Croagh Patrick climb this time of year

Started by Oraisteach, March 09, 2015, 06:49:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

annapr

Are Gay people allowed to climb a mountain named after a Saint?

whitey

Quote from: BennyCake on May 04, 2015, 06:19:41 PM
Can it be done in trainers in good weather? If not, how much would a pair of hiking/walking boots cost?

I have seen female members of the travelling community climbing in white, high heeled shoes!!

Hiking boots are preferrable, but you should be fine with sneakers if its dry.

Id say about hald the people I have seen climbing were wearing sneakers

macdanger2

Yeah, you'll be grand in runners. Better in hiking shoes but take care and you should be ok

BennyCake

Right, going to give this a go next week, weather permitting.

Any tips?

sans pessimism

Quote from: BennyCake on August 04, 2015, 08:32:44 PM
Right, going to give this a go next week, weather permitting.

Any tips?
hiking boots a must Benny-trainers in this weather n ur asking for trouble.Have a good day...and enjoy the chowder in the Towers on the way home
"So Boys stick together
in all kinds of weather"

ziggysego

Any chance of getting an electric wheelchair up it?
Testing Accessibility

maigheo

A walking stick is essential especially coming down.They cost about 1.50 and can be got at the concession stand in the car park

muppet

Quote from: whitey on May 04, 2015, 06:28:38 PM
Can it be done in trainers in good weather? If not, how much would a pair of hiking/walking boots cost?

I have seen female members of the travelling community climbing in white, high heeled shoes!!

Don't confuse your stairs with Croagh Patrick.  :D
MWWSI 2017

armaghniac

Quote from: ziggysego on August 04, 2015, 10:41:09 PM
Any chance of getting an electric wheelchair up it?

Do you have the hover model?
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Mayo4Sam

I've never had any bother in runners. As for the stick I'd be unconvinced.
Just bring a warm jacket with you. You'll be roasting going up but it's very cold at the top and without something warm you won't wait around too long to enjoy the view. Bring a flask and a few sambos, always nice.
It's climbable any day of the year, I've gone up in December with snow on the ground at the bottom, there's a nice track all the way up, you just need to mind yourself coming down the cone
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

Rudi

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on August 05, 2015, 02:36:00 PM
I've never had any bother in runners. As for the stick I'd be unconvinced.
Just bring a warm jacket with you. You'll be roasting going up but it's very cold at the top and without something warm you won't wait around too long to enjoy the view. Bring a flask and a few sambos, always nice.
It's climbable any day of the year, I've gone up in December with snow on the ground at the bottom, there's a nice track all the way up, you just need to mind yourself coming down the cone

Agree with this post
Have climbed it about 25 times, always wearing runners. Spending money on hiking boots for a one off climb is utter madness. Going down can be difficult, have seen loads of people with bad injuries, including open wounds to the head. Beware of climbing on a windy or day with poor visibility. Wrap up well, it can be cold up top with extra wind chill. The day at the foot of the mountain and up top can be two different things. The last 350 yards are difficult, fair incline with moving stones underneath.

Ballaghman

Agree with the above two posts. Wouldn't climb it if windy, other than that it should be grand. As someone already said its a bit of a let down to get to the top and not have view of clew bay but sure not much can be done about that. I've climbed it a few times and worn runners, never bothered with a stick. Then again I an impeccable athlete! *cough*.
The muscles will be sore enough the next day but not too bad. The flashk of tae and a few sandwiches is a good shout, can be cold enough there especially with the summer we're having.

whitey

Quote from: muppet on August 04, 2015, 11:13:18 PM
Quote from: whitey on May 04, 2015, 06:28:38 PM

Don't confuse your stairs with Croagh Patrick.  :D

And drinking warm cans of Tennants too for good measure if I recall correctly

Jim_Murphy_74

Unless you have a particular reason to chose Croagh Patrick (religion, tradition etc..) I would head over to Mweelrea and climb that.

the reek is a disaster at this stage.

/Jim.

Mayo4Sam

Mwellrea is tough to get to the top if u don't have someone with you who has been there before
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me