Dangers of social media - great read

Started by Bingo, February 13, 2015, 01:34:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bingo

seafoid

Quote from: Bingo on February 13, 2015, 01:34:31 PM
Found this a very good read on social media and hope something innocent can really bite you on the butt.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/15/magazine/how-one-stupid-tweet-ruined-justine-saccos-life.html?smid=tw-share&_r=1
It is more dangerous than casual conversation because it's available to unlimited numbers of people and it can be saved indefinitely.
I don't think people realise that.

illdecide

I very rarely go on Facebook and I'm not on Twitter. In fact after a few comments on here that were taken out of context I'm very careful what I say on-line...Very dangerous tool the internet/Social media
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

thebigfella

Found this a very good read on social media and hope something innocent can really bite you on the butt.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/15/magazine/how-one-stupid-tweet-ruined-justine-saccos-life.html?smid=tw-share&_r=1

In her case it wasn't; she was a senior director of corporate communications at IAC and the comment outrageous whether she was taking the piss or not. The simple fact is she would never have walked into her workplace and said that expecting to keep her job.

Bingo

Quote from: thebigfella on February 13, 2015, 04:44:17 PM

In her case it wasn't; she was a senior director of corporate communications at IAC and the comment outrageous whether she was taking the piss or not. The simple fact is she would never have walked into her workplace and said that expecting to keep her job.

I think that is largely what the article is saying, where previously you could joke and says things privately with friends or even in public that are in jest or humour no matter how poor in taste it can be, social media can hold you accountable for this.

In another part of the article, someone said a joke to another person that isn't near sackable in my opinion, but someone else, a woman, heard it, deemed it inappropriate and took a picture of the person and sent it out on twitter. The result, he got sacked and then she got death threats.

While social media carries the responsibility of what you say, it also is very dangerous for taking items out of context. The example of the signs picture where a running joke was taking in insolation for one picture and ended up with people losing their job.

You say she wasn't innocent? I can only say that her joke was in poor taste and she paid the ultimate price but was she doing it in her role for her employer? Again it was taken in isolation. Are we expected to do everything in context of what our employers would think or what is expected of us in a role we carry outside our private life? Are we on duty 24/7?

If she was a part time comic and done a routine using the jokes she tweeted about her travels would she be in same position? Maybe her employer not be happy but her comments would be taken in a different spirit regardless of the humour involved.

I don't think too many of us would be free from sin in terms of jokes we've told or comments we have passed. Its just that there is a more dangerous outlet now for them.

muppet

MWWSI 2017

ziggysego

Testing Accessibility

muppet

MWWSI 2017

J70

muppet

Quote from: J70 on February 13, 2015, 09:44:04 PM
There's no justice like mob justice!

Yes but what will we get mad about tomorrow, that's what I want to know?
MWWSI 2017

Maguire01

Asal Mor

Fascinating article and it's disturbing how so many people take such pleasure in ruining someone's life. Though I must confess I felt a good bit less sorry for Aria Richards (the woman who took the picture of the dongle joker) than I did for the others. Lynch mobbers seem to be lacking in all self-awareness. Let he who is without sin cast the first stone.

muppet

Quote from: Asal Mor on February 14, 2015, 06:50:46 AM
Fascinating article and it's disturbing how so many people take such pleasure in ruining someone's life. Though I must confess I felt a good bit less sorry for Aria Richards (the woman who took the picture of the dongle joker) than I did for the others. Lynch mobbers seem to be lacking in all self-awareness. Let he who is without sin cast the first stone.

Agreed. She took a private conversation, which had nothing to do with her and decided to make it public, with the intention of shaming those involved.

The danger is that this sort of situation is only going to get more frequent.
MWWSI 2017