King Henry - The Final Countdown

Started by AZOffaly, March 24, 2015, 04:43:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnneycool

Quote from: AZOffaly on March 25, 2015, 07:42:52 AM
He had, but in fairness Shefflin didn't need someone to get the ball to him either. He was well able to do his own heavy lifting.

There were probably at some points in time hurlers better at certain aspects of the game, but for all round ability Henry had it all and was the leader in a lot of those 10 AI's he's got during his career. Can't see him happy with another bit part year with Kilkenny just in the off chance he'd pick up a further AI.

The best in my lifetime by a long shot.

Kilkenny may still be in and around the top, but the invincibility will be gone along with Henry. No better compliment could be paid to the man.

Sidney

Henry Shefflin Press Conference Odds:

1/10 Announces retirement
5/1 Announces he's playing on
10/1 Announces he is to enter politics
12/1 Announces he knows what really happened with Davy Fitz and the Clare panel
16/1 Announces the launch of a new video game "Henry Shefflin Hurling" for the X Box
25/1 Announces he is separating from his wife
50/1 Announces the launch of a new band with DJ Carey - "DJ and the Dancer"
66/1 Announces he is replacing Jeremy Clarkson as Top Gear presenter
100/1 Announces he knows the reason for the German Wings plane crash
200/1 Announces he killed Elaine O'Hara
500/1 Announces he is to become a woman and is to be henceforth known as Henrietta Shefflin
1,000/1 Announces he has found the missing Malaysian Airlines plane while swimming in the sea

deiseach

I say this with the greatest affection for a legend of the game and a gentleman: good riddance.

muppet

Quote from: Sidney on March 25, 2015, 11:49:51 AM

16/1 Announces the launch of a new video game "Henry Shefflin Hurling" for the X Box
500/1 Announces he is to become a woman and is to be henceforth known as Henrietta Shefflin
1,000/1 Announces he has found the missing Malaysian Airlines plane while swimming in the sea

4/1 He comes out as Canice Picklington
MWWSI 2017

AZOffaly

Quote from: deiseach on March 25, 2015, 12:46:30 PM
I say this with the greatest affection for a legend of the game and a gentleman: good riddance.

I know exactly what you mean...

Sidney

Quote from: muppet on March 25, 2015, 12:51:04 PM

They're very similar but very different in very important ways.

AZOffaly

'Tis official. Short price favourite wins. Picklington now odds on to eclipse King Henry's tally.

Henry Shefflin Statement
It is with a deep sense of gratitude and personal contentment that I am announcing today that I am bringing to an end my inter-county playing career with the Kilkenny Senior Hurling Team.
When I reflect back over the past 16 years playing the game that I love, at the highest level with Kilkenny, it is impossible to quantify the endless hours of happiness, satisfaction and fulfilment I have enjoyed. The various challenges I experienced along the way became opportunities for me to develop as a person both on and off the field of play.
I will always be eternally grateful to the numerous people who have encouraged and supported me in my pursuit of my sporting dreams.
To my wife Deirdre, my parents, brothers and sisters I owe a huge debt of gratitude. Only they really know the many sacrifices they have made on my behalf.
My club mentors in Ballyhale Shamrocks and my former teachers instilled in me not only a love of hurling but also the importance of developing the skills of the game.
Brian Cody has been part of my senior inter-county career from the beginning and I benefitted greatly from his guidance and support. I thank him and his management teams for the huge role they have played in the success I have enjoyed.
I am grateful to Ned Quinn and the Kilkenny County Board for their leadership and especially for all they have done for me over the years.
I wish to thank the GPA for all they do on behalf of myself and inter-county players.
Sincere thanks also to my employer Bank of Ireland for facilitating me in every way possible during my career.
The support I have received from Kilkenny supporters and from the GAA family all over Ireland in good times and in challenging times has been a humbling experience and made me realise how lucky and privileged I am.
Hurling is and always will be part of who I am. I now look forward to continue to play with my club Ballyhale Shamrocks and supporting Kilkenny Hurling teams for many years to come.

Captain Obvious

One of a kind. A happy retirement King Henry

AZOffaly

This, gentlemen and ladies, is the picture that spells 'Hope'. In the last few months, Kilkenny have lost this trio. 28 All Irelands and 27 All Stars between them. They were the face of *that* Kilkenny team. End of an era.

macdanger2

Class player and a real role model

seafoid

Quote from: muppet on March 25, 2015, 12:51:04 PM

10000/1 He calls Cody a bollocks in front of everyone 

johnneycool

Tipp twitter feed sums him up succinctly;

Best wishes in retirement to Henry Shefflin who did the simple things spectacularly well & made the spectacular look simple

Couldn't have put it better myself.

Sidney

Quote from: AZOffaly on March 25, 2015, 01:39:26 PM
This, gentlemen and ladies, is the picture that spells 'Hope'. In the last few months, Kilkenny have lost this trio. 28 All Irelands and 27 All Stars between them. They were the face of *that* Kilkenny team. End of an era.

Henry obviously forgot to take the cardboard sheet out the shirt when he unwrapped it.

foxcommander

Now he can concentrate on his music career with Queens of the Stone Age

Every second of the day there's a Democrat telling a lie

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: AZOffaly on March 25, 2015, 01:39:26 PM

Bit cheeky of JJ to wear his crown
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...