107 (46.5%)
I don't have a vote but would vote "No" if I did
26 (11.3%)
I don't have a vote and haven't decided how I would vote if I did
9 (3.9%)

Total Members Voted: 230

AQMP

Quote from: longballin on December 28, 2017, 10:17:08 AM
Gay rights campaigner Andrew Muir on similar fundamentalist homophobia from Ian Paisley jnr, "Our research proves that 29% of young people have actually attempted suicide because of homophobia in society and I think these comments are very concerning".

Sorry, 29% of young people have attempted suicide because of homophobia?? Are you are about that stat?? What defines a "young person"? Do the figures include heterosexual young people?? Sounds like bollocks to me.

Minder

Quote from: AQMP on December 28, 2017, 11:09:42 AM
Gay rights campaigner Andrew Muir on similar fundamentalist homophobia from Ian Paisley jnr, "Our research proves that 29% of young people have actually attempted suicide because of homophobia in society and I think these comments are very concerning".

Sorry, 29% of young people have attempted suicide because of homophobia?? Are you are about that stat?? What defines a "young person"? Do the figures include heterosexual young people?? Sounds like bollocks to me.

Careful now AQMP, you could be labelled as a homophobe
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

BennyCake

Quote from: T Fearon on December 28, 2017, 09:22:40 AM
Unfortunately being a decent human being without faith will not get you to heaven,according to scripture.

There are far too many people wishing hell away and expecting churches to tolerate sinfulness under the guise of misplaced compassion.

They cannot act in defiance of scripture.

What about tribes in the Amazon who have never encountered civilisation and have no idea about the bible or God etc? I mean, them boys have no chance if that's the setup.

- You're not getting into heaven, amazon boy.
Why not?
- You didn't have faith.
But I was a good lad.
- That's not enough.
Ah for Jaysus sake!

Hardly fair that, is it?

longballin

Quote from: AQMP on December 28, 2017, 11:09:42 AM

Well it would if you dont want to hear it - is loads of research done... http://theconversation.com/why-do-so-many-gay-and-bisexual-men-die-from-suicide-78587

tonto1888

Quote from: T Fearon on December 28, 2017, 11:08:14 AM
This is not religious fundamentalism or a crusade against gays.Does pointing out that murder is wrong traumatise murderers? Should we desist from drawing attention to stealing being a sin to preserve the mental health of thieves and robbers?

Christians believe homosexuality is sinful it does not condone any abuse of homosexuals.

so now youre putting gays in with murderers and thieves?

By the way, I'm Christian and I certainly do not believe that homosexuality is a sin

The Iceman

I don't agree that the level of homophobia exists that the article alludes to or states  -especially in a country like Canada where everything and anything goes.
There is a parade in every major city in the developed world celebrating gay pride. There are gay characters in every tv show there is lgbtq officers in every workforce promoting acceptance - it's the new great "cause"...so I disagree that the homophobia is causing suicide....
I would argue that struggling with their own sexuality causes suicide....I would argue gay men going through 100s and 1000s of partners in their lifetime and still not being satisfied or still feeling alone and empty and lost is what is causing suicide.
I know there are many gay men who settle down with one life time partner but that is not the norm. Most gay men are extremely promiscuous and this study is about gay men and the suicide rates are highest among young gay men. It's worth considering that these rates remain high, despite the pride celebrated around the world, despite the equality, despite the freedom of expression, because gay men are still struggling with being gay themselves.

It's an easy way out for anyone in the argument to throw the homophobia defense and think they've solved it all...
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

longballin

Quote from: The Iceman on December 28, 2017, 04:27:24 PM
I don't agree that the level of homophobia exists that the article alludes to or states  -especially in a country like Canada where everything and anything goes.
There is a parade in every major city in the developed world celebrating gay pride. There are gay characters in every tv show there is lgbtq officers in every workforce promoting acceptance - it's the new great "cause"...so I disagree that the homophobia is causing suicide....
I would argue that struggling with their own sexuality causes suicide....I would argue gay men going through 100s and 1000s of partners in their lifetime and still not being satisfied or still feeling alone and empty and lost is what is causing suicide.
I know there are many gay men who settle down with one life time partner but that is not the norm. Most gay men are extremely promiscuous and this study is about gay men and the suicide rates are highest among young gay men. It's worth considering that these rates remain high, despite the pride celebrated around the world, despite the equality, despite the freedom of expression, because gay men are still struggling with being gay themselves.

It's an easy way out for anyone in the argument to throw the homophobia defense and think they've solved it all...

is loads of other articles and evidence but if people refuse to believe it... if you think a few parades make everything ok you are very niaive or in denial.  as for the other homophobic comment highlighted...

T Fearon

It seems to me that LBGT community has more rights protection than Christians these days.Homophobia is clamped down on more firmly than racism,sectarianism etc.

They have little to complain about

longballin

Quote from: T Fearon on December 28, 2017, 04:40:28 PM
It seems to me that LBGT community has more rights protection than Christians these days.Homophobia is clamped down on more firmly than racism,sectarianism etc.

it should be clamped down on including on this Board as well

tonto1888

Quote from: T Fearon on December 28, 2017, 04:40:28 PM

are you serious?

JoG2

Quote from: T Fearon on December 28, 2017, 07:22:31 AM
https://www.catholic.com/tract/the-hell-there-is

Catholic doctrine assuredly contains hell.

It is not for me to judge any individual but scripture is clear that homosexuality is sinful and therefore Christians must call it out.

Then who??
I usually wouldn't comment in these kinda threads, but that bit in bold is off the scales, and a little scary tbh. Blind faith in any religion (all complete works of fiction imo) has caused   incalculable death and destruction through the ages and continues to do so in the name of [insert the god of your choosing].. Absolute lunacy

T Fearon

Well in my lifetime alone,we have seen prosecution of consenting adults for engaging in homosexual activity evolve into full legitimate gay marriage with full rights including adoption of children etc,full employment rights.Gay Pride parades attract thousands of participants (so much for fear of coming out) and are now triumphalist to the extent that they match any Orange parade.Last year even the Taoiseach confidently put on a public show of support at the Belfast Gay Pride Parade.Homosexuals are no longer lampooned on tv as figures of fun in sitcoms or the butt of stand up comedians' jokes,as was the case in the 70s.It does seem to me that any even tenuous incident of homophobia is responded to immediately by the Police.The LGBT community has numerous well known lobbyists,more than any other so called marginalised group.

Politicians,celebrities,sports people come out easily ( I remember the shock and horror when the world found out Rock Hudson was homosexual,only at his death from AIDS).

I seriously do not know what else they want?

T Fearon

Quote from: JoG2 on December 28, 2017, 05:35:00 PM
Quote from: T Fearon on December 28, 2017, 07:22:31 AM
https://www.catholic.com/tract/the-hell-there-is

Catholic doctrine assuredly contains hell.

It is not for me to judge any individual but scripture is clear that homosexuality is sinful and therefore Christians must call it out.

Then who??

I usually wouldn't comment in these kinda threads, but that bit in bold is off the scales, and a little scary tbh. Blind faith in any religion (all complete works of fiction imo) has caused   incalculable death and destruction through the ages and continues to do so in the name of [insert the god of your choosing].. Absolute lunacy

Firstly I do not have blind faith in any religion.I find it reasonable enough to believe that a supreme being was ultimately responsible for creation,and see no reason for this temporary life other than a journey in preparation for eternity.Again it is reasonable enough to believe that Jesus came on earth to save sinners and point the way to heaven for all,and that he rose from the dead (the ultimate proof of God's existence)

I will not be instigating any acts of violence of any form on anyone for religious reasons,and neither will millions of others.This is contrary to my religious beliefs

Eamonnca1

Quote from: T Fearon on December 28, 2017, 05:38:21 PM
Well in my lifetime alone,we have seen prosecution of consenting adults for engaging in homosexual activity evolve into full legitimate gay marriage with full rights including adoption of children etc,full employment rights.Gay Pride parades attract thousands of participants (so much for fear of coming out) and are now triumphalist to the extent that they match any Orange parade.Last year even the Taoiseach confidently put on a public show of support at the Belfast Gay Pride Parade.Homosexuals are no longer lampooned on tv as figures of fun in sitcoms or the butt of stand up comedians' jokes,as was the case in the 70s.It does seem to me that any even tenuous incident of homophobia is responded to immediately by the Police.The LGBT community has numerous well known lobbyists,more than any other so called marginalised group.

Politicians,celebrities,sports people come out easily ( I remember the shock and horror when the world found out Rock Hudson was homosexual,only at his death from AIDS).

I seriously do not know what else they want?

Oh for the good old days, eh?

Eamonnca1