107 (46.5%)
I don't have a vote but would vote "No" if I did
26 (11.3%)
I don't have a vote and haven't decided how I would vote if I did
9 (3.9%)

Total Members Voted: 230

LCohen

Quote from: T Fearon on February 08, 2015, 12:45:21 PM
I am not a religious fundamentalist,but I believe the basic tenet that commit sin and face punishment.I don't get too exercised by the minutiae of the bible,save for the gospel and the life of Christ,and particularly his resurrection. But scripture does make it clear in a non contradictory manner that there is no approval for homosexuality and I think the issue of gay marriage and particularly the ability of those in gay marriages to adopt children,should be examined very carefully for all the ramifications. It simply is not natural and should not be elevated to the same plane of what is natural.

Awful stuff there. really awful. the absence of (and indeed contempt for) logic, rational thinking and indeed compassion.

You are quite entitled to your view on the link between sin and punishment. But you will be held to account on what should constitute sin and separately what should constitute legitimate punishment. It is the sin bit that is up for debate here. You source your belief that homosexual behaviour is sinful per the scripture. Kindly evidence this? Be specific.

As for the non-natural bit. Kindly inform us where a homosexuality comes from if it is not from nature? You have declare that it is "simply not natural" and being a man of reason you will not have said this if you did not have a sound basis - all I'm asking is that you share this with us.

LCohen

Quote from: easytiger95 on February 08, 2015, 01:03:44 PM
Yes, I know you don't bother with the minutiae of the Bible. in another thread, you said Barrabas died beside Jesus. Which is a fairly big mistake to make, Mr. Luther.

But if you really don't bother with the minutiae, then why don't you tell us exactly where the homosexuality prohibition in the Bible is in the Bible - surely, for a one-page Christian like yourself, it must have been somewhere fairly prominent? Like the 10 commandments, maybe? Or the Last Supper? Or the Sermon on the Mount? Surely, a man as unconcerned with details as yourself isn't talking about something as obscure as Leviticus? Because it is not mentioned in the Gospels Tony.

As for the unnatural nature of homosexuality - well, it's been present in human behaviour and cultures since there were humans, and I think the Neanadarthals (you know them tony!) and the Cro-Magnons had their share as well. Indeed, homosexuality is present in all forms of mammals, especially those Godless dolphins!! I know you don't like evolution Tony, but it has always been with us, it hasn't been bred out of our and other species, and what could be more natural than that?

Easy tiger. easytiger95
You are dealing with Tony on a rational basis and asking him questions. Tony will dodge the question and then accuse you of being anti-religion. It is obvious that decency would dictate that Tony engages in the debate and answers the questions. I will log in later to see if Tony can measure up to the standard of decency.

J70

Quote from: T Fearon on February 08, 2015, 12:03:56 PM
Is it just me or are there a significant number of people who would vote for or support anything just to get up the noses of Christians? Where does this hatred of Christianity emanate from? Is it a sign of fear that causes many to ridicule the existence of God or the veracity of scripture? Deep down is there a tiny part of them that concedes that maybe it is all true and that they will face judgement? Why can't Christian beliefs be respected? After all,if the people support gay marriage in a referendum,it will be enacted,but no right thinking person should deny the Christian churches the right to guide their flocks and others?

Yeah Tony, this is all about disrespecting christians! Just like the civil rights movements in the six counties was all about sticking it to the unionists. Same with white people in the US south. They were the real victims!

Religion is and has been used to justify all kinds of questionable and objectionable beliefs and practices. There is no onus on society to respect any belief just because it is draped in the fig leaf of religion.

muppet

Quote from: T Fearon on February 08, 2015, 12:45:21 PM
I am not a religious fundamentalist,but I believe the basic tenet that commit sin and face punishment.I don't get too exercised by the minutiae of the bible,save for the gospel and the life of Christ,and particularly his resurrection. But scripture does make it clear in a non contradictory manner that there is no approval for homosexuality and I think the issue of gay marriage and particularly the ability of those in gay marriages to adopt children,should be examined very carefully for all the ramifications. It simply is not natural and should not be elevated to the same plane of what is natural.

Post it up Tony.

Otherwise you might be accused of bearing false witness.
MWWSI 2017

J70

Isn't the passage in Leviticus (along with a lot if other important instructions! :p ).

muppet

Quote from: J70 on February 08, 2015, 02:37:05 PM
Isn't the passage in Leviticus (along with a lot if other important instructions! :p ).

Quote"If a man has sexual relations with a man as one does with a woman, both of them have done what is detestable. They are to be put to death; their blood will be on their own heads."

Here is Leviticus on hairstyles:

QuoteYou shall not round off the side-growth of your heads

Here it is on pigs:

Quote"You shall not eat of their flesh nor touch their carcasses;

Timothy states the following:

Quote"Likewise, I want women to adorn themselves with proper clothing, modestly and discreetly, not with braided hair and gold or pearls or costly garments."

Where is Tony's moral pontification on the above Biblical issues?
MWWSI 2017

foxcommander

Quote from: Rossfan on February 06, 2015, 10:02:09 PM
Quote from: foxcommander on February 06, 2015, 09:24:49 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on February 06, 2015, 09:21:28 PM
I'll be voting NO as I'm of the opinion that Marriage is a special thingy between a man and a woman.
Gay couples have Civil ppartnership which gives them the same legal rights and protection as marriage.

There's words for people like you.
Correction -
There ARE words.

Let's play countdown

O H M O P H O B E

See if you can make a word out of that....
Every second of the day there's a Democrat telling a lie

armaghniac

Quote from: foxcommander on February 08, 2015, 07:36:47 PM
I'll be voting NO as I'm of the opinion that Marriage is a special thingy between a man and a woman.
Gay couples have Civil ppartnership which gives them the same legal rights and protection as marriage.

Correction -
There ARE words.

Let's play countdown

O H M O P H O B E

mohophobe = fear of people in caravans
ohmophobe = fear of resistors
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

muppet

Quote from: armaghniac on February 08, 2015, 09:17:44 PM

Correction -
There ARE words.

Let's play countdown

O H M O P H O B E

mohophobe = fear of people in caravans
ohmophobe = fear of resistors

omaghphobe = fear of blankets
omophhobe = fear of detergents
MWWSI 2017

T Fearon

I thought Omaghphobe was fear of Dominic Kirwan?

Sandy Hill

Correction -
There ARE words.

Let's play countdown

O H M O P H O B E

So, will you label anyone who dares to vote no, as I would, a homophobe?
"Stercus accidit"

armaghniac

Quote from: Sandy Hill on February 08, 2015, 10:02:17 PM

Correction -
There ARE words.

Let's play countdown

O H M O P H O B E

they'll probably label you as deranged as well.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

LCohen

Quote from: armaghniac on February 08, 2015, 10:20:28 PM

Correction -
There ARE words.

Let's play countdown

O H M O P H O B E

they'll probably label you as deranged as well.

The word was unhinged. And yes anyone who argues that the yes campaign is constituted of people who are are opposed to men and women marrying and raising children is always going to run the risk of being labelled unhinged. That stands to reason.

LCohen

Correction -
There ARE words.

Let's play countdown

O H M O P H O B E

Certainly anyone voting No would run the risk of being labelled a homophobe. But in your case it probably would be best to outline your reasons for voting no and then I could consider whether i would label you a homophobe. That way we can all be logical and reasonable.

When I say "outline your reasons" I do mean something more than simply saying the bible is generally but not in any specific way that you can share with us against homosexuality. That would just be cowardice and illogicality. It will take something more than that.

LCohen

Looks like Tony et al have accepted that there is nothing in the bible that could demand or even justify voting No in this referendum.

Either that or they are under some form of compulsion to prevent them sharing this valuable data with the sane world.