Chelsea fan sorry over Paris Metro incident

Started by never kickt a ball, February 22, 2015, 10:45:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rossfan

Quote from: Mike Sheehy on February 24, 2015, 01:28:30 AM
It is pointless expressing outrage against these fellas if you don't confront the likes of Seafoid and Bennycake on this board. They are all birds of a feather, just different hues....
You really need help to get over your Seafóid obsession  :-[
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Main Street

Quote from: Asal Mor on February 23, 2015, 11:45:51 PM
Quote from: Main Street on February 23, 2015, 11:22:26 PM
I thought the Indo's article on the ex RUC officer was more slanted to highlight the inherent contradictions in the character,
and just how is a person (who claims innocence)  branded a racist by context and circumstances"?
+1. if it turns out he wasn't involved in the pushing or chanting, then some people will have been a bit too hasty in condemning him. it's a bit harsh to condemn him for not intervening. I remember being in a situation years ago where i saw a fella taking a bad beating from a few yobs and I wanted to intervene but I actually froze with fear, and a few seconds later they stopped and left him alone. I was a coward but i didn't fail to intervene out of apathy. We'd all like to think we'd have stepped in and helped that lad on the train but it's hard to know until you're there.

You reaction would also depend on the situation,   context and circumstance :)

Re our alleged racist in denial, he's mature enough in years, has a police training, boasts of a long cv in human rights work, has a confessed active awareness about racism of which he has very strong opinion about,  he abhors racism.

Yet he did nothing.  if he is who he claims to be,  his instinct should have kicked in and either verbally intervened or got off the train, he should have been able to manage some appropriate action

The sunday world report
http://www.sundayworld.com/news/news/chelsea-race-thug-is-ex-irish-cop

Chelsea race thug is ex Irish cop ???

Last night, a former RUC officer told us: "I recognised Barklie right away – in fact as soon as I saw the film footage on the TV news, I knew it was him."

He can be clearly seen shoving a black man trying to board the train back out the door and on to the platform. If you ask me was I surprised? I'd have to answer 'No'.

Asal Mor

If he had been an innocent bystander(and it sounds like he wasn't) it would have been fine for him not to get involved. Of course, I think we should all try to help if we see someone in distress, but he's perfectly entitled to put his own safety first. He could have a family to support. I think it'd be different if he was still an active police officer. And I don't think his role as a director of a human rights organisation obliges him to act as a vigilante wherever he sees discrimination and injustice.

Obviously the right thing to do is to get involved and I'd love to think I'd have had the courage to stand up for that man if I'd been there.

muppet

Quote from: Asal Mor on February 24, 2015, 01:29:30 PM
If he had been an innocent bystander(and it sounds like he wasn't) it would have been fine for him not to get involved. Of course, I think we should all try to help if we see someone in distress, but he's perfectly entitled to put his own safety first. He could have a family to support. I think it'd be different if he was still an active police officer. And I don't think his role as a director of a human rights organisation obliges him to act as a vigilante wherever he sees discrimination and injustice.

Obviously the right thing to do is to get involved and I'd love to think I'd have had the courage to stand up for that man if I'd been there.

I am the type to open my mouth before engaging my brain, but the prospect taking on a bunch of football hooligans might help me keep my mouth shut. I hope.
MWWSI 2017

johnneycool

Quote from: muppet on February 24, 2015, 01:49:05 PM

I am the type to open my mouth before engaging my brain, but the prospect taking on a bunch of football hooligans might help me keep my mouth shut. I hope.

There's no denying that, but would you actively have been pushing the lad back out the train just to be seen as one of the lads?

muppet

Quote from: johnneycool on February 24, 2015, 03:06:05 PM

There's no denying that, but would you actively have been pushing the lad back out the train just to be seen as one of the lads?

I suspect his defence might be, I recognised that he was in danger and I saved him by pushing him off the train.  :D
MWWSI 2017

Keyser soze

He probably didnt want to open his mouth in case his fellow Chelsea supporters recognised his accent and put him off the train too, or gave him a kibbin for being a farking irish caaant

Main Street

Is that the only choice of action that comes to your mind?
How about  saying something, or just simply leaving the train to stand with the target on the platform?
Anyway  standing up for somebody in that situation, you don't think about it you would just do what fits.

muppet

Quote from: Main Street on February 24, 2015, 03:38:54 PM

How about  saying something, or just simply leaving the train to stand with the target on the platform?
Anyway  standing up for somebody in that situation, you don't think about it you would just do what fits.

Have you been in the company of a bunch of football hooligans?
MWWSI 2017

CiKe

Quote from: muppet on February 24, 2015, 03:43:51 PM

Your experience with them would definitely make you think twice in spite of everyone wanting to think that they would do the right things. I had an incident a few years ago down near Hurlingham park in London where was crossing a road with earphones on and a red man at the lights but nothing coming. Next thing a guy comes screaming round the corner in a 4x4 and nearly runs me over. I had to jump back and he had to slow down and he wound down the window to give me abuse at which point i told him to feck off - we were both in wrong as I shouldn't have been crossing but he was driving way too fast.

Next thing the guy stops, gets out of his vehicle and has a machete in his hand - didnt even have to get it from the boot or anything. Asked me did I have anything to say to him. Now apparently the reactions are fight, flight or freeze and I was so stunned I just stood there rooted to the ground. Even if had wanted to say something, I couldn't have.

The fella had a Chelsea top on. Was so paralysed by fear that didn't think to take note of any details like licence plate until he had gone of course.

Now, I'm fairly certain I wouldn't be pushing this poor fella off the train and I'd like to think that if there were punches thrown that I'd have said something but if you have had any dealings with this type in the past, I suspect you would probably be doing your best to keep your head down unless things got really out of hand.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: CiKe on February 24, 2015, 04:14:19 PM

Your experience with them would definitely make you think twice in spite of everyone wanting to think that they would do the right things. I had an incident a few years ago down near Hurlingham park in London where was crossing a road with earphones on and a red man at the lights but nothing coming. Next thing a guy comes screaming round the corner in a 4x4 and nearly runs me over. I had to jump back and he had to slow down and he wound down the window to give me abuse at which point i told him to feck off - we were both in wrong as I shouldn't have been crossing but he was driving way too fast.

Next thing the guy stops, gets out of his vehicle and has a machete in his hand - didnt even have to get it from the boot or anything. Asked me did I have anything to say to him. Now apparently the reactions are fight, flight or freeze and I was so stunned I just stood there rooted to the ground. Even if had wanted to say something, I couldn't have.

The fella had a Chelsea top on. Was so paralysed by fear that didn't think to take note of any details like licence plate until he had gone of course.

Now, I'm fairly certain I wouldn't be pushing this poor fella off the train and I'd like to think that if there were punches thrown that I'd have said something but if you have had any dealings with this type in the past, I suspect you would probably be doing your best to keep your head down unless things got really out of hand.

was over in Manchester with my dad years ago at a game and we got the ferry from Scotland back to Larne (I think) we got on early and all good, headed round the bar to relax have a pint, then all of a sudden about 100 Rangers fans came on screaming like banshees!! All the usual crap

I said nowt but one of the lads from the crowd recognised me from my old work (shipyard) came over and said Mucker it would be better for you and your dad to find another seat, in a totally nice way and with a bitta sense, I duly left that part of the boat and we sat elsewhere, half hour later they were beating the fcuk out of themselves, UDA and UVF twats.... never get involved with a mob, what the feck can you actually do, really?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

mikehunt

was on a train one day when a load of dubs fans got on after a National League match. ticket checker came along and one particular gent had no ticket. he then started giving the checker racist abuse when asked for a ticket. checker had the right to call ahead and get him thrown off. one lad spoke up. their ire turned towards him and the ticket checker p!ssed off and left him.

Main Street

Thats not answering my question
Is direct confrontation the only option that comes to your mind?
Considering the shadow of this trained ruc killer, loomed large across the train carriage, I doubt if words by him telling those midgets  to back off and leave the gentleman alone ,would have resulted in carnage.
And if that fear would loom large in his head, he had the option of leaving the carriage, the company he was keeping and express his solidarity with the passenger by standing alongside him on the station platform, also seeing as he abhors racism this would be an entirely doable action  even if he was a fearful lad like yourself.

One time I came to the aid of a distressed woman who was being robbed by 4 people on the tube in London. I'd consider that to be a more threatening situation than standing up to a few yobs  chanting some racist jibes.
So I don't accept this man's excuses, the sincerity of his apology or the validity of his credentials, he did not perform any action to distance himself from those yobs, his words carry no effect now.

muppet

Quote from: Main Street on February 24, 2015, 05:17:49 PM

Considering the shadow of this trained ruc killer, loomed large across the train carriage, I doubt if words by him telling those midgets  to back off and leave the gentleman alone ,would have resulted in carnage.
And if that fear would loom large in his head, he had the option of leaving the carriage, the company he was keeping and express his solidarity with the passenger by standing alongside him on the station platform, also seeing as he abhors racism this would be an entirely doable action  even if he was a fearful lad like yourself.

One time I came to the aid of a distressed woman who was being robbed by 4 people on the tube in London. I'd consider that to be a more threatening situation than standing up to a few yobs  chanting some racist jibes.
So I don't accept this man's excuses, the sincerity of his apology or the validity of his credentials, he did not perform any action to distance himself from those yobs, his words carry no effect now.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Fair play for standing up against 4 men, who were probably concerned others would join in with you.

But there is no comparison whatsoever in standing up to a bunch of thugs, knowing that if anyone joins in it will be to kick you in the head.
MWWSI 2017

tyssam5

Quote from: muppet on February 24, 2015, 06:20:45 PM
Quote from: Main Street on February 24, 2015, 05:17:49 PM

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Fair play for standing up against 4 men, who were probably concerned others would join in with you.

But there is no comparison whatsoever in standing up to a bunch of thugs, knowing that if anyone joins in it will be to kick you in the head.

Is this point not moot?

Does the video not clearly show him shoving the guy off the train and then positioning himself at the front preventing him reboarding?