GAA USA on TG4.

Started by Denn Forever, March 22, 2015, 11:00:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Denn Forever

Has any body watched this? 

Very interesting (with Dara O'Cinnéide again  showing why he should take over from Michael Lester/Des Cahill) with GAA matches being reported on in the Papers at  the start of the 19th Century.  Would be interested in knowing if any of the Posters in the US have seen it.

http://www.tg4.ie/en/programmes/gaa-usa.html
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

5 Sams

Excellent programme...Dara is a great presenter. Looking forward to the rest of the series. TG4 consistently produce top class documentaries on a range of subjects.
The Aristocrat Years

ApresMatch

BennyCake

Great show indeed. Nobody makes great documentaries quite like TG4.

5 Sams

Quote from: BennyCake on March 22, 2015, 08:27:17 PM

+1 Fearaibh Fiontrá agus Bibeanna.
The Aristocrat Years

BennyCake

Quote from: 5 Sams on March 22, 2015, 08:42:31 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on March 22, 2015, 08:27:17 PM

+1 Fearaibh Fiontrá agus Bibeanna.

Er, yeah... what he said ;)

Oraisteach

Thanks a lot, Denn. Very enjoyable documentary.

Eamonnca1

It's very good. And apparently the next episodes are supposed to be even better.

Eamonnca1

Oraisteach

Good man, Eamonn.  Excellent show once again.  Fascinating clips of negative newsreel coverage of hurling, reinforcing stereotypes.  Also, as you note, collegiate hurling features well, but given your own part in furthering the collegiate game, why weren't you yourself in the documentary?

OakleafCounty

I've watched the first two episodes. Brilliant show! A bit depressing as well seeing that the great old Irish neighbourhoods/communities of New York have almost completely dissapeared.

naka

Great show
Have friends in the states and gaa seems to be the link to keeping the kids aware of the heritage.
Love the college angle especially when the interviewee states that they make sure a final year student is aware of the clubs in their home city

twohands!!!

Wonder if there is any chance RTE might show this on one of the main channels. Something this good deserves to be shown where it has some sort of  shout of getting a decent audience.

lenny

Quote from: twohands!!! on March 26, 2015, 05:49:51 PM
Wonder if there is any chance RTE might show this on one of the main channels. Something this good deserves to be shown where it has some sort of  shout of getting a decent audience.

Really enjoyed it. Bit sad though that the interest tends to die out by the 3rd generation with the competition of american sports.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: Oraisteach on March 26, 2015, 03:55:27 AM
Good man, Eamonn.  Excellent show once again.  Fascinating clips of negative newsreel coverage of hurling, reinforcing stereotypes.  Also, as you note, collegiate hurling features well, but given your own part in furthering the collegiate game, why weren't you yourself in the documentary?

I was in Ireland when they were in town for that. I think I show up in the final episode. They interviewed me when I was in Boston for the NACB finals.