yanks visiting Ireland- ideas please

Started by heganboy, February 26, 2015, 02:43:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Canalman

Quote from: heganboy on February 26, 2015, 04:25:55 PM
These are great folks, keep em coming. AZ - not a golfing crew. Any thoughts on whether Newgrange is worth the trip?

Imo no. Massively overrated as is the Giant's Causeway which to say the least was not what I expected.

While nice places in themselves I would give Cork, Waterford, Wexford etc a miss if on a  tight timeline.
Dingle peninsula in Kerry a must with a visit to the Blaskets recommended.

Area around Kylemore Abbey in Galway is absolutely stunning.

Photo at the famous Derry mural also should be done as well as a walk around the walls.

seafoid

Quote from: AZOffaly on February 26, 2015, 03:51:21 PM
Quote from: seafoid on February 26, 2015, 03:41:23 PM
A hurling match in Tipp and a decent trad session somewhere like Clare or Donegal.A bingo session in the midlands. A feed of pints in Shannonbridge. A day fishing on the Moy.

Now you're talking. Tie up the boat, and dander up to Killeens for pints of stout, sitting on the fridge for the ice creams :)
that place is fantastic. Half of it is a shop. And great atmosphere.

Bingo

I'd do Dublin then head to Galway (Aran island a good call) and onto Westport, climb the Reek, might out in Westport and back to Dublin.

Failing that Dublin and Killarney - Muckross, Ring of Kerry, Dingle etc. Yanks look that stuff.

playwiththewind1st

Do the same shit as they do - put you through hoops at emigration on both sides of the Atlantic & put you totally off travelling.

The Subbie

S :)eptember you say?

A weekend on the piss at the Blue's Festival in Monaghan Town.

They will enjoy it

theticklemister

Quote from: gallsman on February 26, 2015, 05:00:26 PM
If September, All Ireland tickets?

Galway for a night on the tear.

Dublin mountain walking.

Some uproar on the board if all the yanks got the all-Ireland final tickets.

It would be like 'The Field'  x 100.

Íseal agus crua isteach a

Quote from: heganboy on February 26, 2015, 02:43:50 PM
Dearest GAAboarders, I need help!

I have a crew of 8 25-35 year olds from the US trying to put together a good itinerary for an Ireland trip for a 1 week visit. They would be flying from New York into Dublin and probably September/October. They'd be fond of a pint and up for a bit of craic. Some of the usual touristy stuff, but also anything a bit less obvious would be great.

Any advice and suggestions welcome.

Thanks
HB

My parents have a hostel "sheepislandview" in Ballintoy. They cater to American groups regularly. Most group bookings like this take over a section or building and use it as a base to see various sites.

Ballintoy harbor (where some of games of thrones was filmed )
White park bay
Portbraddon
Carrick a rede rope bridge
Giants Causeway
Bushmills distillery
Dunluce Castle
Glens of Antrim
Rathlin Island

If they want to see some top class hurling they only have to go to Ballycastle :) which is next door.

michaelg

Quote from: Canalman on February 26, 2015, 05:04:06 PM
These are great folks, keep em coming. AZ - not a golfing crew. Any thoughts on whether Newgrange is worth the trip?

Imo no. Massively overrated as is the Giant's Causeway which to say the least was not what I expected.

While nice places in themselves I would give Cork, Waterford, Wexford etc a miss if on a  tight timeline.

Photo at the famous Derry mural also should be done as well as a walk around the walls.
Travel all the way from USA and end up in Derry?  You having a laugh?

theticklemister

Quote from: michaelg on February 26, 2015, 11:23:04 PM
Quote from: Canalman on February 26, 2015, 05:04:06 PM

Travel all the way from USA and end up in Derry?  You having a laugh?

Go and fcuk yourself

tyssam5

Quote from: AZOffaly on February 26, 2015, 04:49:05 PM
Kerry surely for a couple of days. Dingle or the Ring of Kerry. September definitely. October might be a bit iffy, given the weather. Also if they like their food, there's a lot of sort of 'guest house/fine restaurant things' like Ballymaloe House in Cork etc. What are their interests.

I went to Dingle with some Americans September before last. Myself and the barman were the only Irish people they met.

weareros

If you want megalithic, Sligo is the place to go. Have them climb up Knocknarea to see Maeve's cairn. Take them to Carrowmore to see a passage tomb older than newgrange and drive them up Carrowkeel (one scary turn) to see spectacular old megalithic tombs and amazing views of Connacht with nary a tourist in sight.

BennyCake

Giants fcukin' Causeway?! What a shithole. The last place I'd take anyone.

Dingle peninsula
Achill
Arans
Carlingford
Kilkenny
Ring of Kerry

ardchieftain

Newgrange and Emain Macha are the two places  i bring any foreign friends i have over, and not one of them have been unimpressed. Glendalough in the autumn is stunning too.

Captain Obvious

Quote from: ardchieftain on February 27, 2015, 01:59:01 AM

Newgrange and Emain Macha are the two places  i bring any foreign friends i have over, and not one of them have been unimpressed. Glendalough in the autumn is stunning too.
Have to arrive early to Newgrange they only allow so many tourists in per day. Glendalough a must see powerscourt waterfall with plenty of hiking and walking to be done. Bray could be used as a base. Onto Kilkenny for a few drinks.

Eamonnca1

Titanic Belfast. Also go and see the Thompson Graving Dock and pumphouse. Very interesting. Skip the Nomadic. It's worth seeing but not worth going to see.