Started by Over the Bar, February 10, 2015, 09:12:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LCohen

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on February 12, 2015, 02:29:37 PM
Quote from: muppet on February 12, 2015, 02:23:01 PM
Quote from: DuffleKing on February 12, 2015, 10:33:52 AM

That clears it up completely.

:(

"punching, slapping, arm holding, pushing, tripping, jersey pulling or a full frontal charge"

At least one of the above occurs in nearly ever single attempt at a 'tackle'.

And that is what I am saying is wrong with the notion that the tackle is not defined.  It in my opinion is very clearly defined, the problem is that people don't know the rule, coach the rule or implement the rule.  There are 2 options, redefine the rule or enforce it and get coaches to coach how to tackle.

Completely agree. The tackle is well defined. The truth is that coaches just don't want to accept that definition. Refs are then confronted with massive levels of fouls and just don't bother calling them. This reinforces the player behaviour. Need the powers that be to grow a set and enforce the law. Would expect some short term pain for the spectacle but worth doing to lance the boil

DuffleKing

Quote from: LCohen on February 12, 2015, 07:25:35 PM

"punching, slapping, arm holding, pushing, tripping, jersey pulling or a full frontal charge"

And that is what I am saying is wrong with the notion that the tackle is not defined.  It in my opinion is very clearly defined, the problem is that people don't know the rule, coach the rule or implement the rule.  There are 2 options, redefine the rule or enforce it and get coaches to coach how to tackle.

Completely agree. The tackle is well defined. The truth is that coaches just don't want to accept that definition. Refs are then confronted with massive levels of fouls and just don't bother calling them. This reinforces the player behaviour. Need the powers that be to grow a set and enforce the law. Would expect some short term pain for the spectacle but worth doing to lance the boil

Well defined is it? Okay, from that definition, a few questions...

Where can I find a copy of these "rules of fair play" - can they be downloaded from the GAA website? I ask because these are the only rules which i may use to tackle or frustrate* my opponent.

If a tackle is "aimed at the ball" am I to assume there is no penalty for missing the ball so long i'm aiming for it?

What can i tackle with? my hand, elbow, head, knee, a weapon?

"A tackler may use his body to confront the opponent". I don't know where to start with that one.

*I assume disappointing him constantly, turning up late, etc. are not fair means by which to frustrate an opponent in Gaelic Football any more but are fair enough in Hurling?

LCohen

Quote from: DuffleKing on February 12, 2015, 08:27:27 PM
Quote from: LCohen on February 12, 2015, 07:25:35 PM

Well defined is it? Okay, from that definition, a few questions...

Where can I find a copy of these "rules of fair play" - can they be downloaded from the GAA website? I ask because these are the only rules which i may use to tackle or frustrate* my opponent.

If a tackle is "aimed at the ball" am I to assume there is no penalty for missing the ball so long i'm aiming for it?

What can i tackle with? my hand, elbow, head, knee, a weapon?

"A tackler may use his body to confront the opponent". I don't know where to start with that one.

*I assume disappointing him constantly, turning up late, etc. are not fair means by which to frustrate an opponent in Gaelic Football any more but are fair enough in Hurling?

I'll give you the one about the weapon You are quite correct, the wording needs to be tightened up and maybe give lists of permissable and non-permissable weapons.

Surly the real point here is that coaches are hiding behind this "definition of the tackle" argument. Slapping the player in possession around the arms and chest is clearly outside the rules. When the ref calls a foul the management complain about the definition of the tackle. Its a nonsense. The same applies to shoulder hits that front on, jersey pulls etc

DuffleKing

Some of the more harmful nonsense about gaelic football as a game is attached to this topic. There is no defined tackle. Not even close to a coherent definition.

What we actually have is a set of conventions and understandings that have evolved over generations, open to interpretation by any referee, player or coach.

This is why there is so much frustration from all angles. The understanding of what is and is not permissable changes every day you go out depending on the environment that a referee has grown up and learned the game in. That's not the referees fault either.