2015 Laois Senior Hurling

Started by redsetanta, February 13, 2015, 12:55:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Giovanni

I think we're incredibly lucky to have Cheddar. Another great story here:

http://www.hoganstand.com/Laois/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=240628

As redsetanta says, it's up to the County Board now to make his life as easy as possible and to make every possible effort to support him with whatever he needs.

New tactical ideas will always be helpful but I get the impression from all the various storie that Cheddar is a pretty creative person himself. Personally, I think the idea of Laois going 15 v 15 is just not really on at this stage. The best team in the country had 12 lads behind the ball for a lot of the 2nd half against Galway last weekend and that was hailed as tactical genius. The winners' tactics are always adjudged to be the best, regardless of the quality of the players on both teams. In my opinion, Cheddar has managed to get the maximum out of the players we have (exemplified maybe most by Zane Keenan who has worked his ass off in the games I've seen him play) and you can't ask for any more than that.

If we keep Cheddar on board, and with the good players that are slowly coming through, we'll be getting better and better over the next few years.

on the hop

I would take the u-21's off him, we have been extremely poor at that grade for the last two years.

clubjoe14

I feel after the great result against offaly this year which was a step in the right direction we need to push on to get to the next level and get closer to top teams like kilkenny,cork etc. To make that step we need a manager that has the experience of winning titles at this level, anthony daly i feel could really bring laois to  the level we all want the team to get to.

finbar o tool

jaysus clubjoe14, you better get the helmet on and get into the fetal position, you're going to get hammered for suggesting that!!  ;D

i would definitely suggest getting a new man in for the U21s anyway, too much for any manager to look after 2 teams and give both 100% commitment. 
An amateur requires a personal commitment that money cannot buy

burdizzo

Ha ha ha! Do you really see the county board shelling out for Daly? Do we really have enough coming through to entice someone like Daly? I think the answer to both is 'no'.

Teo Lurley

We don't have the players to compete with Kilkenny or Cork. We have pushed by Offaly and moved up the ladder but we're not even on Wexfords rung yet. Some people need a good dose of reality.

clubjoe14

i have been to a few games this year and even in the offaly game where we hurled very well, we lacked abit of a killer instinct upfront. I feel we need to create and score more goals to get to the next level.

merman

Quote from: Teo Lurley on July 08, 2015, 06:28:03 PM
We don't have the players to compete with Kilkenny or Cork. We have pushed by Offaly and moved up the ladder but we're not even on Wexfords rung yet. Some people need a good dose of reality.

Agreed.

Talk of changing our manager is utterly redundant; completely nonsensical.
We are not in a position to offer ANYTHING to the likes of Anthony Daly. We don't yet have the players or the finances to even consider it.

What's amazing about the work Cheddar has done is that he has dragged us a small way up a steep ladder through massive personal investment, in every sense of the word. He believes passionately in Laois hurling and that is something that no outside, paid manager can bring.

I believe in the journey we are on but we still have a lot of dark days ahead. We are going to take beatings from the best teams and we are now definite targets for the likes of Westmeath/Antrim/Carlow/Kerry who won't see themselves a million miles behind us; not to mention the fact that whenever we face Offaly next they will 100% still expect to beat us.

We are playing with the same core of players who were hammered by the likes of Cork/Limerick/Dublin/Galway 3-5 years ago. We have brought through a few excellent young hurlers and will hopefully continue to do so over the coming years; especially if (and this is only my own opinion) the Setanta programme can be re-energised to the level it was at a couple of years ago. Those players are coming into a progressive and improving set-up; that may well be the legacy for this current bunch of players; not any actual attainments in terms of major scalps.

I share TheGreatGame's concern that the squad may experience a significant turnover of players before next year...

finbar o tool

Quote from: clubjoe14 on July 08, 2015, 06:31:53 PM
we lacked abit of a killer instinct upfront. I feel we need to create and score more goals to get to the next level.

clubjoe14 is actually right here. very hard to do that though with THAT system i mentioned previously! not starting again, just saying!  ;)

i will hold my hands up and say i was wrong to suggest we should get a new manager, but i haven't changed my thoughts on the system used this year.
everyone is very quick to say were not good enough to play 15 on 15 but how do you know?! it hasn't been tried and tested yet under cheddar, so how are you so sure?!
i will say again, i know we might not be good enough to beat some of these 'bigger' teams yet with 15 on 15, but, it will make us more competitive.
either way we are becoming a 1 trick pony using the same system over and over again.
Cheddar did say in his interview after the game V Dublin that "we need to look at it and maybe go a different way at this" and also said, "what do we want, do we want to stand still or keep pushing, keep pushing and keep finding different ways to improve ourselves".
fingers crossed we can try something else next year.
An amateur requires a personal commitment that money cannot buy

portlaoisekid

Good jesus.I find it hard to believe the lack of faith in Cheddar from some on this site and from some laois supporters in general. For what he has done for us as a county cant be quantified, we were facing into the Christy Ring and now we lose to Dublin playing poorly and we are disappointed . It has been quite the turnaround and  if, as expected, Cheddar leaves it will leave us with a huge void to fill and I really do not believe there is an appetite from Laois CB to fill it.  Cheddar drove this project forward and I dont see anyone filling the void.

CruiseCigar

We need to hang on to cheddar, get him some more assistance and try a get a little of that killer instinct, we need goals from somewhere next year, they really make a diference. A lot of good comments in last few posts
Laoise abĂș

Don Draper

Quote from: portlaoisekid on July 08, 2015, 10:00:31 PM
Good jesus.I find it hard to believe the lack of faith in Cheddar from some on this site and from some laois supporters in general. For what he has done for us as a county cant be quantified, we were facing into the Christy Ring and now we lose to Dublin playing poorly and we are disappointed . It has been quite the turnaround and  if, as expected, Cheddar leaves it will leave us with a huge void to fill and I really do not believe there is an appetite from Laois CB to fill it.  Cheddar drove this project forward and I dont see anyone filling the void.
Agreed. I absolutely wholeheartedly give the f**k up. I simply can't believe people like finbar are 1) serious and 2) in any way knowledgable. I give up on this place. Some lads can't take a few fucks, and other lads are absolutely clueless and blind. I'll leave with this. Thanks Cheddar, from the bottom of my heart thanks. But it does appear true, a man will never a prophet in his own land. We'll f**k this up, because its what we do in Laois.

See ya pals.

clubjoe14

I feel nobody is denying that we have improved in the last few years, but if we are to improve further we need to analyse and address the issues that currently exist in some of the teams performances. We can not be sensitive we need to be open and honest to improve and address issues from this year in order to improve, lack of goals and inconsistency in performances being the main ones i see.

Teo Lurley

We need Cheddar to stay on as Laois manager and we need Don to stay on Gaaboard. Lets get the campaigns going!

Unison

Quote from: Teo Lurley on July 09, 2015, 10:11:00 AM
We need Don to stay on Gaaboard. Lets get the campaigns going!

Is he sulking?