2015 UK general election

Started by Eamonnca1, March 26, 2015, 09:12:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

T Fearon

Does it matter who wins? It will still be austerity,government in interests of corporate sector etc.The fact that there is basically no difference between any of the parties means coalition government (as is the case in the 26 counties) is here to stay.

Kidder81

Quote from: T Fearon on March 29, 2015, 08:43:22 AM
Does it matter who wins? It will still be austerity,government in interests of corporate sector etc.The fact that there is basically no difference between any of the parties means coalition government (as is the case in the 26 counties) is here to stay.

I woul say SF are praying the Tories get in so they can continue to blame everything on "savage Tory cuts", doesent have the same ring to it when Labour are doing exactly the same.

ziggysego

Quote from: bennydorano on March 29, 2015, 08:26:34 AM
Maybe it shows the type of geek i am, but thought Channel 4's 'Coalition' drama last night was first class, well worth watching (if you've an interest!)

I watched it too. Excellent bit of drama. Just wonder how much was poetic licence.
Testing Accessibility

LCohen

I see Robbo is saying that the DUP could deal with (i.e. prop up) either Labour or the Tories. About time Labour and the Tories publically stated that they will not do a deal with an NI party that will (some will say further) compromises their custodian role in the devolved NI.

As for the debate I thought yer woman from Sky was less than professional in her dealings with Ed Milliband. On the European question he gave a perfectly sensible and reasoned answer ane even set out in the context. She described it as a "politician's answer". I thought Miliband was the better performer in front of the audience. He was clearly rattled by the abrasive style of Paxman and took 10 mins to recover. He finished strongly but 10 mins to recover in an 18 min interview is probably 2 late.

Cameron was poor in front of the audience and impressed with Paxman but only in the sense that he was impressively slippery and evasive.

bennydorano

4pt bounce for Labour post debate according to the Sunday Times Yougov poll, 36% Lab, 32% Con. Milliband's performance surprising many polled.

This could be a great opportunity  for SF to abandon their abstenionist policies - assuming a narrow Labour victory. Surely has to be being discussed or at least considered? If they can sit in Stormont they can sit in Westminster. The DUP are 100% correct in their approach to this election, in that they see themselves as potential  Kingmakers who can negotiate a better funding package for NI, I genuinely think NI parties could make hay this election.

Maguire01

I can't see Labour going anywhere near SF (in terms of looking for their support), but SF taking their seats would push up the number of seats required for a majority.

LCohen

Quote from: Maguire01 on March 29, 2015, 03:42:39 PM
I can't see Labour going anywhere near SF (in terms of looking for their support), but SF taking their seats would push up the number of seats required for a majority.

Agree x2

SF are surely toxic in terms of Westminster deals

muppet

MWWSI 2017

Maguire01

Quote from: LCohen on March 29, 2015, 03:55:46 PM
Quote from: Maguire01 on March 29, 2015, 03:42:39 PM

Agree x2

SF are surely toxic in terms of Westminster deals
Yep, Labour would be destroyed by the UK media.

foxcommander

If SF were smart about it they would revise their abstention from Westminister and use their seats to their advantage.
Imagine Pat Doherty or Gerry Kelly propping up the government - LOL!
Every second of the day there's a Democrat telling a lie

Aristo 60

We'd nearly be 'a nation once again'

seafoid

Quote from: foxcommander on March 30, 2015, 04:59:23 PM
If SF were smart about it they would revise their abstention from Westminister and use their seats to their advantage.
Imagine Pat Doherty or Gerry Kelly propping up the government - LOL!
That abstention policy makes no sense given they power share in NI.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Rossfan

In a body with around 650 seats does anyone notice who is sitting there or not.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

seafoid

Big headline in the daily telegraph today warning that a Labour win would threaten the economic recovery. There is none. Wages are not rising sufficiently.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU