Congress

Started by Give and Go, February 28, 2015, 02:47:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Give and Go

Liam O Neill and Padraig Duffy have come out fighting about 'Corporate' GAA and Sky.
It seems that holding a contrary opinion is in some way treasonous.
To me it's a further demonstration of arrogance at the top of the Association.
By not allowing a motion on the Pay per view deal they have confirmed for me that they consider themselves always right and everyone else wrong.

Because Liam O Neill has put a massive effort into the Presidency, it doesn't mean these decisions should to be criticised.

The role of President needs to be looked at; it demands too much of the individual and should not involve the candidate has to take a career break.

Padraig has let fly because there is a perception among GAA people that there is a Corporate GAA. Well there is.
And it's leading us in the wrong direction.

Eamonnca1

If there were a "corporate GAA" then it would mean that people are pocketing money as a result of any extra revenue that comes in. This is a bit of a serious allegation, it's completely unfounded, and it always comes from people who haven't a clue how the GAA works. After the bills are paid, every penny is reinvested in the association. The association is completely open about where the money is spent and publishes its accounts every year in its annual report which is available on the website.

Should criticism be allowed? Of course. But if it's completely off base and full of errors then it's okay for those errors to be pointed out. If you want to criticize the organization, get your facts straight if you don't want your arguments pulled apart.

Rossfan

A lot more happened in Congress than the one issue raised here.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Benchwarmer

Biggest issue from Congress is the motion for county minors not being available to their clubs until intercounty season is complete!
What about the small rural club who would rely heavily on their county minor for league results!
I'm in favour of not burning minors out and obv they shouldn't be playing every sen league game while still involved with intercounty but this blanket ban is ridiculous!!
Another decision voted on in favour of the county over club!
Voted for by the fat cats of cooperate gaa!!
Impact on small clubs, when emigration is hard anyway, could be significant!
Suppose why complain?
Why would that matter to the prawn sandwich eating brigade at congress!!!

manfromdelmonte

I know of 3 clubs that will struggle to field a team without the lads just out of minor

Syferus

Protecting young players > county league results. If clubs can't compete without minors then they should look towards amalgamations.

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: Syferus on February 28, 2015, 06:54:18 PM
Protecting young players > county league results. If clubs can't compete without minors then they should look towards amalgamations.
Not if rival clubs are poaching players. No parish rule here boy

DuffleKing

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on February 28, 2015, 06:47:54 PM
I know of 3 clubs that will struggle to field a team without the lads just out of minor

did I miss another rule change?

The Raven

When do these minor rule changes come into effect, is it Jan 16?.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: Benchwarmer on February 28, 2015, 06:26:50 PM
Voted for by the fat cats of cooperate gaa!!

County board officers are "fat cats"? What kind of salaries are they on?

Give and Go

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on February 28, 2015, 06:08:49 PM
If there were a "corporate GAA" then it would mean that people are pocketing money as a result of any extra revenue that comes in. This is a bit of a serious allegation, it's completely unfounded, and it always comes from people who haven't a clue how the GAA works. After the bills are paid, every penny is reinvested in the association. The association is completely open about where the money is spent and publishes its accounts every year in its annual report which is available on the website.

Should criticism be allowed? Of course. But if it's completely off base and full of errors then it's okay for those errors to be pointed out. If you want to criticize the organization, get your facts straight if you don't want your arguments pulled apart.

It was never suggested people were 'pocketing money'.
'Pocketing money' wouldn't describe  'Corporate'; it would describe theft.
There is no suggestion or innuendo in my post to that effect.

Corporate GAA refers to the direction the GAA is being taken in where it is chasing revenues at the expense of the grass roots. It's becoming more about 'income streams' and 'partners' than it is about what is core to the GAA, the local Club and Club players and competitions.

No need to twist my words.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: Give and Go on March 01, 2015, 12:50:40 AM
Quote from: Eamonnca1 on February 28, 2015, 06:08:49 PM

It was never suggested people were 'pocketing money'.
'Pocketing money' wouldn't describe  'Corporate'; it would describe theft.
There is no suggestion or innuendo in my post to that effect.

Corporate GAA refers to the direction the GAA is being taken in where it is chasing revenues at the expense of the grass roots. It's becoming more about 'income streams' and 'partners' than it is about what is core to the GAA, the local Club and Club players and competitions.

No need to twist my words.

How is it "at the expense of the grass roots" when so much of the income gets reinvested in the grass roots?

neilthemac

Our club has never seen any money.

Silver hill

'Corporate ' in Gaa terms means promoting county football to the detriment of club. As an organisation we definitely do need to have a look at the direction we're moving in. We were sold a pup by Duffy/o'neill et al re the sky deal. Peter McKenna has done a brilliant job in maximising the revenue streams from croke park, but how much do we need and should it ever compromise our games as it did last year with the semi final reply moving to limerick because of the gridiron? Do we need all these vanity projects in cork and belfast? 100 million combined..that's obscene. As an organisation we need to look seriously at the product, ie, the game itself. County football is a behometh and we will lose club players to rugby and soccer because of the lack of games in a season. Too many counties put club football on hold until county team are eliminated. Bring in the structure whereby players are released to county from clubs for 2 weeks prior to championship. A bit like the provinces v country in rugby. Clubs also need to have a look at themselves and allow games to proceed without their county players.

manfromdelmonte

our club pulls out of one primary school mainly, and it barely gets any coaching from the county board.

Only that we have been sending in volunteers into the school to provide regular, structured coaching the kids wouldn't get any.
We are never offered coaching visits to the club. there does not appear to be grants in the county for anything to do with coaching, equipment or training.
So, basically we have seen nothing of the so called 'grassroots' benefits.