ROSCOMMON v MEATH...

Started by Shrewdness, February 22, 2015, 09:33:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Rossfan on March 23, 2015, 10:57:30 AM
Good piece by McGee. No harm at all to have some constructive criticism.
We are quite green and need to learn some tricks.
No doubt with a manager fromthe home of dirty tricks to win games we'll be improving in that Dept.  ;)
What's this?
Is John Maughan coming back again? ;D
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Syferus

Quote from: Rossfan on March 23, 2015, 10:57:30 AM
Good piece by McGee. No harm at all to have some constructive criticism.
We are quite green and need to learn some tricks.
No doubt with a manager fromthe home of dirty tricks to win games we'll be improving in that Dept.  ;)

Oxymoron.

giveballaghback

The big thing about yesterday is we dug deep and got a win in a game we would have lost not that long ago, we did not play well or maybe we played as well as meath let us but whichever real grit was shown coming down the straight, more learned yesterday than in any other game in this league, we also hit the post twice and at other times our heads might have dropped but attitudes are changing and this team is building real character, Meath got some very handy frees at the end and it took them back into the game, their last 5 pts were from frees but O Dowd is not crying about that, Eugene McGee has always been a friend of Roscommon, he has defended us many times when others were taking cheap shots at us and has always given us our due, his article today was just an observation on what he saw yesterday and in truth was fair and accurate, it was not inspiring stuff, whoever does go up will need to improve out of sight to survive and imo the Rossies have improvement in them and would survive there, think of the alternative next year, div2 2016, Armagh, Fermanagh, Derry,Donegal or Tyrone, Cavan and whoever else survives the drop, sobering thoughts lads.

Syferus

Ah cmon Shrewness - we're wide open? Only someone who didn't see us in the last two games or indeed last year or in years previous. We regularly had Senan deeper than the HB line - we were in no way naive in how we set up. How we execute that set-up can be critiqued but the idea we aren't doing exactly what he's bemoaning is pretty wrong. We are plenty cynical but we're only learning the ropes - we're where a good young team with our age profile should be in terms of their development.

I can see him hammering this point home in every article he talks about us in from now on, just like he plies myths about Galway and Mayo too. I'd rather draw the line right now rather than entertaining that sort of stuff.

Rossfan

Syfín,
please go away for a week and give us all a bit of peace. :-[ :-[
You were rubbising McGee on stolensheep too till a few of the sensible posters put you in your box. Now you're at it here.
We lost our way in the 10/15 minutes before h/t yesterday, how many did we hit into O'Rourke's hands( he retiurned the complement later ;D) while we failed to score in the last 10 minutes. I'd hope that next year we'd be piling on a few more scores in the home straight.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Syferus

Quote from: Rossfan on March 23, 2015, 07:31:41 PM
Syfín,
You were rubbising McGee on stolensheep too till a few of the sensible posters put you in your box. Now you're at it here.
We lost our way in the 10/15 minutes before h/t yesterday, how many did we hit into O'Rourke's hands( he retiurned the complement later ;D) while we failed to score in the last 10 minutes. I'd hope that next year we'd be piling on a few more scores in the home straight.

I'll open it up so - what do the other lads here think of McGee? I don't recall much love for him.

As a pundit he's pretty fecking poor and I'm certainly not backing away from that.

Shrewdness

Syferus, in what way does what you wrote relate to what i wrote?

Syferus

Quote from: Shrewdness on March 23, 2015, 07:47:35 PM
Syferus, in what way does what you wrote relate to what i wrote?

You humoured what were at best criticisms borne out of no context or in-depth analysis of either yesterday or the preceding days. I expect better than that from published columnists.

Shrewdness

Where did i do that? Before 5 mins ago, i hadn't even posted on this thread today as far as i know??

gibbs32

Rossie is my love. Dont need to justify my roscomminism bully boys. My predictions have been correct so far not like pesimistic posters apparantly have birth certs to be sure we r rossies.

Old yeller

Quote from: giveballaghback on March 23, 2015, 08:59:21 AM
larryin89 to answer your question what if the ros bandwagon blows up well heres the thing, this team is a work in progress and those people who know ros football are aware that there are several more young players about to make the big breaktru in the neat couple of seasons, these are players of the highest quality and yes some of them might not make it for one reason or another but we have a deep pool of young talent and more will come to replace them, I was in croke park in 2002 when that great Tyrone team then in its infancy got completely hockeyed by Sligo in a qualifier , looked all over the place and we all know what happened after that, now im not saying ros will have that level of success but we will reach the top level, we will survive at the top level and if our cb continue to develop our young players then we will stay at the top table and if you are there you have a chance, that said for the forst time in years our minors seem to be weak, havent got to see them yet but will go to kiltoom tomorrow night. Onwards and upwards COME ON THE ROSSIES.
Your mad in the head!

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Syferus on March 23, 2015, 07:41:06 PM
Syfín,

I'll open it up so - what do the other lads here think of McGee? I don't recall much love for him.

As a pundit he's pretty fecking poor and I'm certainly not backing away from that.
Put it this way, I'd find it hard to choose between him and Martin Breheny if I had to name my least favourite sports journo.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Lar Naparka on March 24, 2015, 08:40:33 PM
Syfín,

Put it this way, I'd find it hard to choose between him and Martin Breheny if I had to name my least favourite sports journo.
I agree with this too, however he called it right (to me) after the Dublin game. Some Mayo people got annoyed. I have to say I dislike Breheny's approach more than McGee's though.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Farrandeelin on March 24, 2015, 08:54:28 PM
Quote from: Lar Naparka on March 24, 2015, 08:40:33 PM
Syfín,

I agree with this too, however he called it right (to me) after the Dublin game. Some Mayo people got annoyed. I have to say I dislike Breheny's approach more than McGee's though.

Read Breheny and then McGee's post match analysis of Mayo/Kerry replay last year! McGee hasn't a clue.

maigheo

Mcgee is a very poor analyst and is living off of Offalys 1882 victory.Most of his colums are the same with just the names changing.I am pretty sure he goes to the games and sits down in the press box drinking a cup of tea and reading a news paper while the game is going on .Stopped reading him along time ago and I would love to know what info he has got on the sports editor in the Sindo as there is no way they would be still paying him  to write the sh-t  he writes.