All Ireland u21 football championship 2015

Started by giveballaghback, February 16, 2015, 09:57:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

omagh_gael

Great to be all Ireland champions again, especially at u-21 level. Our performances over the last five years have been extremely disappointing considering the talent we had coming through which makes last night even sweeter.

As a county we needed this as things have become stale over the past few years. Would be great to see some of these lads thrown in to the senior team over the summer to see what they can do.

theskull1

Heard to stomach the myopic prejudiced perspective being spouted by the likes of gbb. As an Antrim man all I seen was an ultra competitive match where both teams played with drive and ambition throughout.
Well done Tyrone. Hard luck Tipp. They'll be ruing missed chances today
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Thewildcat

Quote from: Bensars on May 02, 2015, 11:28:19 PM
Quote from: giveballaghback on May 02, 2015, 11:22:31 PM
Well done Tyrone, they won doing what Tyrone teams have been doing for the past dozen years so the rest of the country cant say we did not know what was coming, Tipp were no angels either but they have a lot to learn if they are going to take Tyrone on at that game, so to give Tyrone their full dues WHAT A GREAT CYNICAL CHEATING DIRTY FOOTBALLING TEAM THEY ARE. These young men are a credit to their families community parish club and county, ye should all be proud of the way ye prepared these young men to represent ye, CONGRATS.

Boo feckin hoo!

Some Roscommon fans still taking the semi very bad.

yes sure they still haven't got over Kerry beating them in the 1980 football final..lol..

Club Rossa

Delighted to see the lads win yesterday.Both sides played their hearts out in terrible conditions and a draw would probably have been a fair enough result but thankfully we came out on the right side of it.

tippabu

Ill probably get slated for this but here goes....Still massively bitter towards Tyrone after that The cynicism, sledging and off the ball stuff was terrible to see. Respect isnt the word id use, think its more acknowledgment though that in a couple of months all will be forgotten, noone will recall some of the stuff it will just read Tyrone 2015 champions on the roll of honour and thats all that counts at the end of the day, Im sure if we won yesterday the same way Id be over the moon and wouldnt care but its just hard to take a defeat like that.

I didnt watch  the game back on telly yet so cant really comment on the major incidents, Stephen O'Briens "stamp" id be very surprised if if was on purpose, really isnt the sort of player he is, The disallowed Tipp goal, from the stand i thought it was a free out all day long just because it was on the keeper but i see quiet a few people saying there was very little wrong with it and in the finally play when tyrone had the free out again i didnt see what happened, what was the tyrone player sent off for and should the free have been taken away from tyrone and the ball thrown up?

We are gone beyond the moral victory in football in Tipp now, especially at underage but immensely proud of that team and what theyve achieved in this years championship. Ultimately we were missing 4 forwards all year who would have been starters, Philip Quirke and Coleman Kennedy would i think alot will be heard of at senior when they eventually come in following injury and studies. A telling stat is and it was very evident yesterday that we had no real inside forward line to speak of and this is where the missing players would have had a massive impact. O'Halloran missed a few frees yesterday that were crucial but for me we wouldnt have beaten Cork without him so I am not going to be slate him over anything.

Finally the two supporters who were taken ill, its good to see the tyrone man was revived but terrible to see the Tipperary supporter has passed away, it really does put everything into perspective, thoughts and prayers with his family. RIP

edit: forgot to mention, Tyrone really did step up the intensity the first 15 mins of the second half and moved the ball really well and got well on top for that period, conditions were terrible so credit both teams for that

rrhf

Quote from: tippabu on May 03, 2015, 11:59:11 AM
Ill probably get slated for this but here goes....Still massively bitter towards Tyrone after that The cynicism, sledging and off the ball stuff was terrible to see. Respect isnt the word id use, think its more acknowledgment though that in a couple of months all will be forgotten, noone will recall some of the stuff it will just read Tyrone 2015 champions on the roll of honour and thats all that counts at the end of the day, Im sure if we won yesterday the same way Id be over the moon and wouldnt care but its just hard to take a defeat like that.

I didnt watch  the game back on telly yet so cant really comment on the major incidents, Stephen O'Briens "stamp" id be very surprised if if was on purpose, really isnt the sort of player he is, The disallowed Tipp goal, from the stand i thought it was a free out all day long just because it was on the keeper but i see quiet a few people saying there was very little wrong with it and in the finally play when tyrone had the free out again i didnt see what happened, what was the tyrone player sent off for and should the free have been taken away from tyrone and the ball thrown up?

We are gone beyond the moral victory in football in Tipp now, especially at underage but immensely proud of that team and what theyve achieved in this years championship. Ultimately we were missing 4 forwards all year who would have been starters, Philip Quirke and Coleman Kennedy would i think alot will be heard of at senior when they eventually come in following injury and studies. A telling stat is and it was very evident yesterday that we had no real inside forward line to speak of and this is where the missing players would have had a massive impact. O'Halloran missed a few frees yesterday that were crucial but for me we wouldnt have beaten Cork without him so I am not going to be slate him over anything.

Finally the two supporters who were taken ill, its good to see the tyrone man was revived but terrible to see the Tipperary supporter has passed away, it really does put everything into perspective, thoughts and prayers with his family. RIP

edit: forgot to mention, Tyrone really did step up the intensity the first 15 mins of the second half and moved the ball really well and got well on top for that period, conditions were terrible so credit both teams for that

I thought tipp were very physical also off the ball and played over the red line manytimes.  The only dive in the game was a tipp lad.But I can tell you now if tyrone had lost we would move on quickly and wouldn't be bitching.  It was a great game between 2 evenly matched teams. Tipp will be sore but they are now at the top table in underage football..  They wouldn't live with kerry cynicism if they struggle with that today.

BennyHarp

Quote from: tippabu on May 03, 2015, 11:59:11 AM

They never are that sort of player when they are from your own county. But as soon as a player from another county does it, they are cynical cheaters etc. You should get used to defending your players actions, every move gets scrutinised as the profile of your county rises. Especially when they progress in the senior ranks like everyone hopes they do. No team is full of lads "who don't do that sort of thing" and Tipp are no different.

It's always interesting how you clearly see the cynical stuff from Tyrone but missed the incident by your own player, I do the same, it's part of the partisan nature of football.

Best of luck for the future, I really hope you progress to shake up the Munster championship. Imagine the shock to the system in Kerry if they had to play two competitive games to get into an AI quarter final.  :D
That was never a square ball!!

Redhand Santa

Some absolute and total anti tyrone bullsh*t written on here by a few posters. If anyone missed it, it rained all day in Dublin yesterday and the game was played on a very soggy pitch. To me it was a very good and entertaining final. Scrappy at times but given it was a final and the conditions anyone who expected anything less is living in dream land.

Were Tyrone a bit cynical in the last few minutes? Yes is probably the answer. The exact same way that any team that are on the verge of winning an All Ireland are. Teams will do anything to get them over the line and that is to be expected. Indiana has a very short memory - he has obviously blocked out the Dublin Mayo All Ireland senior final 2 years ago in which Dublin pulled and dragged their way to the title in the last 25 minutes. But his comments are typical of the average Dublin supporter and media. They came up to Omagh last year and fouled all day long - I remember Heaney drawing attention to the free count (3 or 4 to 1 against Dublin) against them that day and how they were as cyncial a team as there was around.

And for all this talk of negative football Tyrone managed to score more against Tipperary in awful conditions whilst defending hard than the free flowing wonderfully attacking Dublin u21 team did in the semi final in perfect conditions. And they did that cause they have good footballers all over the pitch who can defend and attack. Look at our corner back Cassidys point as an example or the constant forward bursts from McGeary who is a forward in club football. If you look through this years u21 championship Tyrone have average 17 points - not bad over 60 minutes for a defensive team.

This was a really hard though absorbing battle between 2 evenly matched teams who gave everything they had. It was a much better final played in a good atmosphere compared to many others in recent years. For example the Dublin Donegal final was a proper bad final. Or the hammering Galway handed out. Both teams scored some great points. Both were guilty of fouling, a bit of the ball stuff although I thought that was limited enough and a few bad tackles. You have to laugh when a Tyrone player makes a bad challenge on here its labelled as cynical and disgraceful etc. When a Tipperary player deliberately falls and stamps on our star player early on its described as accidental and out of character.

Congratulations to our lads who have had a terrific season and really came from no where at u21 level to land another All Ireland. Its hard not to be proud of their achievments and lets hope their is a bright future ahead. There's 9 or 10 of the team who have potential to go on and play senior football. I hope a few more of them join the seniors now and help give it a lift to. On top of the boys already there McGeary, Meyler and Hampsey in particular could add something straight away. McShane apart from some poor shooting was magnificent last night. He put in some effort and competed really well against a very strong Tipp midfield.

The game could have gone either way and I wish Tipp all the best going forward, some really good players and they're a big strong team. Great to see them competing at the top level underage, hopefully a sign of things to come at senior level.

I'd also like to pass on my condolences to the man who very sadly lost his life last night. Was a shocking sight at the game and puts things into perspective. Thoughts are with the family who are going through an awful time, rip.

tippabu

Did they ever announce an attendance yesterday? or anyone know what it was, by tipp footballing standards that was a very big tipp support and hopefully the public will get more and more behind the footballers

Fear ón Srath Bán

tippabu, you would probably be best to park that bitterness at the gate; whilst understandable in the circumstances, it's uncalled for.

Those Tipp footballers will shake things up at Senior level, not just in Munster, but in the All-Ireland itself, make no mistake.

Sad news about the supporter who passed away, RIP.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Fuzzman

Was reading some of the unbelievable posts last night and I actually stopped after the third page of vitriol and sour grapes from so called neutral counties. Very disappointed with a lot of lads who I understandably would be up for Tipp as everyone loves to see a new team come along and do well but the biased analysis by some posters is a real eye opener to me. We have become used to being dragged through the media mire and no doubt loads of you will say well you bring it on yourselves.

Some decent posts on this page so far and a few more balanced views on the amount of effort, belief, hard work and knowing how to hang in there and win a match that for large portions of the game we looked like we were always chasing Tipp as they would often go 2 points ahead each time we caught up with them.
It was exactly the type of game I expected with a lot at stake and so it was always gonna become a war of attrition. As a few have said when you get to a certain level of football its then about that extra bit which takes you over the line. Years ago we were always the bridesmaids and played great attacking but naive football and never won anything. Meath and a few other teams taught us a few hard lessons and Mickey Harte brought us the belief that we are good enough and showed us how to get over the line. 2008 AI win is a prime example where Kerry probably had a better team than us imho and I really thought we would lose that final but the belief we had built up took us over the line. I don't want to have a go at Mayo but being honest yes you are consistently in the top 3 teams in the country but to me you just never learnt how to get that wee bit extra to take you over the line.

I was behind the goals yesterday and so a lot of the play was down the far end so I didn't get a great view of the game to be honest.
Both teams were taking their turns at being cynical with Tipp understandably targeting McShane for some special attention. I hope to watch it again today and as usual I expect to see a very different game to the one I was at.
My feelings during the match was that we were marginally the better team in the first half but our balls into the forward line and our shooting was terrible.
I think the huge half time delay actually helped us to refocus and almost start a new match. That 3rd quarter we really upped the intensity and should have probably got another goal.

I think young Fox kicked a few bad kickouts and was very lucky not to see red for what he did before the corner back got sent off.
The ref really was a disgrace for both teams and how he got the job for the final is beyond me.
I think Tipp will be a real force at senior now in Munster and hopefully they can make that championship a bit more competitive and not just a free stepping stone to an AI quarterfinal.

Shocked to hear there were two heartaches at the match around half time. Deepest sympathies with the family as I'm sure it was a horrible end to a miserable day all round.
Was very impressed with the Tipp support and was disappointed with the poor Tyrone support. I know I'm more of a county supporter living in Dublin than a club man any more but are we getting complacent now about getting to All Ireland finals and happy to watch them on TV. I felt Tipp fans were much more vocal and lifted their team more although in that crucial 3rd quarter the atmosphere was very lively and the goal really hammered that home.

What did you balanced neutrals think of the ref?
I've got the boxing, Tyrone game, MotD all recorded to watch but can't see me getting time today to watch it.
Go easy on TippAbu lads. In fairness they did put huge effort into yesterday and I can understand when you a trying to win your first AI then you tend to wear the tinted glasses with passions high after the game. We've all been there and personally its not tell afterwards when you calm down and watch the game again than you see things a little differently. Ye will need to get used to more of the "dark arts" if you want to come out of Munster. ;D

AZOffaly

It's hard to be objective when you are disappointed, that's why I didn't post last night. And I'm only a blow in! I think Tippabu's post should be viewed in that context. There were a few incidents that were a bit dodgy alright, but when you are playing a tight game between two we'll matched teams in bad conditions, that will always happen. Tyrone dived, for frees, had a few unsavoury incidents and wasted time near the end. How does a goalie get cramp? 😀 Tipperary did exactly the same, apart from the time wasting. In many ways I think that's a mark of the maturity of Tipp football now.

The ref was poor, and I think that certainly added to the diving. He quite clearly decided early on that he wasn't going to ref the conditions. He made up his mind that if you won the ball, or got there first, and then hit the ground it was going to be your free. Both sets of players cottoned on to this quite quickly.

As regards the rest of the game, he was just poor. For both sides. He certainly didn't ride Tipp. The one and only area where I still feel a bit aggrieved about was the advantage. In the second half, Tipp won another ball in midfield and were driving on. I think it was Colin O'Riordan. He was dragged back around the shoulder, and laid it off to Ian Fahey. He was driving straight at the Tyrone goals, 40 metres out, and the red blew immediately for the free in back where O'Riordan was fouled.

Then about 5 or 10 minutes later, a Tyrone man was fouled in the build up to a shot that went wide. He let the play develop and then after the wide gave the easy free in.

Other than that, I think it's as simple as two evenly matched teams going at it hammer and tongs, and Tyrone coming out on top as a result of a very well worked goal. Fair play to them, they have excellent players. That's the way it goes. Pick yourself up, learn what you can from it, and Tipp will do that, and continue the work on football in the county. Maintaining competitiveness at underage, and bringing it up another level or two in senior is the name of the game. Days like yesterday will help in that mission.

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: AZOffaly on May 03, 2015, 01:18:43 PM
It's hard to be objective when you are disappointed, that's why I didn't post last night. And I'm only a blow in! I think Tippabu's post should be viewed in that context. There were a few incidents that were a bit dodgy alright, but when you are playing a tight game between two we'll matched teams in bad conditions, that will always happen. Tyrone dived, for frees, had a few unsavoury incidents and wasted time near the end. How does a goalie get cramp? 😀 Tipperary did exactly the same, apart from the time wasting. In many ways I think that's a mark of the maturity of Tipp football now.

The ref was poor, and I think that certainly added to the diving. He quite clearly decided early on that he wasn't going to ref the conditions. He made up his mind that if you won the ball, or got there first, and then hit the ground it was going to be your free. Both sets of players cottoned on to this quite quickly.

As regards the rest of the game, he was just poor. For both sides. He certainly didn't ride Tipp. The one and only area where I still feel a bit aggrieved about was the advantage. In the second half, Tipp won another ball in midfield and were driving on. I think it was Colin O'Riordan. He was dragged back around the shoulder, and laid it off to Ian Fahey. He was driving straight at the Tyrone goals, 40 metres out, and the red blew immediately for the free in back where O'Riordan was fouled.

Then about 5 or 10 minutes later, a Tyrone man was fouled in the build up to a shot that went wide. He let the play develop and then after the wide gave the easy free in.

Other than that, I think it's as simple as two evenly matched teams going at it hammer and tongs, and Tyrone coming out on top as a result of a very well worked goal. Fair play to them, they have excellent players. That's the way it goes. Pick yourself up, learn what you can from it, and Tipp will do that, and continue the work on football in the county. Maintaining competitiveness at underage, and bringing it up another level or two in senior is the name of the game. Days like yesterday will help in that mission.

A good balanced post.
Regarding the diving, I think alot of boys went to ground due to the realy poor conditions and the referee interpreted these as fouls.alot of them weren't frees but I don't think they were all 'dives' either.
Saying that,as in any game there were a few from both sides.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

Jinxy

Tipp county board man going mad at Kevin McStay on radio 1.  ;D
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Club Rossa