New Catholic Church/ DUP coalition! Is this they way forward?

Started by T Fearon, February 24, 2015, 05:46:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

T Fearon

Ziggy i do not support discrimination against anyone.

Rossfan I am in agreement with you.

deiseach

Quote from: Rossfan on February 25, 2015, 03:48:04 PM
If a private business wants to turn away customers - let them at it. It creates a grand little opportunity for someone else.
E.g if Tony's mythical B+B doesn't want gay couples, unmarried heterosexual couples or whatever - open another B+B near him with a sign saying "All paying guests welcome".
Different if it's a public body e.g a Council refusing Planning permission to a gay couple to build a house.

The same rationale used by supporters of segregation in the South during Jim Crow. Open your own shop, Dr King.

T Fearon

Rubbish.It is not segregation,discrimination nor bigotry to retain the right to refrain from providing goods or services contrary to your religious beliefs.If a Catholic pharmacist refuses to stock contracepties for catholic customers is thatbdiscrimination? Ashers have basically done something similar to this.

Rossfan

Quote from: deiseach on February 25, 2015, 04:05:16 PM
If a private business wants to turn away customers - let them at it. It creates a grand little opportunity for someone else.
E.g if Tony's mythical B+B doesn't want gay couples, unmarried heterosexual couples or whatever - open another B+B near him with a sign saying "All paying guests welcome".
Different if it's a public body e.g a Council refusing Planning permission to a gay couple to build a house.

The same rationale used by supporters of segregation in the South during Jim Crow. Open your own shop, Dr King.
Dr King's shop would no doubt get the custom of fair minded whites and ALL the black people.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

deiseach

Quote from: Rossfan on February 25, 2015, 04:13:22 PM
Quote from: deiseach on February 25, 2015, 04:05:16 PM

Dr King's shop would no doubt get the custom of fair minded whites and ALL the black people.

What, both of them? How far does this libertarian notion of yours go? Do you think attempts to get Harland and Wolff and Shorts to employ Catholics to have been an infringement on their civil liberties? Maybe the Taigs should have set up their own ship yard.

Rossfan

You remind me of that remit that used to head the Equality Authority.
He came up with so many PC off the wall rulings FF had to fire him.
Last straw was when ruled against a publican who refused to serve a drunk lad who had a child with him at 9 PM.
He declared it discrimination against people with children.

give her dixie

Quote from: T Fearon on February 25, 2015, 02:32:11 PM
I'm just wondering how many of the great defenders of human rights here would willingly be seen entering a gay bar or club for example?

I have no problem going into gay bars. In fact, since I don't go to church anymore it's the only place where I meet Priests.
next stop, September 10, for number 4......

Hardy

Quote from: T Fearon on February 25, 2015, 02:30:21 PM
I cannot perceive any other plausible reason why two same sex members would want to share a bed.In fact in my experience hetrosexual males are loathe to even share a room!

muppet

Quote from: T Fearon on February 25, 2015, 02:32:11 PM
I'm just wondering how many of the great defenders of human rights here would willingly be seen entering a gay bar or club for example?

I don't know if you will find a date here, but good luck with it.
MWWSI 2017

deiseach

Quote from: Rossfan on February 25, 2015, 04:38:30 PM
Last straw was when ruled against a publican who refused to serve a drunk lad who had a child with him at 9 PM.

Can you provide a link to this case? Thanks.

Rossfan

No,.. It was 2009 or 2010 as far as I recall. Crowley was the head of that Body.

armaghniac

Quote from: deiseach on February 25, 2015, 05:06:05 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on February 25, 2015, 04:38:30 PM

Can you provide a link to this case? Thanks.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/publicans-attack-daft-bid-to-scrap-child-pub-curfews-26060772.html

Michael McDowell subsequently amended the law to bring in the 9pm curfew for minors in the  Intoxicating Liquor Act 2003.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

J70

Quote from: T Fearon on February 24, 2015, 09:36:17 PM
Jesus would love the sinner and hate the sin.Equality is not achieved by approving or tolerating sin,and it is total hypocrisy to advocate gay marriage etc while ridiculing Christianity and Christians

By that  logic, it must be total hypocrisy to advocate racial equality while ridiculing racists.

Is there anything that can't be labeled hypocrisy by that standard?

Perhaps you need to look up the definition of "hypocrisy"?

For example, if I was to advocate for gay marriage while, behind the scenes doing everything I could to prevent it, that would be hypocritical. Advocating for something while ridiculing  those who oppose it, is not, in any shape or form, hypocrisy. And intolerance of intolerance is not a bad thing.

deiseach

That's the case I thought it might be, armaghniac. No mention of drunkenness there, and the law has been changed since then. Rightly so, in my opinion, but it's so much easier to lump people in with those you don't like than respond to awkward scenarios.