Kerry v Donegal

Started by twohands!!!, March 12, 2015, 08:46:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J70

Quote from: StephenC on March 13, 2015, 02:23:49 PM
Quote from: J70 on March 13, 2015, 12:38:24 PM
McFadden is in his 14th season with the county senior team. How many lads play at the top level after all that time? I am honestly shocked that he is back for another go around. He will have a hard time winning a starting place though, unless McBrearty, Murphy or O'Reilly get injured.

What is most surprising about him has been the speed with which his performance has dropped off, but part of that is that he hit such an amazing level in 2011-2012, when almost everything he hit was dropping over the bar. Some of the long distance points he was hitting in those two seasons were just incredible. He was doing on a weekly basis what the Dublin team did to Donegal in the first half of last year's semi final. Why his accuracy has dropped off (from frees too), maybe he doesn't even know, but it can be precisely traced to the 2013 Ulster final when his off-day was a large reason we lost, even if it was probably indicative of and a result of the intensity Monaghan brought all over the field. In the game before that, against Down, he almost single-handedly won it for us with his accuracy and opportunism on a day when we played pretty poorly.

I think the reality is that Colm's 2012 level was an outlier rather than a baseline. His form before and after that has been more reflective of his overall career. Still though, it wasn't as if he had just one good game in 2012 or anything. He was on fire that year and should really have won POTY (Lacey got it as he should have received it the previous year IMO). As you say, some of the points he scored that year were truly spectacular. His opener (and Donegal's) against Kerry in the QF set the tone for that game.

He always had the ability, but not the consistency, which is something he found under McGuinness in the first two seasons. Unfortunately, before that, sporadic games such as the one against Tyrone in 2004 and various league games were the only glimpses we saw of his talent. Maybe suffered a bit like Devenney did in the defensive and physical lockdown under which Ulster Championship games have been played over the past decade or so. I remember the 2007 disaster against Tyrone, where he showed every extreme, scoring a fantastic Murphy-esque goal which was ludicrously disallowed (for a penalty, which he missed!), before losing the rag late on through frustration and all the mouthing off, then slapping Dooher (I think) and getting the line. I don't think he was ever as poor though as he has been over the past 18 months, however. Combination of age and loss of confidence I guess.

Wildweasel74

Its called age, i seen P Bradley and J brolly and even A.Tohill go from unstoppable and scoring machines 1 season to totally falling away the next as the legs go, Derry probably could have got another 4yrs out of Tohill at Full forward but at 32 he hadn't the leg speed for midfield. the only man i have ever seen kept his speed with age was mickey Linden, was still a flying Machine at 38, unreal!!

eddie d

Donegal's childish tactics are clearly not putting Sheehan off

Zulu

tyroneboi

Bryan Sheehan putting on a free taking exhibition here.

twohands!!!

Ref seems to be giving a lot of benefit of the doubt to Donegal

CD

Quote from: twohands!!! on March 15, 2015, 02:33:54 PM
He did there! Murphy very lucky. Another ref would be producing a red for that and deservedly so. He had a look and led with the elbow. Dirty action!
Who's a bit of a moaning Michael tonight!

dublin7

Some cynical and head high hits on Kerry players. Ref is also giving Donegal some soft frees.Michael  Murphy should be gone. Jumped in into Kerry player with an elbow straight to his head. Cowardly & dangerous cheap shot. Gets away with muder because of his reputation.

Ref should work for Coca Cola, biggest bottler in the country, afraid to send him off.

twohands!!!

Wondering if the ref left his black and red cards in the dressing room - Donegal should have 1 red and 2 blacks in my opinion plus they got a couple of soft frees.

straightred

Quote from: dublin7 on March 15, 2015, 02:39:14 PM

Some cynical and head high hits on Kerry players. Ref is also giving Donegal some soft frees.Michael  Murphy should be gone. Jumped in into Kerry player with an elbow straight to his head. Cowardly & dangerous cheap shot. Gets away with muder because of his reputation.

Ref should work for Coca Cola, biggest bottler in the country, afraid to send him off.

Murphy should be off most weeks but because he doesn't get punished he continues the carry on and so it continues

J70

Quote from: straightred on March 15, 2015, 02:48:57 PM
Quote from: dublin7 on March 15, 2015, 02:39:14 PM

Murphy should be off most weeks but because he doesn't get punished he continues the carry on and so it continues

Right, he's only got one red and one black in the four games so far.

elgoocho

Great rob by Geaney for the goal

J70

Kerry are wiping us out on the kickout.

J70

Kerry have been the better team, but we could easily be at least level here. Some shocking misses.