Mayo v Tyrone Sunday 8th February 2015

Started by Redhand Santa, February 02, 2015, 10:43:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mayo4Sam

The ref didn't even give a free FFS! It was only when AOS was holding off four tyrone lads that he went back to it!
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

sensethetone

The ref went back to it after the next Tyrone man was done, he knew he had to do something and someone was going to go.

muppet

Quote from: sensethetone on February 09, 2015, 03:07:16 PM
The ref went back to it after the next Tyrone man was done, he knew he had to do something and someone was going to go.

Ah, the 'he didn't see anything but knew he had to do something' rule.
MWWSI 2017

nrico2006

In real time it looked accidental but when you see the replay and watch O'Shea's face and reaction its clear that he knew what he was at.  What about the punch on Mattie Donnelly right in front of the referee?  Couldn't believe that he basically ignored it.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

ballinaman

Quote from: nrico2006 on February 09, 2015, 03:27:49 PM
In real time it looked accidental but when you see the replay and watch O'Shea's face and reaction its clear that he knew what he was at.  What about the punch on Mattie Donnelly right in front of the referee?  Couldn't believe that he basically ignored it.
Ah sure he was just going for the ball....like Nani the time 8)

Morgan
Pros - Good shot stopper and great striker of the ball
Cons - Shitehawks too much

muppet

In real time he jumped to block the handpass. That is why it looked accidental, it was.

After that he was committed and landed on the keeper. Morgan went down like he was shot. Hence the AOS reaction. Colm Cavanagh did a Donnacha Walsh dance and a swarm of Tyrone bees buzzed in from everywhere. Gaa referees seem to be particularly sensitive to swarms of arthropods and often go into state of shock, diminishing their capacity (yes it is possible) with the outcome being 'someone had to go'. This is often counter-productive with some referees, (i.e. anyone could get sent off for anything) but generally the swarm gets its way.
MWWSI 2017

Chimley

Any sign of Donie Buckley these days? Admittedly, I was limited to TG4 but I saw Holmes, Connelly and Collins but I didn't see Buckley in any of the huddles.

nrico2006

Quote from: muppet on February 09, 2015, 03:37:16 PM

In real time he jumped to block the handpass. That is why it looked accidental, it was.

After that he was committed and landed on the keeper. Morgan went down like he was shot. Hence the AOS reaction. Colm Cavanagh did a Donnacha Walsh dance and a swarm of Tyrone bees buzzed in from everywhere. Gaa referees seem to be particularly sensitive to swarms of arthropods and often go into state of shock, diminishing their capacity (yes it is possible) with the outcome being 'someone had to go'. This is often counter-productive with some referees, (i.e. anyone could get sent off for anything) but generally the swarm gets its way.

Don't see how you can see AOS as being committed and not see Morgan in the same light.  He was running towards AOS's direction and released the ball and got clattered head on, don't really think he made a meal out of it at all.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Fuzzman

I've not seen the incident yet so cannot comment but whilst reading all this and reading about in in the Irish News I couldn't help but think that Morgan is a very important player to Tyrone now like Cluxton is to Dublin.
He gets a lot of aggro from the crowd and so I would imagine if an opponent gets a chance to knock him off his stride "occidentally" then he will take that chance

Its like when Francie Bellew was coming at you and you waited til the last minute before releasing it then you knew Francie was gotta take his chance to nail you. Fair enuf

muppet

Quote from: Fuzzman on February 09, 2015, 04:05:52 PM
I've not seen the incident yet so cannot comment but whilst reading all this and reading about in in the Irish News I couldn't help but think that Morgan is a very important player to Tyrone now like Cluxton is to Dublin.
He gets a lot of aggro from the crowd and so I would imagine if an opponent gets a chance to knock him off his stride "occidentally" then he will take that chance

Its like when Francie Bellew was coming at you and you waited til the last minute before releasing it then you knew Francie was gotta take his chance to nail you. Fair enuf

Equally, he soloed out to halfway in the first half, gave the ball away and we got a point but should have got a goal while he was still running back. A turnover from his wanderings are very desirable and evidently available. It is arguably even more productive to force from him a turnover rather to to nail him and risk a card.
MWWSI 2017

LeoMc

A late tackle or a bad tackle is not a black card. They were fouls previously and are dealt with under the existing rules, a yellow card or a Red card. The black card offences are

1. To deal with cynical fouls
(a) Deliberate Trip of an opponent
(b) Deliberate Pull down of an opponent
(c) Deliberate Body Collide to take a player out of the movement of the play

2. To deal with Non Cynical Fouls -
(a) threatening or verbal abuse or threatening gestures towards a player or opponent
(b) to remonstrate with a referee or match official.

If Mr Duffy saw it as a deliberate body collide to take a player out of the movement of play then the correct card was picked.

Chimley

In the greater scheme of things, it had no effect on the outcome of the game I think. We looked a beaten docket all day and although there was a mini-revival around the time of the incorrectly awarded goal, we were huffing and puffing at the Tyrone defence with no real prospects of ever knocking it down.

StephenC

From where I was sitting, it looked to be a beautiful pass from Cavanagh (I think?) for Tyrone's goal.

Old yeller

For me, AOS deserved the black card. Deliberate body check, and a fuckin stupid thing to do

Old yeller

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on February 09, 2015, 10:04:19 AM
On the reffing or lack thereof, absolutely terrible. How many times were frees slowed down, at one stage in the second half a tyrone lad kicked the ball 30 yards to the corner, he couldn't possibly have argued he was kicking it to a tyrone man because they were all inside their own 45.
Diarmuid O'C black card for a rugby tackle. No. 26 Tyrone black card for two pull downs inside 30 seconds, yellowed two mins later. Duffy calling a line ball when it was clearly inside from O'C again. COC being pulled round the place by McMahon, followed up by a shoulder to the chest, both booked. AOS,  think he could have pulled out, surprised it wasn't a red but where do u get a black. Diarmuid again dragging out of Sean C.
If I could remember more Id put them down. Absolutely terrible.

On Mayo, you can't have three inside forwards who just don't move, really poor and even COC didn't change that, looking for long balls into the square. Shooting was the worst I've seen in a long time.
When Kev Mc and Jason D don't preform we are a poor team and chasing the game yesterday we went back to leaving our full back isolated, both Zippy and Caff were hung out to dry.

As for Tyrone, great football people but that team yesterday was absolutely puke, no interest in football, we couldn't get around it so it's job done but I'd worry if that was the template for the year and Mickey can't get a talented group of players to play some football.
The ref was bad in fairness but he was correct with the AOS call. People need to learn the black card rule themselves before ridiculing the ref for applying it correctly!