Dublin v Tyrone 7th March 2015 7pm - 20 years ago since 1995 AI final Rivalry

Started by Fuzzman, February 27, 2015, 03:54:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Canalman

Quote from: nrico2006 on March 05, 2015, 08:10:29 AM
Quote from: Lamh Dhearg Alba on March 04, 2015, 08:23:19 PM
Quote from: An Watcher on March 02, 2015, 11:11:29 PM
Does it really matter if he touched it or not. He occupied defenders who otherwise could have been pushed up the field.  Not to worry though as we got there in the end. Just a pity for some of the players from that team

The Redmond fiasco and the wrongly disallowed point were heartbreaking at the time but ultimately Tyrone didn't play well enough on the day. It was far from a vintage Dublin team and I reckon one of the weakest All-Ireland winning sides in recent memory. But only two Tyrone men scored and the majority of the scores were from frees. Easy to blame the ref but Tyrone just didn't do enough that day.

Very tough for Tyrone this weekend but they have done reasonably well against the Dubs in the league in recent years so you never know. Even a draw would be a very good result.

It ultimately wasn't their own performance though that decided the game, it was 2 bad calls made from the referee.

Which game are you commenting on?  ........... the 1995 or 2003 final. Arguably your comment is accurate for both games.

Really looking forward to the Cork game next Saturday............. less so the football which I feel has the makings of a spikey affair.

nrico2006

Quote from: Canalman on March 05, 2015, 09:23:35 AM
Quote from: nrico2006 on March 05, 2015, 08:10:29 AM
Quote from: Lamh Dhearg Alba on March 04, 2015, 08:23:19 PM
Quote from: An Watcher on March 02, 2015, 11:11:29 PM
Does it really matter if he touched it or not. He occupied defenders who otherwise could have been pushed up the field.  Not to worry though as we got there in the end. Just a pity for some of the players from that team

The Redmond fiasco and the wrongly disallowed point were heartbreaking at the time but ultimately Tyrone didn't play well enough on the day. It was far from a vintage Dublin team and I reckon one of the weakest All-Ireland winning sides in recent memory. But only two Tyrone men scored and the majority of the scores were from frees. Easy to blame the ref but Tyrone just didn't do enough that day.

Very tough for Tyrone this weekend but they have done reasonably well against the Dubs in the league in recent years so you never know. Even a draw would be a very good result.

It ultimately wasn't their own performance though that decided the game, it was 2 bad calls made from the referee.

Which game are you commenting on?  ........... the 1995 or 2003 final. Arguably your comment is accurate for both games.

Really looking forward to the Cork game next Saturday............. less so the football which I feel has the makings of a spikey affair.

There was no valid game deciding score ruled out in 2003 and none of teams in 2003 had an illegal extra player on the pitch.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

squire_in_navy_slacks

Quote from: rrhf on March 04, 2015, 10:54:01 PM
Tyrone will give the dubs their fill of it this Saturday. Kerry and done gal have shown up a soft centre.  I'd say gavin is a worried man.

Soft centre ??, Remember James McCarthy, Flynn, Connolly, Mdma all to come back in there and maybe put some shoulder to the wheel

Lamh Dhearg Alba

Quote from: Canalman on March 05, 2015, 09:23:35 AM

I think 2003 is a poor comparison. The red card for Marsden was overturned on a technicality. He did raise his hands and hit Philip Jordan, however poor it was of Jordan to run at him then hit the ground dramatically after being hit. In 1995 there were two genuine refereeing mistakes, one of which directly prevented Tyrone getting a draw.

Where the comparison does stand up is that some Armagh fans still complain about that decision costing them an All-Ireland when in reality they were well beaten by a better team. They didn't deserve to win. Tyrone didn't do enough to win in 1995. Dublin didn't do enough to beat Tyrone in 2005 either. Refereeing mistakes are very frustrating but they are also an easy excuse for fans rather than accepting their team's shortcomings.

Captain Obvious

In the terms of quality Dublin 1995 had to be the worst All Ireland winner of the last twenty years.

squire_in_navy_slacks

Quote from: Captain Obvious on March 05, 2015, 06:22:35 PM
In the terms of quality Dublin 1995 had to be the worst All Ireland winner of the last twenty years.

Kerry vs Donegal not far behind, Muck

Canalman

Quote from: Captain Obvious on March 05, 2015, 06:22:35 PM

Matter of opinion.

Played sparkling football in Leinster final and AI semi final. Didn't play well in AIF I will admit.
Better Dublin teams imo the previous years and also in 1996 but won nothing.

twohands!!!

1 – Niall Morgan – Éadan na dTorc
2 – Aidan McCrory – Aireagal Chiaráin
3 – Ronan McNamee – Achadh Uí Aráin
4 – Cathal McCarron – An Droim Mór
5 – Ronan McNabb – An Droim Mór
6 – Justin McMahon – An Omaigh
7 – Peter Harte – Aireagal Chiaráin
8 – Colm Cavanagh – An Mhaigh
9 – Padraig McNulty – Dún Geanainn
10 – Tiernan McCann – Coill an Chlochair
11 – Mattie Donnelly – Trí Leac
12 – Barry Tierney – An Omaigh
13 – Darren McCurry – Éadan na dTorc
14 – Sean Cavanagh (c) – An Mhaigh
15 – Connor McAliskey – Cluain Eo

16 – Michael O'Neill – Cluain Eo
17 – Mark Bradley – Coill an Chlochair
18 – Rory Brennan – Trí Leac
19 – Peter Hughes – Eiscreach
20 – PJ Lavery – Cluain Eo
21 – Conall McCann – Coill an Chochair
22 – Emmett McKenna – Eaglais
23 – Ryan McKenna – Eaglais
24 – Patrick McNeice – Oileán a'Ghuail
25 – Cathal McShane – E R Uí Néill
26 – Ronan O Neill – An Omaigh

omagh_gael

Fuzzman

Redhand Santa

I know after last year one of the big wishes was for Harte to get a settled team this year. In fairness we seem to be getting there and look much more settled than last year. On paper it looks like a strong enough team.

Reasonably strong  defensively and pushing Donnelly and Harte up should improve the half forward scoring power. What I want to see is a bit of consistency and character from the team. They seem to turn it on and off. A high energy hard working performance got a result in mayo but the levels and physicality seemed to drop last week.

If they're as up for it on Saturday as the mayo game I would not be surprised if we can pull of a victory. I just hope we don't get too bogged down on defensive tactics and Donnelly Harte etc are allowed to bomb forward. Them combined with cavanagh mccurry and Mcaliskey should get scores if allowed to push up.

In terms of the team I'd say there is 11 close to cemented starters. Tierney mcnulty McCann and Mcaliskey have to prove there place in the team. Pj lavery has did well coming of the bench and I think that will be his role, as a game opens up he can cause problems. Would like to get a look at Bradley.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Right, Fuzzman has come off the beer (allegedly), and unlocked the accidentally locked thread on the big game! ;)

Anyway, we Dublin domiciled Tyronies are having something of a free bash in da Capital on the eve of the mighty clash between the Division I table-scraping Dubs and the slightly less table-scraping Tyrone, in the Lansdowne Hotel on Pembroke Road, D4 (don't ya bleedin' know!).

Everyone, regardless of unfortunate county of genesis, is more than welcome, where we can offer:

• Music of the very highest calibre, sort of, yaay! Great music, actually, from Brendan 'Bacon' Gallagher from Strabane, with very able accomplices from Tipperary, and possibly, even elsewhere!
  • A guest appearance from the one and only Charlie Redmond
  • Carrickmore's Séamus Mc Callan, very placid these days, so we'll have no more of this oul chat about 1995 (even though Paddy Russell declined our very meek, mild and totally submissive invitations to attend)
  • Noel Mc Ginn as MC (yeah, THAT Noel Mc Ginn), who'll be broadcasting live on TeamTalkMag.com
  • Cathal Coyle with his Little Book of Tyrone
  • €4 a feckin' pint!
  • All totally free (apart from the cheap pints)!
  • And quite probably more players from that era

I would say that, in particular, Charlie could do with a bit of oul support from his fellow Dubs, if any of you lot fancy it. Promise, we'll treat you a lot more kindly on the Friday evening than our football compadres will do on the Saturday evening! ;)

Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Fuzzman

Watching this now
Dublin V Tyrone 1995 All Ireland Final: http://youtu.be/5ZSL_szMke8
I forgot it was Charlie Darling who got the goal.
Was an amazing move from start to finish.
Any time PTG got the ball there was 5 men round him.
Wasn't called a blanket back then.
Big Mattie playing a blinder
Did the Ref change his mind NOT to send Charlie off?
Dubs very cynical.
Dubs only scored 2 points in the 2nd half
12 men behind the ball for most of 2nd half

ONeill

Paddy, in his book, said he assumed Charlie was off the field.

Not really a blanket - Dubs forwards were mostly in place. They just didn't have to mark anyone else.

Another thing is the athleticism and physique was completely different. And plenty of aimless hail marys.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.