All Ireland u21 football championship 2015

Started by giveballaghback, February 16, 2015, 09:57:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ONeill

And by the way 'it's a long way to Tipperary' is about a whore house in London. It's no wonder yiz took the sign down.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

SkillfulBill

Quote from: ONeill on May 05, 2015, 01:14:39 AM
And by the way 'it's a long way to Tipperary' is about a whore house in London. It's no wonder yiz took the sign down.

Holy fff... just woke the family up roaring my head off..

sligoman

Quote from: giveballaghback on May 05, 2015, 01:12:52 AM
Sligoman you are right, all them wrongs you have seen being done to poor sligo and then you could not see one unsavoury incident in the Ros[tyrone game, well good man and fair play to ya, you call things as you see them, no bias or anything like that there, you should start writing match reports, I for one would love to read them.

No bias, I'm the one calling out some truths on the matter.

How about you deal with the issues I put forward because it seem you don't want your own county to adhere to the high standards of sportmanship you expect of opposition teams. I'm only bringing this issue forward as a point of balance. You are getting your knickers in a twist about the way you were beaten but you don't seem to have any comment on the gamesmanship and thuggery Roscommon players and teams have carried out in the recent past.

You're no strangers to dishing the dirt out so it's a bit hard to take when ye get indignant about being on the purported receiving end of it.

weareros

Quote from: sligoman on May 05, 2015, 12:56:33 AM
Sligo have played Derry, Down, Donegal, Armagh and Tyrone in the past 15 years of Championship football and have met all Ulster sides in the league. I can't think of any time there were really unsavoury incidents. We've had players like O'Hara who got involved in a lot of incidents and it's perfectly understandable how he would not be looked upon favourably in other counties but at least he did play ball as well for the most part. Seamie O'Neill would generally just run around the pitch after him trying to take his head off when Sligo played Roscommon.

Ah now O'Hara committed the biggest act of thuggery in the 2004 match at the Hyde with the punch to David Casey's crown jewels. He was landed with a good fair bone crunching shoulder by John Whyte after that that soon softened his cough and he got another good shoulder from Whyte in the replay for good measure. Ye were beaten fair and square. All those Roscommon players you mentioned were great players and so was O'Hara. You must not have seen much of Seami O'Neill because in his day he was one of the best fielders and long range point kickers in the game.  And as I've said Tyrone beat us fair and square and they were the best U21 team this year. They should be allowed enjoy their victory without all this bitterness and us Connacht lads should take our silly auld bun fights to the Connacht thread. By the way, after the 1980 All-Ireland, the press labelled Roscommon the dirtiest team to every play in an All-Ireland. That was a team that contained Dermot Earley, Tony McManus, Jigger O'Connor - the list is endless of great, skillful players that played beautiful football all year. The dour game, the "foul ridden shambles" as one paper called it was all blamed on the Rossies. Of course it's now known that Pateen Spllane was rolling on the ground looking for his lost contact lense and the ref still gave him a free. Everything is not always as it seems.

omaghjoe

Quote from: weareros on May 05, 2015, 02:32:25 AM
Sligo have played Derry, Down, Donegal, Armagh and Tyrone in the past 15 years of Championship football and have met all Ulster sides in the league. I can't think of any time there were really unsavoury incidents. We've had players like O'Hara who got involved in a lot of incidents and it's perfectly understandable how he would not be looked upon favourably in other counties but at least he did play ball as well for the most part. Seamie O'Neill would generally just run around the pitch after him trying to take his head off when Sligo played Roscommon.

Ah now O'Hara committed the biggest act of thuggery in the 2004 match at the Hyde with the punch to David Casey's crown jewels. He was landed with a good fair bone crunching shoulder by John Whyte after that that soon softened his cough and he got another good shoulder from Whyte in the replay for good measure. Ye were beaten fair and square. All those Roscommon players you mentioned were great players and so was O'Hara. You must not have seen much of Seami O'Neill because in his day he was one of the best fielders and long range point kickers in the game.  And as I've said Tyrone beat us fair and square and they were the best U21 team this year. They should be allowed enjoy their victory without all this bitterness and us Connacht lads should take our silly auld bun fights to the Connacht thread. By the way, after the 1980 All-Ireland, the press labelled Roscommon the dirtiest team to every play in an All-Ireland. That was a team that contained Dermot Earley, Tony McManus, Jigger O'Connor - the list is endless of great, skillful players that played beautiful football all year. The dour game, the "foul ridden shambles" as one paper called it was all blamed on the Rossies. Of course it's now known that Pateen Spllane was rolling on the ground looking for his lost contact lense and the ref still gave him a free. Everything is not always as it seems.

Early musta been fair able to dish it out to all the same, I mean is there a great midfielder that wasn't I don't know one
Tohill
O'Se
McDermott
Walsh
McGrane
All total hallions but great footballers, its the nature of the position. Any skills you have will be completely nullified unless your completely ruthless. 

omaghjoe

Quote from: Syferus on May 05, 2015, 01:02:33 AM
I've heard it all. We Tyroned the 2010 Connacht final. Sweet lord has this thread fully descended into farce now when you have Sligo lads attacking Roscommon lads about a five year-old senior provincial final on an U21 championship thread.

Tyrone were the best U21 team in Ireland this year. They didn't need to commit so many totally pointlessly dirty acts on the way there, they could have let their talent do the talking. The fact they didn't didn't was depressing to watch at the time and for the sport in general. Sin é.

If you had done that you woulda won with style and panache however your Sligo friends beg to differ

The Subbie

Late in on this one but Tipp displayed a total lack of class in not allowing Logan into the dressing room afterwards,if they weren't good enough on the pitch they should have made it their business to be good enough afterwards.

I daresay if the result went the other way the Tyrone  team and management would have acted graciously.

Delighted for Tyrone on multiple levels particularly the fact that so many Tipp Co board blazers seem to be rightly pissed off, always good to see a disgruntled blazer.

theticklemister

Quote from: omaghjoe on May 05, 2015, 03:00:59 AM
Quote from: weareros on May 05, 2015, 02:32:25 AM

Ah, old PJ McGrane.............. What a player.

Early musta been fair able to dish it out to all the same, I mean is there a great midfielder that wasn't I don't know one
Tohill
O'Se
McDermott
Walsh
McGrane
All total hallions but great footballers, its the nature of the position. Any skills you have will be completely nullified unless your completely ruthless.

Farrandeelin

;D Good man sligoman. It might take their mind off everything 'rhubarb' for a few days.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Fuzzman

I've a feeling a lot of office time today could be wasted on here around the country.
This thread is only getting started and sadly most of it is no longer about the game itself but for most its about how they perceive Ulster football.
I've asked several times now can those calling us cynical in this game to list out the actual offences they have seen but so far I'm still waiting.

How many of ye have watched the match a second time and slowed down incidents?
I've watched the late sending off about 10 times and still can't see what it was for. It looks like Cassidy raised his two hands and pushed the forward back after he fouled the keeper. The Tipp forward then throws a punch at Cassidy yet the umpire must not have saw that.

I've watched some horrible cynical matches over the years including Dublin, Kerry, Derry and of course Armsgh who with McGeeney at the helm again is basing his whole game plan around it, but that game on Sat was far from being a cynical dirty game.
I think a lot of neutrals wanted Tipp to win and so are rowing in behind them in the pain with their defeat.
I nearly wish it was a replay now so we had another chance to play on a dry day.

BennyHarp

Fuzz, had it went to a replay this board would have exploded. To be fair, the Tipp lads on here aren't too bad, its the usual lunatic fringe that has made this thread so enjoyable. But the Hank Traynor cup starts soon so that should occupy a few of them for a while!
That was never a square ball!!

Jinxy

If you were any use you'd be playing.

Fuzzman

Has Indiana said anything about how the Dublin based media tore strips off the dubs when they had two biting incidents in the one year?
I'm not commenting in the incidents themselves but how it didn't get much airtime on the media as it wasn't on a live TV game.
Can you imagine the same thing happening in Ballybofey in 2 weeks and the excitement of all you totally brainwashed fools on here. Telling your kids to go on their X boxes as you can't wait to hear what Brolly, Spillane and AN.Other puppet tell you again what to think.
Will Brolly have the balls to say
Howl on, howl on lads. The Dubs did the same thing twice a few years back and it was never mentioned.

Joe holds his earpiece as Producer says the word wages Joe, wages.

I think most sensible Tyrone posters on here are not saying we don't ever bend the rules a little the odd time to close out a game but we have become total scapegoats for the direction our games have gone.
Considering we've won nothing for almost 7 years now I think Donegal and Kerry's style of play may have more influence on where our game has gone.

Jinxy

If you were any use you'd be playing.

AZOffaly

Quote from: ONeill on May 04, 2015, 10:54:51 PM
It's the way sensible analysts speak about Tyrone that irks. AZOffaly said "Tyrone dived, for frees, had a few unsavoury incidents" - it's these baseless comments that are annoying.

When did they dive? Any particular moments that stand out?  We all have access to the game so it's easy enough to provide evidence. "a few unsavoury incidents" - any examples? A few?

I watched the game again last night thinking i'd missed something and I could find no examples. The supposed knee incident, if you watch it again, seemed to be an unfortunate consequence of the conditions.

Jaysus this thread has moved on lightning fast. Obviously feelings are running high down here, and the one good thing is the next time they play Tyrone they can't say they are surprised about anything :) I wish they'd stop talking now, and move on. There's a senior championship to be played, the hurling is about to start too, agus beidh lá eile agaibh.

Just to pick up on this post O'Neill, I'm a bit disappointed you didn't quote in context. I believe what I actually said was

Quote"There were a few incidents that were a bit dodgy alright, but when you are playing a tight game between two we'll matched teams in bad conditions, that will always happen. Tyrone dived, for frees, had a few unsavoury incidents and wasted time near the end. How does a goalie get cramp? 😀 Tipperary did exactly the same, apart from the time wasting. In many ways I think that's a mark of the maturity of Tipp football now.

The ref was poor, and I think that certainly added to the diving. He quite clearly decided early on that he wasn't going to ref the conditions. He made up his mind that if you won the ball, or got there first, and then hit the ground it was going to be your free. Both sets of players cottoned on to this quite quickly. "

So, lest there be any confusion about what I said, there were a couple of unsavoury incidents on both sides in my view. The Tipperary Stamp, The Tyrone knee to the head, the Tipperary Punch (which I haven't seen back) and the Tyrone sending off, which I believe was because the Tyrone defender pushed the Tipperary forward into the upright in the goalmouth scramble.

There were a good few dives on both sides in my view. Cathal McShane did the classic loop the arm and drag down on the corner back, and both teams recognised the ref was going to give the benefit to the man in possession given the conditions, and flung themselves to the ground in any sort of contact. Again, both sides. The Tipp wing back did a particularly fine demonstration of this near the end.

I said, and I thought I was clear on this, that Tipperary did EVERYTHING that Tyrone did, apart from the time wasting. And I'm sure they would have done that if the roles were reversed.

I hope that clears up any perception that I think Tyrone were beyond the pale. I don't think I ever said that.