Maigh Eo v Dubh Linn, Pairc Mhic Eil, 14ú Marta @ 1900

Started by macdanger2, March 09, 2015, 11:43:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sans pessimism

Quote from: Shrewdness on March 21, 2015, 07:32:47 AM
Mayoman Dan, on our last visit to Croke Park less than 12 months ago, we beat Cavan in a thrilling Div 3 final, and brought home a cupeen. It's not often you see Mayo bringing home a cup from Croke Park.
didn't catch that game.....must 'av been pay per view
"So Boys stick together
in all kinds of weather"

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Farrandeelin

The whole f**king lot of ye would need to cop on and stop insulting each other. It's pathetic at this stage.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

larryin89

Oh my Dear Rossie neighbours you are a noisy bunch but the one thing I admire about ye is Ye have the neck of a jockeys bolloix .14 years baten after baten but ye still scream in our faces about your great team. At least your support wagon will be back this year , over the last ten years I never seen such poor turnouts from the Rossie .

Will ye be brave enough to play us in Castlebar if we beat galway or will ye opt for Salthill ?
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

larryin89

Quote from: Farrandeelin on March 21, 2015, 09:44:59 AM
The whole f**king lot of ye would need to cop on and stop insulting each other. It's pathetic at this stage.

Ahh will YA shtop , Tis a bit of banter . If it's an indicator for the summer ahead it makes for an electrifying atmosphere for the connacht championship for a change . I long for them days to be back , packed out grounds, Jimmy burkes goal, broken crossbars, Derek duggans point etc etc. I still think we will have the edge but maybe that's in hope rather than rational thoughts.

macdanger2

Just watched the match back this morning. Desperate stuff, the dubs had way more intensity and worked much harder all over the pitch.

AOS was our best player by a mile, Keith decent also although he barely moved when Kevin mc waltzed by him for the 2nd goal, Keegan tried hard in the first half, anonymous in the 2nd, Boyle the opposite. Thought kirby and dillon did ok when they came on. DO'C and Durcan can be forgiven as they haven't faced anything like that before; Cunniffe also as he was coming back from injury.

Vaughan and freeman were very poor for us, barely noticed Vaughan on the ball once.

Management very slow to make changes - 10 down at ht and no sub until 45 minutes. That's either cos they're clueless or because they knew the team wouldn't be firing on all cylinders (due to training) although if that were the case, they should have played much more defensively.

Kick passing and hand passing generally very poor.

When we did break out, there seemed to be no support from behind or players making runs in front and the player on the ball had to turn back into trouble.

If we're playing a big man at ff, we need to learn how to play in decent ball, only when dillon came on was there a good ball played in

On the upside, they have plenty to work on......

Lar Naparka

Quote from: ross4life on March 21, 2015, 01:08:24 AM
Quote from: Lar Naparka on March 20, 2015, 11:30:36 PM

I see ye got bet by Laois, by seven points at that.   
Yet Laois weren't good enough for Cavan, or for Westmeath and could only draw with Meath. Somehow or other, I'll still be sticking me few bob on Mayo to make it five-in-a-row in Connacht this year.
Ya the Laois result suits your argument very well on the other hand we bet Down & Kildare away remind me how Mayo did on their last visits to Newbridge and Newry? i always go for value odds myself & i might place a few bob on Galway to beat ye in June.

Quote from: Lar Naparka on March 20, 2015, 01:55:22 PM
BTW, the Senan bloke would be fairly handy if only ye could get the lazy f**ker to run a biteen faster. Mobility isn't his strongest point. Ian might be useful if he could stay injury-free. Two fine lads, didn't I go to school with their father?
Was talking to Sean Kilbride in Kiltoom on Wednesday night at the U21 game he'd sure love that lazy stereotyping above. Yes not for the first time you have told us that you went to school with him, so it seems like Sean Kilbride you were educated & kicked your first football in Roscommon.  I think its time you signed up to club rossie Lar  :D

<sigh>
Here we go again...
Lookit, as the one and only JH might have put it, I was responding to shrewdness when he got a rush of blood to the head and made the extraordinary statement that:
"At this stage, i reckon that Mayo would be glad of any of the Ros forwards. Ros now surely have better forwards than Mayo."
My not unreasonable response is that he's talking shite,not taking into account that Ross operate in a lower division so direct comparisons are invidious.
In a previous post by larry (syferus?) I picked up on:
"Senan Kilbride, Ian Kilbride = never beaten Mayo. ( senior championship )"
Can you or indeed any rational entity make sense of that?
Nah, I didn't think so.
Now I've nothing personal  against Sean Kilbride's sons- if they are half as good as their father, they have to be decent footballers.
However, Ian is beset by injury and Senan hasn't got fleetness of foot , to put it mildly.
No shame in that, neither has Cillian O'Connor.
Both good footballers but you'll never see either go on defence-splitting solo runs ala James O'Donoghue.
Also, if all Ross forwards are better than their Mayo counterparts, how come they failed to outscore a very mediocre Laois side?
Sure ye bet the likes of Down and Kildare but with all due respects, neither side would come within an asses's roar of Kerry or Monaghan.
Now, I can't be any fairer than that, can I?
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Lar Naparka

Quote from: larryin89 on March 21, 2015, 09:57:43 AM

Ahh will YA shtop , Tis a bit of banter . If it's an indicator for the summer ahead it makes for an electrifying atmosphere for the connacht championship for a change . I long for them days to be back , packed out grounds, Jimmy burkes goal, broken crossbars, Derek duggans point etc etc. I still think we will have the edge but maybe that's in hope rather than rational thoughts.
+1

mjg

Quote from: larryin89 on March 21, 2015, 09:51:58 AM
Oh my Dear Rossie neighbours you are a noisy bunch but the one thing I admire about ye is Ye have the neck of a jockeys bolloix .14 years baten after baten but ye still scream in our faces about your great team. At least your support wagon will be back this year , over the last ten years I never seen such poor turnouts from the Rossie .

Will ye be brave enough to play us in Castlebar if we beat galway or will ye opt for Salthill ?Castlebar mayos home game.Ross mayo galway have an arrangement final or not

larryin89

Quote from: mjg on March 21, 2015, 11:48:16 AM
Quote from: larryin89 on March 21, 2015, 09:51:58 AM

Will ye be brave enough to play us in Castlebar if we beat galway or will ye opt for Salthill ?Castlebar mayos home game.Ross mayo galway have an arrangement final or not

The arrangement became void  for finals when Hyde park was deemed unfit to hold final , now the question is, do Roscommon say , we will have the hyde ready for the next final meeting between the two  and go with Castlebbar or do they go for the neutral ground option ? I'm pretty sure it would be their choice , nothing else would make sense.

giveballaghback

If its a Ros v Mayo connacht final( and neither team may make it that far) it will be in Castlebar, who in their right mind would want to play in salthill, and if ros mayo meet the following year and the hyde is not ready it will still be in Castlebar, both counties are mature enough to work out a proper agreement.

moysider

Agree. Very strange dynamic going on here.

ross4life

Quote from: Lar Naparka on March 21, 2015, 10:26:04 AM

Also, if all Ross forwards are better than their Mayo counterparts, how come they failed to outscore a very mediocre Laois side?
Sure ye bet the likes of Down and Kildare but with all due respects, neither side would come within an asses’s roar of Kerry or Monaghan.
Now, I can’t be any fairer than that, can I?
It took extra time to separate Kildare & Monaghan last summer. Down looking likely to swap places with Derry now & they have top championship record against Kerry.

Our Laois and Down results was indication of how inconsistent as a team we are now though at least we now performing better than our last visit to div 2.

While i'm not getting into the debate on better forwards i do understand what your forwards have is experience & are seasoned at the highest level, i know you probably wouldn't swap them for anyone in the lower leagues however plenty of good forwards are playing in the lower leagues for example Marren Sligo, Quigley Fermanagh, Kingston Laois, Reilly Meath, Sweeney Tipp to name just a few that would all cause plenty of damage to div 1 defences.

Quote from: giveballaghback on March 21, 2015, 02:07:07 PM
If its a Ros v Mayo connacht final( and neither team may make it that far) it will be in Castlebar, who in their right mind would want to play in salthill, and if ros mayo meet the following year and the hyde is not ready it will still be in Castlebar, both counties are mature enough to work out a proper agreement.

Hasn't been a Connacht final down by the seaside since 2009 & while we wait for the redevelopment of the Hyde is it fair to Galway GAA having every final in Castlebar? they have debts to pay off also.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Lar Naparka

Quote from: ross4life on March 21, 2015, 10:02:42 PM
Quote from: Lar Naparka on March 21, 2015, 10:26:04 AM

Sure ye bet the likes of Down and Kildare but with all due respects, neither side would come within an asses's roar of Kerry or Monaghan.
Now, I can't be any fairer than that, can I?
It took extra time to separate Kildare & Monaghan last summer. Down looking likely to swap places with Derry now & they have top championship record against Kerry.

Our Laois and Down results was indication of how inconsistent as a team we are now though at least we now performing better than our last visit to div 2.

While i'm not getting into the debate on better forwards i do understand what your forwards have is experience & are seasoned at the highest level, i know you probably wouldn't swap them for anyone in the lower leagues however plenty of good forwards are playing in the lower leagues for example Marren Sligo, Quigley Fermanagh, Kingston Laois, Reilly Meath, Sweeney Tipp to name just a few that would all cause plenty of damage to div 1 defences.

Yes, you are right there. I think I know what shrewdness meant  but he failed to take into account that Mayo has one of the most seasoned sides in the game and they have had a few years of serious training and conditioning behind them. The forwards work (used to work?) very well as a unit and and no outsider could hope to walk straight onto that team.
Now, your forwards are pretty good, or so it seems . But they never seem able to play to their full potential. It's been a long time since I saw a Rossie side that could or would give a sustained performance from start to finish.
I guess the game today could well define your season.

Not sure of the figures but I think a win today should see you in Div 1 next season. As you say, you're a very inconsistent side but I think you have been that way for a good many years. I can't understand why.

(Good luck today, btw.)

Syferus

Did we not come within an Andy Moran of beating these 'seasoned performers' last year?