Donegal v Tyrone Sun 29 March

Started by tyroneman, March 15, 2015, 07:27:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rrhf

Quote from: Redhand Santa on March 28, 2015, 08:51:30 AM
Anybody with any sense can see why he has played Morgan every game and given him the frees the last few years. He is a good keeper and composed on the ball although confidence seems a bit shaken recently. Pre Morgan coming on the scene we were already struggling with any kind of long range frees and conversion was poor. Harte new this needed addressed.

Morgan is undoutbly the best striker of a dead ball from the ground in the Tyrone team and is capable of hitting frees from up to 60 yards out. He proved against Dublin in the league final just how could good he can be with them even in a big game. Quite often is free conversion in the past 2 years was only around 50% but I suspect Harte's opinion was that if he stuck with him he'd grow into a top free taker as he was new to the role and young. This season for some reason he has gone backwards a little and confidence is low. I'm sure it is a little more difficult on bad pitches at this time of year (croke park aside) and big winds  to judge so I for one wouldn't be totally giving up on the experiment yet.

I don't want to be too harsh but I do wonder if some of this talk trying to undermine him is coming from a Clonoe direction intent on seeing Mickey O'Neill on the team. In previous years a lot of harsh comments were made at other players like Peter Harte were they felt their club players were better. Players like Morgan deserve a chance to develop - he is a top talent and I believe still has the ability to go on and become a top keeper and free taker over the next few years. A decision may have to be made as the season goes on to move him of frees but I'd still give him some tomorrow to see if we can get him back on form.

We have struggled for scores this season but its not totally unexpected given we've been in the middle of trying to implement a new defensive system. I've been impressed at how quickly we changed the game plan from Monaghan and now seem to have got a settled team which has led us to a draw and win against 2 of the top 4 teams in Ireland. We only lost by a point last day out to the best team in the league and that did seem to be as a result of running out of steam.

Harte now needs to get a bit more focus on the forward play, free taking and contesting kick outs where we have to kick it out or against other teams kickouts. If we can improve these areas and everyone stays fit we'll give most teams a game. Would be great to see Mattie D hitting a bit of form as he could really transfer this team into a top team if started taking scores. With him, Cavanagh, McCurry, Harte, McAliskey etc we have plenty of players capable of getting scores.
to be honest I think a lot of Tyrone fans have already written off this year as a development year.  I'd love your faith. 

Redhand Santa

There's no doubt we are behind the top teams and an All Ireland appears very unlikely. But an Ulster championship has to be the first aim for this group of players. I have to say that is a huge task this year as well given the way the draw has fallen. We're undergogs heading to Donegal for the first game and to me it really will shape the season. A win there and an ulster title suddenly becomes a genuine possibility. Defeat and we'll probably get through the some of the qualifiers but struggle to get past an All Ireland quarter final.

I feel an Ulster title is a must for Tyrone at the minute. 5 years is a long enough time to wait when you consider our record over  the past 30 years. 84 - 86 -89 - - 95 - 96 - 2001 - 2003 - 2007 - 2009 - 2010. The only time we waited longer than 5 years was 89 to 95 gap. I feel our biggest issue could be a lack of depth on the squad - we are very reliant on keeping the core players fit - if we don't we're in big trouble.

ONeill

I had written the year off until the new system went full metal jacket. We could bore our way to silverware like Donegal almost did in 2011.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

rrhf

Agreed..rhs for Tyrone this year an  ulster title would be worth more than an ai semi place.  When you look at what O'Neill says are we really that far behind done gal. Tomorrow will be very interesting going.

ONeill

I see Donegal minors hammered ours.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

T Fearon

This is likely to be the most brutal (to watch) Gaelic Football game of all time.I forecast Donegal to win by 3 points to 2

rrhf

Id say Any man who takes such joy from a spurs man scoring for the english would be hard to please alright...

Over the Bar

You have to accept Tony's view.  After all he knows all about muck football watching the Div 3 dung that Armagh have served up over the years.

Dire Ear

Is this telivised or on any radio stations ?  Thanks

omagh_gael

No TV coverage, will be radio on teamtalkmag.com and highland radiI.

Dire Ear

StephenC

In order to help those Tyronies listening to Highland enjoy their afternoon .... be aware that Highland is a Donegal station and will naturally see things through Green and Gold tinted glasses. Please save us the moaning about this and remember you can always choose to change channels.  ;)

omagh_gael

In that case listen to teamtalk, they are a bastion of objectiveness ;-)

StephenC

J70

Donegal 0-5 Tyrone 0-3 after 18

Donegal turning over a lot of ball going into the tackle. One way traffic the last five minutes until a McElhinney point.