Football

Change rules
44 (45.4%)
Leave her be
53 (54.6%)

Total Members Voted: 97

redzone

Quote from: CD on March 30, 2015, 09:35:45 PM
Do you all remember this time last year we were discussing the very high scoring national league and the suggestion was that the black card rule was creating more open defences?? Or was it just because there were only two Ulster sides in division one?

I like the zonal idea a la netball. There must be 4 players in the offensive 45 at all times. An easy rule to introduce and monitor and it would stretch the game. I think anything is worth a try because at the moment it's terrible to watch!

yes good idea that

Schkite

Quote from: dublin7 on March 30, 2015, 08:00:32 PM

Dublin's last game is in clones against Monaghan. A lot of people like myself would normally go, but watching last Saturday night was bad enough. Don't need to watch same defensive s**te again and see one team win 7-6 on a bank holiday weekend. Far more interesting things to do like watch paint dry!

Why would you automatically assume all Ulster sides will play the same way? Apart from the game away to Donegal, Monaghan have been involved in some quite good games this league.

BennyHarp

Quote from: redzone on March 30, 2015, 09:50:24 PM
Do you all remember this time last year we were discussing the very high scoring national league and the suggestion was that the black card rule was creating more open defences?? Or was it just because there were only two Ulster sides in division one?

I like the zonal idea a la netball. There must be 4 players in the offensive 45 at all times. An easy rule to introduce and monitor and it would stretch the game. I think anything is worth a try because at the moment it's terrible to watch!

yes good idea that

This idea of keeping 4 players in an attacking zone is pure nonsense. It's not easy to implement or monitor, imagine controlling that in a Div 3 league club match. So during a game a player races out to pick up a ball and has to stop as he reaches the edge of the zone? That's just unworkable.
That was never a square ball!!

Throw ball

Quote from: Schkite on March 30, 2015, 10:03:46 PM

Dublin's last game is in clones against Monaghan. A lot of people like myself would normally go, but watching last Saturday night was bad enough. Don't need to watch same defensive s**te again and see one team win 7-6 on a bank holiday weekend. Far more interesting things to do like watch paint dry!

Why would you automatically assume all Ulster sides will play the same way? Apart from the game away to Donegal, Monaghan have been involved in some quite good games this league.

Cork match would be a good example. Very good game.

yellowcard

Brolly just told Mickey Harte he could go and f**k off live on radio earlier in relation to his duty to provide entertainment. I don't know why the sudden outrage after this weekends games though. Some pundits must have thought this type of negative handball was only a passing fad that would disappear with the retirement of Jimmy McGuinness, however his legacy lives on and who could blame young players for looking at other sports where they are able to express themselves rather than become part of an army camp playing militaristic football where caution and systems are the buzz words.

redzone

Quote from: BennyHarp on March 30, 2015, 10:10:31 PM

yes good idea that

This idea of keeping 4 players in an attacking zone is pure nonsense. It's not easy to implement or monitor, imagine controlling that in a Div 3 league club match. So during a game a player races out to pick up a ball and has to stop as he reaches the edge of the zone? That's just unworkable.

Come on beny u will have to think a bit harder than that son. think a bit about it and don't just jump the gun.

BennyHarp

Quote from: redzone on March 30, 2015, 10:27:25 PM

yes good idea that

Come on beny u will have to think a bit harder than that son. think a bit about it and don't just jump the gun.

So what are you saying? We would keep 4 players inside the 45? It's not netball you know, we can move with the ball. If a man wins a ball and runs out of his zone - what happens? You need to think about it harder! Bollocksy rules that restrict the flow of a game are not the way forward.

dublin7

Last year against dublin it was the same ultra defensive tactic. 13/14 men behind the ball. Any dublin kick out Monaghan dropped almost every player back behind their 45m line. On this message board the only ones who seem to enjoy watching this era of blanket defences seem to be from Ulster. I can't think of anything more depressing going to games knowing it's going to be dour battle between 2 teams playing 13-2 formation looking for a victory by 5-4 or something equivalently boring. No enjoyment in that & must be depressing as hell as a forward to be train and work your guts out to make a county panel/team only to be told to play as defender and be expected to spend more time in your own half than the oppositions

BennyHarp

Quote from: yellowcard on March 30, 2015, 10:20:30 PM

Brolly just told Mickey Harte he could go and f**k off live on radio earlier in relation to his duty to provide entertainment. I don't know why the sudden outrage after this weekends games though. Some pundits must have thought this type of negative handball was only a passing fad that would disappear with the retirement of Jimmy McGuinness, however his legacy lives on and who could blame young players for looking at other sports where they are able to express themselves rather than become part of an army camp playing militaristic football where caution and systems are the buzz words.

Joe spent a fair bit of the last 4 years hanging out of Jim McGuinness' hole so it's interestng that he has such strong views on entertaining football. I'd challenge Joe to put his money where his mouth is and take Derry next year and play the entertaining football that he thinks is the duty. Or at least, explain, in detail, how he'd go about it during his analysis on the Sunday Game. I'd imagine he'd soon find out that it's not quite as simple as trotting out sound bites on radio shows and maybe he will have a little bit more respect for the likes of Mickey Harte.

lenny

yes good idea that

Good idea but impossible to police except at the highest level. Any rule changes need to be effective at all levels.

yellowcard

Quote from: dublin7 on March 30, 2015, 10:34:13 PM

Last year against dublin it was the same ultra defensive tactic. 13/14 men behind the ball. Any dublin kick out Monaghan dropped almost every player back behind their 45m line. On this message board the only ones who seem to enjoy watching this era of blanket defences seem to be from Ulster. I can't think of anything more depressing going to games knowing it's going to be dour battle between 2 teams playing 13-2 formation looking for a victory by 5-4 or something equivalently boring. No enjoyment in that & must be depressing as hell as a forward to be train and work your guts out to make a county panel/team only to be told to play as defender and be expected to spend more time in your own half than the oppositions

Stereotyping by saying the only people who enjoy this football are from Ulster is ridiculous. IM from Ulster and detest this type of football. Kerry won an All Ireland playing turgid stuff last year and whilst Im sure the end justified the means I'd say there are a few proud Kerry men who were disgusted at the way they done so. Then there are those in denial who try and claim the footballing moral high ground and claim that their great footballing county would never resort to such football. The Dubs have short memories, have they forgotten Gilroys system in 2011 and some of Gavin's tactics during the League. It makes me laugh hearing some supporters claiming that their own counties are the Brazilians of Gaelic football. Just recognise that the virus has spread and is in bad need of some drugs to fix the ailment.

I'm amazed that the result of the poll is 50/50. So almost 50% of people on here are happy with the spectacle, that's not the impression I get on the ground.

yellowcard

Quote from: BennyHarp on March 30, 2015, 10:44:18 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on March 30, 2015, 10:20:30 PM

Joe spent a fair bit of the last 4 years hanging out of Jim McGuinness' hole so it's interestng that he has such strong views on entertaining football. I'd challenge Joe to put his money where his mouth is and take Derry next year and play the entertaining football that he thinks is the duty. Or at least, explain, in detail, how he'd go about it during his analysis on the Sunday Game. I'd imagine he'd soon find out that it's not quite as simple as trotting out sound bites on radio shows and maybe he will have a little bit more respect for the likes of Mickey Harte.

I agree, I thought he was out of order but knowing Brolly he probably thought he was being funny. I don't know why he thinks managers should be held accountable though, the bottom line is that their number 1 priority is in getting results. His anger should be directed towards those at the top of the game and the rule makers.

INDIANA

Quote from: lenny on March 30, 2015, 10:46:59 PM

yes good idea that

Good idea but impossible to police except at the highest level. Any rule changes need to be effective at all levels.

You just hammer systematic fouling until teams don't do it any-more. If we end up with 12v 11- all the better.

its the only way to eradicate the problem. certain offences get a black card where players can't be replaced and a penalty awarded to the opposition.

Mike Sheehy

Quote from: INDIANA on March 30, 2015, 11:05:30 PM
Quote from: lenny on March 30, 2015, 10:46:59 PM

yes good idea that

You just hammer systematic fouling until teams don't do it any-more. If we end up with 12v 11- all the better.

its the only way to eradicate the problem. certain offences get a black card where players can't be replaced and a penalty awarded to the opposition.

If only they had that rule in '95 eh....?

roney

brolly has said he won't go to another Derry match. He also told Mickey Harte to fck off. Some nights work.