First ever GAA World Games

Started by Any craic, February 07, 2015, 07:42:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Denn Forever

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on March 07, 2015, 07:08:33 AM
This is great stuff, Jerome. Would you be thinking of doing a tour of Brittany or Galicia to see these lads playing at home?  I'd be very interested in seeing what that's like. The number of clubs in those places has taken off like a rocket.

didn't somebody say that GAA is part of the PE curriculum in Brittany.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

twohands!!!

Quote from: Denn Forever on March 07, 2015, 01:25:25 PM
Quote from: Eamonnca1 on March 07, 2015, 07:08:33 AM
This is great stuff, Jerome. Would you be thinking of doing a tour of Brittany or Galicia to see these lads playing at home?  I'd be very interested in seeing what that's like. The number of clubs in those places has taken off like a rocket.

didn't somebody say that GAA is part of the PE curriculum in Brittany.

Yeah I read that about GAA in Brittany in an article somewhere recently enough.

theticklemister

It was Yer man who posted here a few weeks back

British uni championship semis

New York v John Moores
hope v Northumbria

I was chatting to the New York manager there, it said it cost them 40,000 to come to England for this weekend. 30,000 on flights and it was up to each player to fundraiser for half their air travel and county board helped the rest. Some effort. I reckon they will give Moores the fill of it now this afternoon

theticklemister

Befriend lancashirepro on facebook if u want updates. Semis start in twenty minutes.

sligoman2

My preparations hampered by weather but they have some excellent played,  anyone know how to get updates or listen to the games
I used to be indecisive but now I'm not too sure.

Gabriel_Hurl

Quote from: Any craic on March 07, 2015, 04:20:39 AM
this is a video from Day One, with thanks to Lucia from Galicia, Papi from Johannesburg and Pat from Kerry.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhJuQq6-ZhU

Yer man from South Africa took that goal very well and that poor full back for Argentina fell for the same dummy twice .

theticklemister

In uni championships New York beat john Moores in 'A' semis to progress to final. What an effort! Scored last kick of the game, a penalty.

sligoman2

Thanks tickle, I heard ny were down by 5 pts with 3 mins to go and got a goal and a penalty.

Great win for the ny lads

theticklemister

Well Sligo man it was a thing of beauty. I was rooting for the underdog the whole way the through. The story unfolds as this....

john Moores finished top of their group in Manchester and played New York who finished second in their group with Liverpool Hope ( in liverpool)beating them by five points. The game was taking hold of by the Americans but poor shooting led them to going in level at break at two a piece. Moores took a foothold as the Americans offered little in attack. They then had a shot cleared off line and then hit cross bar. This was all when two points down. They were awarded a penalty. The midfielder ( no.9) who was the best player of the day, turned to the sideline And said to all the Liverpool hope lads watching in' if this goes in iM going to hug you'. BANG the ball goes in net, he turns around hugs us all....... Little known that the ref has let the play commence.  he blew up shortly after.  real fairytaile stuff. Class. Brilliant. Fantastic. Done the heart good. Real sense of achicement by the lads. A real purpose.

A real blow was struck today for the GAA. The gaa world might be looking at Abi Dubai, but not too far away in Liverpool maybe where the real story is.

Liverpool Hope play New York in final tomorrow

sligoman2

Thanks tickle I have a vested interest in the ny team. I used to coach a lot of them, all American born and great athletes in many sports

rrhf

Any truth that South Africa played a few ringers.    Intercounty men on false names.  What are the rules for eligibility (grandparents rule etc)  and if found to be broken would we see suspensions to before back home?  Few boys sweating perhaps?

Hardy

I hope all the team sheets were in Irish.

Any craic

lynchbhoy

Wasn't there some kind of 'world' football championships being played in Dublin every other year in the early/mid 90's.

I recall going on the rip for the night with a San Fran team in kielys in donnybrook when I bumped into one of their players - an ex college team mate and ex Laois intercounty man in the pub. They'd played a few group games that day in ucd and were knocked out of the competition.

Afaik and can remember there were teams from USA, ny, Canada , Scotland and England competing.

So this world games is a bit of a se on coming.
But it's all going the right direction. Loads of countries playing and loving the sports.
Once hurling takes off in the us college scene that will be fantastic for the game!

Football and hurling- best sports on the planet!

Eamonnca1

Quote from: lynchbhoy on March 08, 2015, 11:13:55 PM
Wasn't there some kind of 'world' football championships being played in Dublin every other year in the early/mid 90's.

Late 90s, early 2000s.  Wasn't very well promoted. I'm not sure if it was sanctioned by the boys at the top of the ladder at Croke Park. San Francisco stopped supporting it because it was just a big financial drain for limited benefit.