Mayo v Monaghan 1-3-15

Started by Farrandeelin, February 22, 2015, 04:02:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

larryin89

What people see at games is beyond me it's like the gold and white dress doin the rounds, how anyone can even attempt to justify that mental aggression by Monaghan is just stupid. Fookin animals of Ulster basterised our game.

Fair play to our bucks, held their heads and won the game handsomely albeit some bad shooting again.

AOS at ff , anyone want to remind me again how it would never work? He will cause havoc against certain teams in that position , likes of the fancy dans on the hard ground in June would be bet out the gate. Please persist with this at least as an option pateen .
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

moysider

A played on the point of a 2 man ff line today and yeah it was a success.

Monaghan were not as defensive as Tyrone so Mayo were able to exploit space inside from the start. In these circumstances Aidan thrived and is an option going forward as the primary target man.

One of the few negatives today was the butchering of several early opportunities to put daylight between the teams. Poor decision making - like trying to work a goal shooting opportunity when they weren t on, or executing them poorly - cost us a few early points. Monaghan managed to lead early on even though they were living on crumbs. We need to get more efficient when opportunities present themselves.

Personally I was delighted to see us being more defensive and playing our own version of a blanket. Not surprisingly Doc played a deeper role so we only had 3 forwards in reality with the whole hf line dropping off. The younger O Connor played this game very well and should develop into a terrific player. We were more defensive than Monaghan today and between this and the O Shea move there's hope for Pateen yet.

Some of our established players look a bit of the pace yet and I thought a couple of the subs did too. Cunniffe looked up to speed though and Ronaldon was very clever. Vaughan was playing well and must have picked up an injury. Boyle put in a good shift in the second half.

Main Street

Rory Beggan broke some ice and pointed his first of the year, a long range free against the wind, that has to be a good omen.

Syferus

It's all well and good having a good personal day but to be a proper FF you need to play others into the game. Nothing I've seen from AOS in his entire career suggests his hands, feet and vision are of the level nessecary to do that against top teams in the enclosed, outnumbered spaces FFs operate in in an era where at least one if not two of the FF are regularly not even in the attacking half of the field.

Might still be the best FF option Mayo have but I'd be happy to see him twiddling his thumbs beside a goalkeeper for most of the match. He's the best attacking midfielder in the country on his day. You'd want him to be involved in the play as much as possible to get the most out of him.

imtommygunn

What was that monaghan number 4 at?? Could have wrecked your man.

twohands!!!

Jeez what was Wylie at with that sending off - mental stuff.

tyroneboi

Quote from: imtommygunn on March 01, 2015, 07:45:55 PM
What was that monaghan number 4 at?? Could have wrecked your man.

Ah sure it was only a push!

What an idiot for doing that. What was the point? As well as being extremely dangerous!

Tubberman

Jesus, only saw the league Sunday coverage now. Monaghan were out of control, acting like a gang of thugs. They got their arses handed to them on the scoreboard anyway!
From the highlights it looked like Diarmuid O'Connor was involved in most of Mayo's good play which was great to see.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Farrandeelin

I had my reservations for about 2 or 3 minutes on AOS in the full-forward position, but today it worked a treat. I'm sure Syferus would indeed love to see him in twiddling his thumbs beside the keeper, but I don't think any manager would be so stupid to leave him there if we were getting beat sick out the field. A reasonably good performance against a poor, indisciplined Monaghan team. I don't know what the first Monaghan player was sent off for, and didn't see the league Sunday highlights either. But I felt Monaghan lost all sense of self-control after that anyway.

Keane had a good game I thought, he was marking a good player as well though. Agree with moy re Vaughan today in the middle, I thought he was doing well, and he chipped in with a nice point. It was a shame SOS got a black card, for which to my eyes wasn't a black card at all as he wasn't near the Monaghan man who went down that time. However, he got it and he saved (DOC's I think) bacon with it. Glad too Freeman showed well and scored 1-1, despite me giving out about him after the last game v Tyrone.

One thing I am getting increasingly sick of though is this 'one in all in' approach. Every game there seems to be a few of these sort of rows going on.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

moysider

I d suspect a lot of counties believe that Mayo can be softened up hence this type of approach.
It could have been worse for Mon. on scoreboard and player nos. I was surprised how bad tempered they were from the start.
Anyway its 2 points and another win should be enough to stay in Div1. The good score probably as good as another point.

imtommygunn

Quote from: Farrandeelin on March 01, 2015, 08:27:58 PM
I had my reservations for about 2 or 3 minutes on AOS in the full-forward position, but today it worked a treat. I'm sure Syferus would indeed love to see him in twiddling his thumbs beside the keeper, but I don't think any manager would be so stupid to leave him there if we were getting beat sick out the field. A reasonably good performance against a poor, indisciplined Monaghan team. I don't know what the first Monaghan player was sent off for, and didn't see the league Sunday highlights either. But I felt Monaghan lost all sense of self-control after that anyway.

Keane had a good game I thought, he was marking a good player as well though. Agree with moy re Vaughan today in the middle, I thought he was doing well, and he chipped in with a nice point. It was a shame SOS got a black card, for which to my eyes wasn't a black card at all as he wasn't near the Monaghan man who went down that time. However, he got it and he saved (DOC's I think) bacon with it. Glad too Freeman showed well and scored 1-1, despite me giving out about him after the last game v Tyrone.

One thing I am getting increasingly sick of though is this 'one in all in' approach. Every game there seems to be a few of these sort of rows going on.

Gollogoly belted the guy in the stomach. Very obvious flailing arm punch.

Still don't think monaghan are a poor team but those were two poor sendings off and they'll be no threat to anyone unless that carry on is sorted out.

Farrandeelin

Fair enough, I was down at the far 45 and didn't see it happen, I didn't see the belt to the stomach.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

imtommygunn

It was caught on camera and the linesman saw it too.

Main Street

For an inbred bunch of sheep shaggers, you do like to put on innocent airs.
Gollogly momentarily forgot that you can only give a player a belt when he has the ball in his possession.
Ryan Wylie's indiscretion was another matter, fortunately the Mayo lad didn't look too damaged, a soft landing perhaps, he took advantage of the rebound to regain his momentum and get back on his feet, barely missing a beat.

moysider

Quote from: Main Street on March 01, 2015, 09:57:59 PM
For an inbred bunch of sheep shaggers, you do like to put on innocent airs.
Gollogly momentarily forgot that you can only give a player a belt when he has the ball in his possession.
Ryan Wylie's indiscretion was another matter, fortunately the Mayo lad didn't look too damaged, a soft landing perhaps, he took advantage of the rebound to regain his momentum and get back on his feet, barely missing a beat.

Hmmmm. If your's and Babarino's attitude are typical of people from your county, it's no surprise that the Monaghan come to town with the approach they did.