Laois minor hurlers 2015

Started by Tobias, March 09, 2015, 03:49:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Unlaoised

Feel sorry for the team and for Pat they didn't hurl like they can on the day .

Glad he is staying involved a great Laois GAA man

And at the moment in both codes we need men like Pat to stay involved
LAOIS ABÚ

Tobias

I'd agree with a lot of what was said in the previous posts, firstly Pat Critchley owes nothing to Laois hurling, he and cheddar are the sole reason for the renewed optimism in Laois hurling over the past two years. At this stage, I think the best thing for the progression of Laois hurling is that Pat moves back down to setanta and development squad level.
At the moment we are not good enough to contest finals at the highest level as was obvious this yr with our minors, under 21s and seniors. I believe that we need to really drive the setanta and chucullan programmes along with the development squads over the next few years. This thing is going to take time but if we stay working at it we will get there. The reason I'm happy to hear Critchley is movin back to help out underage is because while everyone raves about our underage structures I think there is a lot of scope to improvement. The profile of hurling in Laois has lifted by seismic proportions compared to 3 or 4 years ago without our hurlers really creating big headlines (i.e beating know, tipp or cork). The friends of laois hurling group has been a great success along with other initiatives and it puts hurling in the minds of Laois people.
As regards this years minor team, I was very disappointed with the result on Sunday, I honestly believe that team were capable of so much more and as can happen with minors it just wasn't their day, I've no doubt some of them will become top hurlers for laois in the future.
To my mind, there are a lot of these guys underage next year and hopefully we'll have our day against kk... Joe Geaney, David Connolly, Cillian McEvoy, Eric Kileen, Lee Cleere, Stephen Dunphy, Stephen Phelan, Aaron Bergin, Aaron Dunphy, Robbie Phelan...that's ten guys so surely we will be able to add a few more of good quality.

finbar o tool

cant see Pat stepping down just yet. there is a possibility that this is being said too often now, but, i do think next year could be the year and Pat knows it. i think 10 of that team are underage next year as mentioned above. after all his time and effort, he should stick with them for 1 more year. 
An amateur requires a personal commitment that money cannot buy

redsetanta

Looks like there was a cracking game of hurling in the minor championship quarter final between C/B and B/K with C/B winning by 1 point after extra time on a scoreline of 4-26 to 6-19.
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

merman

Apparently this was CB's first minor win of any description in 4 years.
This will be the first time in 8 years that BK will not contest a minor final.

Portlaoise also beat The Harps Gaels (3.16-2.15) and Castletown/SB turned over the
League champions Abbeyleix (2.15-0.17).

Can't understand why this grade is ran off as a straight knockout. There really should be a back-door like the other championships.

It's more of these type of games we need not less.

burdizzo

Yes, but - this old chestnut again - would back doors produce 'more of these type of games'?
Mind you, the minor B has had group stages, and there's plenty of valid arguments why young lads should have more meaningful games, too.

SCFC

Quote from: burdizzo on August 11, 2015, 09:39:31 PM
Yes, but - this old chestnut again - would back doors produce 'more of these type of games'?
Mind you, the minor B has had group stages, and there's plenty of valid arguments why young lads should have more meaningful games, too.
Particularly from next year when under 17's can't play in the adult grades.

finbar o tool

Particularly from next year when under 17's can't play in the adult grades.
[/quote]

im hearing there will be a vote this year whether to do away with the minor grade next year and have U17 instead, its to do with the above mentioned rule coming in next year. they will also be voting to move U16 to U15 and U14 to U13.
maybe thats a load of shite, dont know, its just what i heard.
dont know if id be in favour of it though...
thoughts??

Keyser Söze

1) This new rule change was ridiculous and a step too far. To stop U17s playing adult was unnecessary in my opinion.

2) However, now that it is done, the only option is to scrap U18 and make it U17. As it stands those who are over 16 and u17 in Laois in 2016 will play 3/4 minor league games and possibly 1 minor championship game. Playing a more extensive league is going to be very difficult as it would need to work around the U16 leagues, all of the clubs adult teams (remember there will those over 17 and under 18 involved too), schools games and the county minors.
It will be a disaster.
The only option is to scrap minor and make it U17. Therefore games could be fixed without the worry of cross over between a club's adult teams.
I have no problem with the supposed intention to "mind" players of a younger age. But this particular initiative will totally stunt the development of your average 17 year old hurler who is not on the county minor panel. He will get minimum training, a handful of games, and will be given minimal chance to improve at what is such a vital age grade.
It might sound dramatic but this is a crisis about to unfold and I feel extremely sorry for those about to graduate from U16 level.
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......

finbar o tool

Actually i never even thought of the county set up!
Hows that going to work?! Is this new U17 rule just in Laois or across the board?
Another thing i thought of is, going from U17 to U21 level is also going to be a bit of a jump for some. Big difference in those age groups.

Keyser Söze

Its across the board.

I'd imagine that it's totally unrealistic to think that the age old tradition of minor championships being U18 is going to be changed in the next 3/4 months.

Keyser Söze

Final is this Saturday between Portlaoise and Castletown/Slieve Bloom. Who would be expected to prevail?

Isn't this the "all conquering" Portlaoise team for 4/5 years ago or am I a year out?

merman

Portlaoise will probably just start as favourites and have a nice balanced team. They have a nice bit of size down the spine of their team and some lightening speed in their forwards and midfield.

I was a little surprised that C/SB lost to Na Fianna in the U16 last week as I know they would have a sprinkling of very talented but very young hurlers on this minor team.

Hopefully we'll have a good final; a fitting conclusion to what seems to have been a good championship.

redsetanta

Wasn't at the game but I see it ended in a draw.

Anyone have a report on the match?
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

Keyser Söze

Fantastic gutsy display by Castletown/Slieve Bloom v Portlaoise yesterday in an exciting game of a decent standard.

That was a pretty all conquering 'town' team up along the grades but I suppose size and physical strength is a less significant factor as you get older.
Some of CSB's younger lads have fantastic talent.