Managers - "outside" versus "inside"

Started by magpie seanie, February 24, 2015, 11:30:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: AZOffaly on February 24, 2015, 01:29:12 PM
Kildare - McGeeney, Jason Ryan, Micko!!! Dermot Earley too, though he was based there for years

Kildare have only had three native managers since the 1970s. Johnny Crofton and Padraig Nolan in the 2000s and Eamonn O'Donoghue who had two stints in charge in the 70s and 80s.

Apart from Micko, McGeeney, Jason Ryan and Dermot Earley senior we had Bobby Burns (Longford) and John Courteny (Cork) in the 80s and Pat Fitzgerald (Offaly) before Micko took over in 1991. Of those names, although Burns, Courtney and Earley were not natives, it would be unfair to describe them as outsiders. Burns lived near Punchestown for decades up until his death a few years ago while Courtney and Earley were heavily involved in Sarsfields having settled in Newbridge to pursue their military careers.

I never knew until reading this thread that Courtney had succeeded Eugene McGee in Offaly. He was part of the Dubs backroom team in 2013 but then again who wasn't?  ;)
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

snoopdog

Quote from: mackers on February 24, 2015, 03:28:59 PM
Quote from: twohands!!! on February 24, 2015, 02:37:39 PM
The insider only counties so are

Football
Down
Dublin
Kerry
Cork

Although Dublin have Tommy Lyons and Cork have Larry Tompkins, who look a bit questionable

Hurling
Kilkenny
Tipperary
Cork
Down are currently managed by an Armagh man.
Yes McCorry is a Lurgan man who also managed Armagh. but he has lived in Down and been involved in Down Football for 20 odd years winning a few county titles. an outsider but is he really.  I  also think McManus who managed Down in the late 80's was an Antrim man if anyone can confirm?

Sidney

Quote from: johnneycool on February 24, 2015, 04:22:51 PM

Hard to believe, but Joe McGrath who managed Cork in the 70's was born in Co. Down.
Not sure if he ever actually managed the Cork senior hurling team though? Bertie Troy was certainly their manager for the three in a row from '76 to '78.

I know he was almost appointed in 1989 but Fr. Michael O'Brien got the job instead.

ross4life

Quote from: AZOffaly on February 24, 2015, 01:05:12 PM
Has there ever been a Ballaghadreen manager of Roscommon, or Mayo? :D 
From what i recall Sean Kilbride was part of Dermot Earleys Ros management team in the mid 90s.

Quote from: muppet on February 24, 2015, 02:13:22 PM

John O'Mahony is from Kilmovee which is in Co. Mayo now, was in Co. Mayo 1898 and always played its football in Mayo. As far as I am aware, he didn't harbour a secret desire to play for the Rossie Globebussers.
Yes Johno is a Mayo/Kilmovee man though he was educated in Roscommon,worked and is still living there i think.

Quote from: muppet on February 24, 2015, 01:57:52 PM
Roscommon: John Maughan, Evans, Tommy Carr
You left out the one that won us a Connacht title, John Tobin Galway.

Quote from: Syferus on February 24, 2015, 03:22:22 PM
John Evans restored our faith that outside managers weren't all tools. And he was the one D. Brady called a mercenary too.
Brady has come out with some silly comments over the years like the one about the O'Sheas knowing their own games so well that they even sleep together.

Could say Carr,Maughan were more physical/fitness trainers than managers and they didn't even succeed with that as as we weren't very fit. We were established div 1 team before Carr arrived he left us in div 3 recommended Maughan in 05 & the scars of those two appointments still remain to this day.

The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Ciarrai_thuaidh

Quote from: Sidney on February 24, 2015, 05:52:03 PM
Quote from: johnneycool on February 24, 2015, 04:22:51 PM

Hard to believe, but Joe McGrath who managed Cork in the 70's was born in Co. Down.
Not sure if he ever actually managed the Cork senior hurling team though? Bertie Troy was certainly their manager for the three in a row from '76 to '78.

I know he was almost appointed in 1989 but Fr. Michael O'Brien got the job instead.

He didn't..he managed the footballers. Was joint manager with Eamonn Ryan in 1983 I know for sure..maybe he was there longer.
"Better to die on your feet,than live on your knees"...

upthehoops

Quote from: snoopdog on February 24, 2015, 05:32:50 PM

Football
Down
Dublin
Kerry
Cork

Although Dublin have Tommy Lyons and Cork have Larry Tompkins, who look a bit questionable

Hurling
Kilkenny
Tipperary
Cork
Yes McCorry is a Lurgan man who also managed Armagh. but he has lived in Down and been involved in Down Football for 20 odd years winning a few county titles. an outsider but is he really.  I  also think McManus who managed Down in the late 80's was an Antrim man if anyone can confirm?

Yes McManus did manage Down and is an Antrim man

muppet

Thinking further about this Galway's Liam O'Neill managed Mayo in the 1980s.
MWWSI 2017

Ciarrai_thuaidh

Isn't this all a bit pointless really? I'd love to get on my high horse and say "Kerry don't need outsiders" etc etc, but truth is, a Kildare man had a huge part to play in our success last year..as big as Fitzmaurice I would say.
Dempsey from Laois has had a big influence in Kilkenny as Cody has stated himself.
Like the who debate about whether a guy is a club manager or coach/trainer, the lines are blurry on this one.
"Better to die on your feet,than live on your knees"...

5 Sams

Quote from: upthehoops on February 24, 2015, 07:29:22 PM

Football
Down
Dublin
Kerry
Cork

Hurling
Kilkenny
Tipperary
Cork

Yep Jackie McManus did manage Down and I think he was involved with Burren at one stage as well.  Here's one for you Down lads..do you remember a man called Seán Smith...I think he managed Down in the late 70s/early 80s as well.....and I think he was from Antrim. Open to clarification and correction.
The Aristocrat Years

INDIANA

John Evans restored our faith that outside managers weren't all tools. And he was the one D. Brady called a mercenary too.

Div 3 still? Just checking.

Rossfan

Quote from: INDIANA on February 24, 2015, 11:18:35 PM

Keep picking from ye're 600,000 males and we'll keep picking from our 32,000.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

INDIANA

Quote from: Rossfan on February 24, 2015, 11:58:09 PM

Let's stick  to the facts
So still div 3. Sizeable underage success since 2008 and still in third tier football. Good job ? Well if you say so

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Rossfan

Quote from: INDIANA on February 25, 2015, 12:10:03 AM
Quote from: Rossfan on February 24, 2015, 11:58:09 PM

Let's stick  to the facts
So still div 3. Sizeable underage success since 2008 and still in third tier football. Good job ? Well if you say so

For all we're smartarse Jackeeness .... We're in Division 2.
Facts buckeens eh?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

angermanagement

Quote from: 5 Sams on February 24, 2015, 10:26:31 PM
Quote from: upthehoops on February 24, 2015, 07:29:22 PM

Football
Down
Dublin
Kerry
Cork

Hurling
Kilkenny
Tipperary
Cork

Yep Jackie McManus did manage Down and I think he was involved with Burren at one stage as well.  Here's one for you Down lads..do you remember a man called Seán Smith...I think he managed Down in the late 70s/early 80s as well.....and I think he was from Antrim. Open to clarification and correction.

Yes I remember him managed Bryansford, Loughinisland also the Poly as well. Not sure where he's from but his name never comes up when discussing outside managers.