6-19 needs their head examined and can't really ask to be taken seriously.

AZOffaly

Ah, I see what you mean. I doubt he really would be happy to concede 6-19, but sure he can speak for himself I suppose :)

We had a soccer manager who had a philosophy 'They score 4, we score 5'. He lasted one year. There were far more 4-1 defeats than 5-4 victories :)

Zulu

Quote from: Keyser soze on April 22, 2015, 02:12:42 PM

Well anybody that is seriously claiming to be coaching or managing and is happy to instil a mindset among the team that he would happily concede 6-19 needs their head examined and can't really ask to be taken seriously.

Oh dear, you've stumbled into a big boys discussion and are struggling to follow. I picked two exaggerated score lines to illustrate the point that underage coaches and managers should be coaching in a positive, go out a win mentality using the skills of the game rather than one focused on systems and tactics that make you 'difficult to break down'. If your underage system is producing skilled, rounded, intelligent footballers they will quickly be able to play any system that coaches require when they are older. More importantly they'll be able to think their way through opponents tactics and have the skill set to execute.

By the way, if my U14 or U12 teams conceded 6-19 and scored 6-20 I'd be perfectly happy, winning is the name of the game according to some so why should you be happy to win a game 0-6 to 0-5 but unhappy to win one 6-19 to 6-20?

muppet

Attack or defence used to be a glass half full, or half empty, sort of question.

Now the glass is covered by so many blankets, no-one knows anymore.
MWWSI 2017

AZOffaly

Quote from: muppet on April 22, 2015, 02:39:43 PM
Attack or defence used to be a glass half full, or half empty, sort of question.

Now the glass is covered by so many blankets, no-one knows anymore.

Now the glass is hid at the back of the cupboard, and the water is all over the floor.

BennyHarp

Quote from: Zulu on April 22, 2015, 02:24:47 PM
Quote from: Keyser soze on April 22, 2015, 02:12:42 PM

Oh dear, you've stumbled into a big boys discussion and are struggling to follow. I picked two exaggerated score lines to illustrate the point that underage coaches and managers should be coaching in a positive, go out a win mentality using the skills of the game rather than one focused on systems and tactics that make you 'difficult to break down'. If your underage system is producing skilled, rounded, intelligent footballers they will quickly be able to play any system that coaches require when they are older. More importantly they'll be able to think their way through opponents tactics and have the skill set to execute.

By the way, if my U14 or U12 teams conceded 6-19 and scored 6-20 I'd be perfectly happy, winning is the name of the game according to some so why should you be happy to win a game 0-6 to 0-5 but unhappy to win one 6-19 to 6-20?

I agree with alot of what you, AZ and BCB have been saying but with regard to your last sentence, I would imagine from the point of view of a coach where winning is the name of the game, on the balance of probabilities you are more likely to score 0-6 than 6-20 in any given game. So, restricting the scores against becomes a key aim. So although a coach may be happy with the win at 6-19 to 6-20. He will be aware that he is highly likely not to win next time out if conceding that amount. I think there is a balance to be found between good attacking and quality defending - I just don't think our counties or clubs have found that balance.................yet.
That was never a square ball!!

AZOffaly

I'd be delighted to win 6-20 to 0-0.

BennyHarp

Quote from: AZOffaly on April 22, 2015, 02:47:00 PM
I'd be delighted to win 6-20 to 0-0.

That's the balance I would be looking for.
That was never a square ball!!

Zulu

Oh absolutely Benny. Like I said it was more for illustration than actually saying you'd be happy as coach to concede that. However the point I'm making with the sentence you highlighted was that I wouldn't be overly concerned about results with underage and instead I'm trying to develop footballers who will be able to both attack and defend properly as adults. Being able to defend, tackle, block, harry, delay etc. are skills just as important as kicking points but my response to conceding scores, as an underage coach, wouldn't be to go down a blanket defence route it would be to look at why we concede so much - are we able to mark? can we block the ball? are we making bad decisions with the ball and giving it away too easily? In other words, how can I make these guys better footballers. IMO, if you got an U14 team to play a blanket defence you might help them win a county when they mightn't be the best team in the county but are you helping them to become better footballers? For me, every age group up to U16 should be heavily weighted towards improving the player and not achieving the result (doesn't mean you ignore tactics btw), at minor the result matters more but not entirely at the cost of player development. If you are brave enough to follow that path when many club members might accuse you of using naive tactics I think you'll provide hugely capable senior players who will, if they are good enough, win you championships regardless of the tactics they face or are asked to employ.