The Connaught Thread

Started by Croí na hÉireann, February 17, 2015, 10:28:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lar Naparka

I have no inattention of fighting with any Rossie on this board, or anywhere else for that matter. With the exception of the pair of laitchekoes who have popped up lately, I think all of them are fairly sound individuals.
Any slagging I have done has been to counter the "mayowestros" and "rhubarb" taunts and so on.
Not that I give a damn about those either.  Derisive banter in other words.
I can't and never did see  any reason to blame Mayo for Ballagh refusing to budge.

Anything else is fair game I guess. However,  if I was a genuine Rossie supporter, I certainly would not want to broadcast the fact that some of my fellow county men refuse to play for their own county and remain loyal  the  same one their great great grandfathers played for.
I've no doubt about something else. I'd not rest until I found out the reason for the stand-off and that's for sure.
However, as I'm not a Rossie, I wouldn't and don't lose any sleep over it. I'd love to know the real reason but it's not top of my priority list.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Rossfan

Quote from: Lar Naparka on February 26, 2015, 11:50:36 AM
. However,  if I was a genuine Rossie supporter, I certainly would not want to broadcast the fact that some of my fellow county men refuse to play for their own county
We can't be held responsible for the less intelligent among our residents.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

weareros

Quote from: muppet on February 26, 2015, 11:13:38 AM
Quote from: weareros on February 26, 2015, 01:33:57 AM
Quote from: muppet on February 25, 2015, 11:21:13 PM
Quote from: ross4life on February 25, 2015, 11:13:55 PM
Quote from: muppet on February 25, 2015, 10:59:26 PM

The grins are for your usual paranoia. You blamed Mayo and Galway for some imaginary skullduggery when the reality is the skullduggery was elsewhere and benefited Roscommon.

'Sligo will always go for the logical vote'.

They did. But something happened their delegate and he voted against the wishes of his CB. That is what I would like to have seen investigated, thoroughly.
Why having a touch of the paranoia yourself? & to repeat why would Galway vote to give their near and dearest rivals home advantage for all Connacht finals.

Why don't you ask the Galway CB at the time? They were asked to vote and that is how they voted.

Well looks like a decision may have to be made again on developing a designated provincial ground. Will there be a democratic vote in Connacht? Will Connacht honour the vote like they did when Connacht (Mayo, Galway and Leitrim) voted NOT to allow Ballagh have a second club to play in Roscommon, or will they NOT HONOUR the democratic vote when Connacht (Ros, Sligo and Leitrim) voted to make Hyde Park the designated provincial ground. My vote is that democracy will not prevail if Mayo and Galway do not like the decision. Despite the huge population advantages they already enjoy over Sligo, Ros and Leitrim, it will be not an inch if the decision goes against them. But I'd say this time there might not even be a "democratic" vote for fear that Sligo and Leitrim will be naughty lads. The mantra will be: GAA HQ if you are taking over the debts, the best way to pay them would be to play all big games in Castlerbar.

The Sligo CB voted for McHale Park. I have already explained that and as I said, given the financial significance of the vote, I would like to see an independent investigation into what happened there.
And can you provide proof they voted for McHale as I have no memory of that. The vote was 3-2 in favour of Hyde. I remember the editorials in The Western blasting the vote. Now we thought Leitrim would side with Ros in the Ballaghaderreen vote for a new club, St Johns to be affiliated with Ros. But after some Mayo influence they sided with Mayo. We accepted the vote because that is democracy even though it sucked for outsiders to deny native Rossies the right to play with Roscommon. Most of the people who would have setup St Johns setup the community park in Ballagh where you can pass by and watch among other things a Ballaghaderreen soccer team representing Roscommon and a Ballaghaderreen cricket team representing Roscommon, who incidentally are Connacht senior Cricket champions. They can play in Ros but Mayo, Galway and Leitrim saw fit to deny the right to Gaelic footballers. Are you calling for an investigation?

Tubberman

Quote from: weareros on February 26, 2015, 12:45:46 PM

The grins are for your usual paranoia. You blamed Mayo and Galway for some imaginary skullduggery when the reality is the skullduggery was elsewhere and benefited Roscommon.

They did. But something happened their delegate and he voted against the wishes of his CB. That is what I would like to have seen investigated, thoroughly.
Why having a touch of the paranoia yourself? & to repeat why would Galway vote to give their near and dearest rivals home advantage for all Connacht finals.

Why don't you ask the Galway CB at the time? They were asked to vote and that is how they voted.

Well looks like a decision may have to be made again on developing a designated provincial ground. Will there be a democratic vote in Connacht? Will Connacht honour the vote like they did when Connacht (Mayo, Galway and Leitrim) voted NOT to allow Ballagh have a second club to play in Roscommon, or will they NOT HONOUR the democratic vote when Connacht (Ros, Sligo and Leitrim) voted to make Hyde Park the designated provincial ground. My vote is that democracy will not prevail if Mayo and Galway do not like the decision. Despite the huge population advantages they already enjoy over Sligo, Ros and Leitrim, it will be not an inch if the decision goes against them. But I'd say this time there might not even be a "democratic" vote for fear that Sligo and Leitrim will be naughty lads. The mantra will be: GAA HQ if you are taking over the debts, the best way to pay them would be to play all big games in Castlerbar.

The Sligo CB voted for McHale Park. I have already explained that and as I said, given the financial significance of the vote, I would like to see an independent investigation into what happened there.
And can you provide proof they voted for McHale as I have no memory of that. The vote was 3-2 in favour of Hyde. I remember the editorials in The Western blasting the vote. Now we thought Leitrim would side with Ros in the Ballaghaderreen vote for a new club, St Johns to be affiliated with Ros. But after some Mayo influence they sided with Mayo. We accepted the vote because that is democracy even though it sucked for outsiders to deny native Rossies the right to play with Roscommon. Most of the people who would have setup St Johns setup the community park in Ballagh where you can pass by and watch among other things a Ballaghaderreen soccer team representing Roscommon and a Ballaghaderreen cricket team representing Roscommon, who incidentally are Connacht senior Cricket champions. They can play in Ros but Mayo, Galway and Leitrim saw fit to deny the right to Gaelic footballers. Are you calling for an investigation?

And Glen Celtic from Glenamaddy, Co. Galway play in the Roscommon League. I wouldn't be using soccer boundaries as your argument.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Rossfan on February 26, 2015, 12:01:24 PM
. However,  if I was a genuine Rossie supporter, I certainly would not want to broadcast the fact that some of my fellow county men refuse to play for their own county
What's this with the "we" brother? ;D
Who is the genius that usually starts the rhubarbing and mayowestroing and all that crap and then slinks off to let others take the return fire?
Whoever he is, he's about as stable as a baby's backside.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

weareros

Tubberman, that's *their* choice. With the new club in Ballagh, Mayo, Galway and Leitrim made the choice for us. You do see the difference, right?

Tubberman

Quote from: weareros on February 26, 2015, 01:34:39 PM
Tubberman, that's *their* choice. With the new club in Ballagh, Mayo, Galway and Leitrim made the choice for us. You do see the difference, right?

That's democracy, baby!
Ah no, I wouldn't have a problem with a Roscommon-affiliated club in Ballagh if there was demand for it. But if there was demand for it, surely it wouldn't have died a death with that one attempt?

"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Rossfan

Quote from: Lar Naparka on February 26, 2015, 01:29:18 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on February 26, 2015, 12:01:24 PM
What's this with the "we" brother? ;D "WE" are the intelligent Rosfolk who support our own CountyWho is the genius that usually starts the rhubarbing and mayowestroing and all that crap and then slinks off to let others take the return fire? Rhubarbs is a nickname used by many for the team who are picked from the GAA fraternity of Co Mayo plus Ballaghadereen
Whoever he is, he's about as stable as a baby's backside. I'll bow to your superior knowledge of that subject
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

giveballaghback

Keep at it lads, ye are going great and listen to lar naparka, he is a teacher you know but geography was never his strong suit, Ill look in on ye later, keep it up, go on ya boyya.

Owenmoresider

Quote from: Tubberman on February 26, 2015, 01:26:05 PM

And Glen Celtic from Glenamaddy, Co. Galway play in the Roscommon League. I wouldn't be using soccer boundaries as your argument.
Indeed, sure Boyle Celtic play in the Sligo Leitrim league.

muppet

Read the post. I was talking about the vote for the Connacht Provincial ground. You seem to be talking about the vote for a second club in Ballaghderreen. I don't know anything about that other than it probably happened decades ago.

I know about the Provincial ground vote because a man I know, who by coincidence has the same name as the delegate who didn't vote as instructed by the Sligo CB, received abusive phone calls over it. Typically the imbeciles (I believe they were from Mayo) were not only phoning the wrong man, but they were phoning a Mayo man.
MWWSI 2017

Eamonnca1

Point of order. Can we fix the spelling on the thread title?

Captain Obvious

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on February 28, 2015, 03:17:18 AM
Point of order. Can we fix the spelling on the thread title?
Deliberate misspelling i think.

Mike Sheehy

Quote from: seafoid on March 02, 2015, 09:59:57 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WQ2CUpKgR0

At 5:37

Ah cmon now Seafoid. Surely this calls for some cynical statement about English/Aussie/Kiwi mercenaries and a link to a FT article about the greed of professional sport ?

or does the sneering only get suspended for your own crowd ?