107 (46.5%)
I don't have a vote but would vote "No" if I did
26 (11.3%)
I don't have a vote and haven't decided how I would vote if I did
9 (3.9%)

Total Members Voted: 230

ONeill

Quote from: topcuppla on May 04, 2015, 01:34:33 PM
So for all the parents who think homosexuality is a natural normal trait can I ask one question.  When teaching your child about the facts of life, do you also include homosexual teaching

Yes! Why the fook wouldn't I?
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

seafoid

Quote from: T Fearon on May 04, 2015, 09:49:03 AM
God made Daddy for Mammy,not Daddy for Paddy
God made viruses as well, Tony. And some awful diseases.

https://www.goodreads.com/quotes/63481-religion-has-actually-convinced-people-that-there-s-an-invisible-man

"Religion has actually convinced people that there's an invisible man living in the sky who watches everything you do, every minute of every day. And the invisible man has a special list of ten things he does not want you to do. And if you do any of these ten things, he has a special place, full of fire and smoke and burning and torture and anguish, where he will send you to live and suffer and burn and choke and scream and cry forever and ever 'til the end of time! But He loves you. He loves you, and He needs money! He always needs money! He's all-powerful, all-perfect, all-knowing, and all-wise, somehow just can't handle money!"

macdanger2

Quote from: armaghniac on May 04, 2015, 12:32:36 PM
Quote from: macdanger2

This referendum has nothing to do with same-sex parenting

This is the thread on the marriage referendum, either you are referring to the presidential age referendum or you are think we are eejits.

I'll refer you to your own previous post:

Quote from: armaghniac on April 30, 2015, 09:24:38 AM
The previous post is written as if the recent adoption act had never been passed, maybe you should extend your reading to that.

which was in response to this post:

http://gaaboard.com/board/index.php?topic=25487.msg1462543#msg1462543

macdanger2

Quote from: topcuppla on May 04, 2015, 12:15:13 PM
Quote from: macdanger2 on May 04, 2015, 10:06:48 AM
Quote from: armaghniac on May 04, 2015, 07:35:39 AM
Quote from: Eamonnca1 on May 03, 2015, 11:57:34 PM
Okay then. Let's hear your empirical evidence that shows that having same-sex parents is harmful.

"Harmful" is pejorative, I didn't make a claim that have same sex parents was bad, only that different sex parents on balance were preferable.

You are the people seeking to change the constitution, you should be producing the evidence beyond reasonable doubt, not me. The constitution should not be changed in trivial way, but only if the evidence is clear, but all we get are these samples of one and spurious statements about equality.  At the very minimum the whole thing is being conducted with undue haste.

There is a lot of evidence that there problems with non biological parents than arise less with biological ones, the so called Cinderella Effect. Now I realise that this is not entirely clear, but the very least that we should expect is the collection of a proper amount of data to clarify things before changing constitutions and the like.

A yes vote will completely open the door to it.

It's already wide open and this outcome of this vote one way or the other will not change it. Same-sex adoption is already legal under the Children and Family Relationships Bill:

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/cabinet-approves-bill-allowing-adoption-by-same-sex-couples-1.2106843

topcuppla

Quote from: ONeill on May 04, 2015, 01:57:58 PM
So for all the parents who think homosexuality is a natural normal trait can I ask one question.  When teaching your child about the facts of life, do you also include homosexual teaching

As I keep saying it is very easy to type a collection of words together on any forum, so your kids I would say are older what teenagers, at age 10 or 11 whenever you were teaching them the facts of life you told them about homosexual relations and how that is a normal natural human trait, I would say I smell bullshit, but fair play for trying to look progressive.

J70

Quote from: topcuppla on May 04, 2015, 02:53:24 PM

As I keep saying it is very easy to type a collection of words together on any forum, so your kids I would say are older what teenagers, at age 10 or 11 whenever you were teaching them the facts of life you told them about homosexual relations and how that is a normal natural human trait, I would say I smell bullshit, but fair play for trying to look progressive.

So your argument is "I don't like gays and I couldn't picture myself teaching my kids that its ok to be gay, therefore, no one else can or could think differently"?

glens73

Quote from: J70 on May 04, 2015, 03:24:36 PM

So your argument is "I don't like gays and I couldn't picture myself teaching my kids that its ok to be gay, therefore, no one else can or could think differently"?

J70, you're better off not engaging with this topcupler or fearon either. They are abhorrent human beings and they are the ones who should be castigated not homosexuals. To say that children raised with 2 mothers or 2 fathers are more likely to be abused is an absolutely disgusting thing to say and something that should not be said without some evidence. What future is there for teenagers or young adults who come to the realisation that they are gay when they come up against bigotry of this kind, it is truly evil to show such disdain for your fellow human being.

BennyHarp

What if your kid told you he was gay? I've no doubt you'd cure him by making him watch footie and drink beer?
That was never a square ball!!

stew

Homosexuality is something I will never understand nor comprehend, I will say that people stating that kids raised by a homosexual couple have more chance to me abused is an absolute disgrace, and totally without foundation.

Everyone on the planet should have the right to make their own choices pertaining to who they love and decide to live their lives with, it must be hard enough being gay without being treated as a lesser human being.

I balk at marriage though, I do believe it should be between a man and a woman however if they are not allowed to marry they are again being treated as less than equal to the hetrosexual population.

As long as they are not married in a Christian Church I am happy enough and wish them all, all the best.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Oraisteach

Stew, you are becoming much more open-minded.  First, it was the death penalty, and now it's same-sex relationship.  All you need now is to undergo Harps-conversion therapy.  Good man.

ONeill

WTF backwoods do you come from? Progressive? Maybe in the 1950s or early 60s.

You made a right few incorrect assumptions in that post but I'll deal with one. My children are 8. They're big fans of Modern Family which has 2 gay men as prominent characters. I think one of my children may have asked if they were gay when they started watching it. And that was that. The don't bat an eyelid to what sexuality someone is. Funny, earlier today the son heard something about this referendum on RTE and asked me why gay men cannot marry. He asked 'isn't that racist?'
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

armaghniac

Quote from: macdanger2 on May 04, 2015, 02:31:38 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on May 04, 2015, 12:32:36 PM
Quote from: macdanger2

This is the thread on the marriage referendum, either you are referring to the presidential age referendum or you are think we are eejits.

I'll refer you to your own previous post:

Quote from: armaghniac on April 30, 2015, 09:24:38 AM
The previous post is written as if the recent adoption act had never been passed, maybe you should extend your reading to that.

which was in response to this post:

http://gaaboard.com/board/index.php?topic=25487.msg1462543#msg1462543

Marriage is an institution supported by society in order to support men and women to get together and have their own children. Adoption is something that occurs when something has gone wrong. Marriage law should be designed to support the former and adoption law the latter and as you say, adoption law has been adjusted to allow the possibility of adoption to people who are not married, so there is no need to change marriage law to accommodate same sex couples who may have children.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

armaghniac

Quote from: ONeill on May 04, 2015, 05:24:32 PM
You made a right few incorrect assumptions in that post but I'll deal with one. My children are 8. They're big fans of Modern Family which has 2 gay men as prominent characters. I think one of my children may have asked if they were gay when they started watching it. And that was that. The don't bat an eyelid to what sexuality someone is. Funny, earlier today the son heard something about this referendum on RTE and asked me why gay men cannot marry. He asked 'isn't that racist?'

That figures. The entire campaign by yes has been conducted at the level of 8 year olds.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

macdanger2

Quote from: armaghniac on May 04, 2015, 05:52:41 PM

Marriage is an institution supported by society in order to support men and women to get together and have their own children. Adoption is something that occurs when something has gone wrong. Marriage law should be designed to support the former and adoption law the latter and as you say, adoption law has been adjusted to allow the possibility of adoption to people who are not married, so there is no need to change marriage law to accommodate same sex couples who may have children.

So you agree that this referendum has nothing to do with same-sex parenting?

Hardy

Quote from: armaghniac on May 04, 2015, 05:52:41 PM

Or, in other words, to bring the question of parenting into the same-sex marriage debate is at least irrelevant or, more probably, obfuscatory and diversionary and an argument against same-sex marriage on the basis that marriage is intended to foster parenting is clearly baseless. As you say yourself, the extension of marriage rights to same-sex couples would have no effect at all on the parenting rights of same-sex parents or on the rights of the children of same-sex parents. And, of course, the extension of marriage rights to same-sex couples has no effect at all on the marriage rights, or any other rights, of heterosexual couples.

What, then, are the remaining arguments against same-sex marriage?