The Connaught Thread

Started by Croí na hÉireann, February 17, 2015, 10:28:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syferus

Quote from: Farrandeelin on February 25, 2015, 10:08:32 PM
Quote from: Shrewdness on February 25, 2015, 09:57:00 PM
Lar, i'll give you an example of the bitterness that exists. I know this is true because i saw it myself. In the week of the 2006 All Ireland Finals, a certain Mayo supporting business put up the Mayo and Roscommon flags as our minors were playing. Mayo got hammered, our minors gallantly drew with Kerry. On the Tuesday, BOTH flags were taken down, even though our minors still had a replay. The Ros flag never went up for the replay..Bitterness and resentment kicked in. I'd love to name the business, but won't.

To be fair, that is poor form from the business' point of view. I'd say 99% of Mayo people wanted ye to win that replay, I know I certainly did anyway, and I was even cheering ye on in the drawn final too. It's a pity that people can be so narrow minded, especially when young gasúrs couldn't be supported.

This wasn't SuperValu/Londis (back then) was it Shrewdness? He owns the units beside Dillion House too and puts Ros and Mayo flags on the roof each year. I know for a fact that the owner is no where near small-minded enough to do something like that on purpose.

Shrewdness

Takes more than a flag to offend me Muppet.

ballinaman

Quote from: Shrewdness on February 25, 2015, 10:17:17 PM
Takes more than a flag to offend me Muppet.
Should it not be fleg going by the huff ye got in over it? Get a grip

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Shrewdness on February 25, 2015, 09:57:00 PM
Lar, i'll give you an example of the bitterness that exists. I know this is true because i saw it myself. In the week of the 2006 All Ireland Finals, a certain Mayo supporting business put up the Mayo and Roscommon flags as our minors were playing. Mayo got hammered, our minors gallantly drew with Kerry. On the Tuesday, BOTH flags were taken down, even though our minors still had a replay. The Ros flag never went up for the replay..Bitterness and resentment kicked in. I'd love to name the business, but won't.

To be fair, that is poor form from the business' point of view. I'd say 99% of Mayo people wanted ye to win that replay, I know I certainly did anyway, and I was even cheering ye on in the drawn final too. It's a pity that people can be so narrow minded, especially when young gasúrs couldn't be supported.
Pretty cat behaviour alright but to every action there's an equal and opposite reaction as was drummed into me back during my time in Nathy's  College Gulag.
There's bitterness there okay on the Mayo side but still dunno what's causing it. I mean the club was founded in 1885 and the land transfer took place in 1899 so there was no time to build up a track record in Mayo before being shunted into Roscommon.
From what I've been told the aggro has been going on since then. Nobody knows why or at least nobody will spill the beans.
Bejaysus, cracking the Third Secret of Fatima would be kids' play compared to finding out what really  happened in Ballagh so long ago.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

ross4life

Quote from: muppet on February 25, 2015, 03:04:28 PM

;D ;D ;D ;D

That is an interesting twist to that particular story.

3 of the 5 Connacht CBs decided it would be Castlebar: Galway, Mayo and Sligo. The Sligo delegate at the meeting then bizarrely voted for Roscommon, against his mandate from the Sligo CB. Seeing as one or other of Galway and Mayo appear in the vast majority of Connacht Finals they gave that 'vote' the two fingers and maintained their home and away arrangement, thus scuppering The Hyde's miraculous elevation to Provincial Ground status.

I would like to have seen an independent investigation into that 'vote'.

Not sure what all the grins are for? as i said ye and Galway had other ideas. Sligo will always go for the logical vote. If i were to investigation a vote it would be Galway as why would they give their near and dearest rivals home advantage for all Connacht finals.

Very poor form indeed. I'll always remember the night after the 2006 All Ireland final Mayo men and women coming up to me in Quinns,Flannerys,Coppers & wishing our minors all the best in the replay so some decent Mayo supporters also.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

muppet

Quote from: ross4life on February 25, 2015, 10:52:56 PM
Quote from: muppet on February 25, 2015, 03:04:28 PM

;D ;D ;D ;D

That is an interesting twist to that particular story.

3 of the 5 Connacht CBs decided it would be Castlebar: Galway, Mayo and Sligo. The Sligo delegate at the meeting then bizarrely voted for Roscommon, against his mandate from the Sligo CB. Seeing as one or other of Galway and Mayo appear in the vast majority of Connacht Finals they gave that 'vote' the two fingers and maintained their home and away arrangement, thus scuppering The Hyde's miraculous elevation to Provincial Ground status.

I would like to have seen an independent investigation into that 'vote'.

Not sure what all the grins are for? as i said ye and Galway had other ideas. Sligo will always go for the logical vote. If i were to investigation a vote it would be Galway as why would they give their near and dearest rivals home advantage for all Connacht finals.

Very poor form indeed. I'll always remember the night after the 2006 All Ireland final Mayo men and women coming up to me in Quinns,Flannerys,Coppers & wishing our minors all the best in the replay so some decent Mayo supporters also.

The grins are for your usual paranoia. You blamed Mayo and Galway for some imaginary skullduggery when the reality is the skullduggery was elsewhere and benefited Roscommon.

'Sligo will always go for the logical vote'.

They did. But something happened their delegate and he voted against the wishes of his CB. That is what I would like to have seen investigated, thoroughly.
MWWSI 2017

Farrandeelin

Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

larryin89

Don't know what business that is that took down the Rossie flag in town but as Syf has pointed it out it most certainly was not londis/ super valu .

i have seen Mayo flags burnt in the town though.

Also is it possible for the admin of this site to prove I have only one account , the Rossie buck that keeps accusing me of having different accounts is doin my nut in . Why you keep hinting that you know im from Kilmovee is anther thing I can't fathom,if you know me you'll know I'm not shy and I have no problem in discussing any issue you may have with me face to face.
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

ross4life

Quote from: muppet on February 25, 2015, 10:59:26 PM

The grins are for your usual paranoia. You blamed Mayo and Galway for some imaginary skullduggery when the reality is the skullduggery was elsewhere and benefited Roscommon.

They did. But something happened their delegate and he voted against the wishes of his CB. That is what I would like to have seen investigated, thoroughly.
Why having a touch of the paranoia yourself? & to repeat why would Galway vote to give their near and dearest rivals home advantage for all Connacht finals.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

muppet

Quote from: ross4life on February 25, 2015, 11:13:55 PM

Why having a touch of the paranoia yourself? & to repeat why would Galway vote to give their near and dearest rivals home advantage for all Connacht finals.

Why don't you ask the Galway CB at the time? They were asked to vote and that is how they voted.
MWWSI 2017

Shrewdness

Syferus and larryin89, ye are both correct in saying that the business ye referred to wasn't the business in question.. This ends the Ballagh debate for me. Wouldn't take one of their senior panel for Ros anyway.

weareros

My final word on this too. It was the alickadoos that caused all the bitterness.

weareros

Quote from: muppet on February 25, 2015, 11:21:13 PM

Why don't you ask the Galway CB at the time? They were asked to vote and that is how they voted.

Well looks like a decision may have to be made again on developing a designated provincial ground. Will there be a democratic vote in Connacht? Will Connacht honour the vote like they did when Connacht (Mayo, Galway and Leitrim) voted NOT to allow Ballagh have a second club to play in Roscommon, or will they NOT HONOUR the democratic vote when Connacht (Ros, Sligo and Leitrim) voted to make Hyde Park the designated provincial ground. My vote is that democracy will not prevail if Mayo and Galway do not like the decision. Despite the huge population advantages they already enjoy over Sligo, Ros and Leitrim, it will be not an inch if the decision goes against them. But I'd say this time there might not even be a "democratic" vote for fear that Sligo and Leitrim will be naughty lads. The mantra will be: GAA HQ if you are taking over the debts, the best way to pay them would be to play all big games in Castlerbar.

larryin89

That's sound shrewdness, no more on Ballagh from me.

If there is going to be a "clones" in Connacht of course Mayo will do everything in their power to get Castlebar to be the venue and no matter how transparent the process the other counties will find fault and conspiracy theories will be thrown about. The way the hyde is at present Ye haven't a leg to stand on though .
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

muppet

Quote from: weareros on February 26, 2015, 01:33:57 AM
Quote from: muppet on February 25, 2015, 11:21:13 PM

Well looks like a decision may have to be made again on developing a designated provincial ground. Will there be a democratic vote in Connacht? Will Connacht honour the vote like they did when Connacht (Mayo, Galway and Leitrim) voted NOT to allow Ballagh have a second club to play in Roscommon, or will they NOT HONOUR the democratic vote when Connacht (Ros, Sligo and Leitrim) voted to make Hyde Park the designated provincial ground. My vote is that democracy will not prevail if Mayo and Galway do not like the decision. Despite the huge population advantages they already enjoy over Sligo, Ros and Leitrim, it will be not an inch if the decision goes against them. But I'd say this time there might not even be a "democratic" vote for fear that Sligo and Leitrim will be naughty lads. The mantra will be: GAA HQ if you are taking over the debts, the best way to pay them would be to play all big games in Castlerbar.

The Sligo CB voted for McHale Park. I have already explained that and as I said, given the financial significance of the vote, I would like to see an independent investigation into what happened there.
MWWSI 2017