Mayo v Tyrone Sunday 8th February 2015

Started by Redhand Santa, February 02, 2015, 10:43:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

From the Bunker

Quote from: Zulu on February 08, 2015, 03:32:47 PM
Mayo have had so terrible shooting but Tyrone have been ultra negative with the number of players back and won't be pleasant viewing for the neutral this year if that's the path they are going down. Poor enough game today.

Yeah, ultra negative and terrible to watch. A good lesson for Mayo today! And a good lesson to learn in February. H&C out witted today on the sideline and preparation. A lot of our players look off the pace mentally yet.

Íseal agus crua isteach a

What a difference a week makes. "Micky the maestro" is back with his hungry hyenas. At the end of the day there is no substitute for a bit of passion. Hope Tyrone push on and try and make the most  out of the league, would be a great confidence booster going into the championship especially for the new lads.

Zulu

Quote from: BennyHarp on February 08, 2015, 03:35:44 PM
Mayo have had so terrible shooting but Tyrone have been ultra negative with the number of players back and won't be pleasant viewing for the neutral this year if that's the path they are going down. Poor enough game today.

After last weekend, the team couldn't afford a heavy defeat today. This was all about steadying the ship, so job done. If the neutrals don't like it they can watch Newcastle v Stoke.

So that's the choice, we either like that rubbish or turn if off? We can't watch it and comment that it isn't good to view? And your telling me Tyrone were guaranteed to lose heavily unless they got all 15 players behind the ball from first minute to last? I could understand Waterford doing it in a do or die championship game against Mayo but Tyrone doing it in the second game of the league against an understrength Mayo? That suggests Tyrone have no faith in themselves and few will look forward to watching them which is a shame as they were often brilliant to watch and they still have some excellent players. Mickey is out of ideas it seems and it's a case of avoiding hammerings rather than going out to win games.

theticklemister

It's bad news when three lads can't call a square ball. Simple rules can not be followed. He was in the square since Easter of last year.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Zulu on February 08, 2015, 03:46:53 PM

After last weekend, the team couldn't afford a heavy defeat today. This was all about steadying the ship, so job done. If the neutrals don't like it they can watch Newcastle v Stoke.

So that's the choice, we either like that rubbish or turn if off? We can't watch it and comment that it isn't good to view? And your telling me Tyrone were guaranteed to lose heavily unless they got all 15 players behind the ball from first minute to last? I could understand Waterford doing it in a do or die championship game against Mayo but Tyrone doing it in the second game of the league against an understrength Mayo? That suggests Tyrone have no faith in themselves and few will look forward to watching them which is a shame as they were often brilliant to watch and they still have some excellent players. Mickey is out of ideas it seems and it's a case of avoiding hammerings rather than going out to win games.

In fairness it's about steadying the ship for Tyrone. Plus the bonus of getting league points on the board. From a Mayo perspective today's game was a far better challenge than last weeks game v Kerry. Management (hopefully) should learn and be fore warned of what is in front of them.

muppet

Mayo lost today to a 'have a shot from wherever you like - because you'll miss' defence, not because of a functioning blanket defence.
MWWSI 2017

From the Bunker

Quote from: theticklemister on February 08, 2015, 03:52:29 PM
It's bad news when three lads can't call a square ball. Simple rules can not be followed. He was in the square since Easter of last year.

In fairness it would have been a great call to make in real time. Made the game a bit of a game and luckily did not influence the result!

ballinaman

Struggling to remember a  70 minute performance as bad as that in recent times from Mayo......up in Donegal a few years ago maybe.
Shooting
Handling
Decision making
Tactics

Wow.

BennyHarp

Out of interest, what county do you support Zulu? What's their current style of play? Do you prefer they win or go all out attack? Tyrone played the second half in relatively defensive mode. More so than I would ideally like but the pretty obvious tactic is that if you put that Mayo forward line under any pressure, they crumble, so going full on attack would gave them space that they might thrive in. Getting bodies around them and putting them under pressure then catch them on the break worked a treat - we got the much needed win. It's horses for courses. It may only be they second league game but you must be aware, even reading a few of the pages on here ver the past 7 days, how much pressure Mickey is under to produce results. After last weekends capitulation, this was more than just the second league game. Mayo fans earlier in the week were rightly lauding this team selection as the team that won in Killarney, now they are the second string - give me a break. My suggestion to switch off was tongue in cheek, but i can't imagine you were expecting a free flowing game, in fact it probably delights some that it wasn't so they could get onto their keyboards and complain. By the way, that black card rule is a joke.  ;)
That was never a square ball!!

From the Bunker

Quote from: ballinaman on February 08, 2015, 03:59:40 PM
Struggling to remember a  70 minute performance as bad as that in recent times from Mayo......up in Donegal a few years ago maybe.
Shooting
Handling
Decision making
Tactics

Wow.

We were choked! A bad day at the office. But a good lesson in early February!

muppet

Quote from: BennyHarp on February 08, 2015, 04:00:50 PM

Out of interest, what county do you support Zulu? What's their current style of play? Do you prefer they win or go all out attack? Tyrone played the second half in relatively defensive mode. More so than I would ideally like but the pretty obvious tactic is that if you put that Mayo forward line under any pressure, they crumble, so going full on attack would gave them space that they might thrive in. Getting bodies around them and putting them under pressure then catch them on the break worked a treat - we got the much needed win. It's horses for courses. It may only be they second league game but you must be aware, even reading a few of the pages on here ver the past 7 days, how much pressure Mickey is under to produce results. After last weekends capitulation, this was more than just the second league game. Mayo fans earlier in the week were rightly lauding this team selection as the team that won in Killarney, now they are the second string - give me a break. My suggestion to switch off was tongue in cheek, but i can't imagine you were expecting a free flowing game, in fact it probably delights some that it wasn't so they could get onto their keyboards and complain. By the way, that black card rule is a joke.  ;)

Post them up. Name and shame.
MWWSI 2017

BennyHarp

Quote from: moysider on February 06, 2015, 11:30:22 PM
Quote from: BennyHarp on February 06, 2015, 11:23:15 PM
Quote from: moysider on February 06, 2015, 09:32:42 PM
Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on February 06, 2015, 09:07:35 PM
Quote from: moysider on February 06, 2015, 09:02:48 PM

1.   David Clarke - Ballina Stephenites

2.   Michael Hall - Breaffy

3.   Kevin Keane - Westport

4.   Keith Higgins - Ballyhaunis (Capt.)

5.   Lee Keegan - Westport

6.   Stephen Coen - Hollymount/Carramore

7.   Colm Boyle - Davitts

8.   Seamus O'Shea - Breaffy

9.   Donal Vaughan - Ballinrobe

10.Diarmuid O'Connor - Ballintubber

11.Kevin McLoughlin - Knockmore

12.Jason Doherty - Burrishoole

13.Michael Conroy - Davitts

14.Alan Freeman - Aghamore

15.Mark Ronaldson - Shrule/Glencorrib

Holy feck! ;)

Are you fancying it a bit more now Sráth Bán? ;)

Mayo are taking the piss with that team! Tyrone by 5! 😃

Why? Similar to Killarney team as Miles pointed out.

I don't know who Miles is but Moysider was happy enough.
That was never a square ball!!

muppet

Quote from: BennyHarp on February 08, 2015, 04:27:35 PM
Quote from: moysider on February 06, 2015, 11:30:22 PM
Quote from: BennyHarp on February 06, 2015, 11:23:15 PM
Quote from: moysider on February 06, 2015, 09:32:42 PM
Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on February 06, 2015, 09:07:35 PM
Quote from: moysider on February 06, 2015, 09:02:48 PM

1.   David Clarke - Ballina Stephenites

2.   Michael Hall - Breaffy

3.   Kevin Keane - Westport

4.   Keith Higgins - Ballyhaunis (Capt.)

5.   Lee Keegan - Westport

6.   Stephen Coen - Hollymount/Carramore

7.   Colm Boyle - Davitts

8.   Seamus O'Shea - Breaffy

9.   Donal Vaughan - Ballinrobe

10.Diarmuid O'Connor - Ballintubber

11.Kevin McLoughlin - Knockmore

12.Jason Doherty - Burrishoole

13.Michael Conroy - Davitts

14.Alan Freeman - Aghamore

15.Mark Ronaldson - Shrule/Glencorrib

Holy feck! ;)

Are you fancying it a bit more now Sráth Bán? ;)

Mayo are taking the piss with that team! Tyrone by 5! 😃

Why? Similar to Killarney team as Miles pointed out.

I don't know who Miles is but Moysider was happy enough.

"Mayo fans earlier in the week were rightly lauding this team selection"

He merely said Mayo weren't taking the piss with that team. Hardly lauding.

That would be a black card Benny for illegally taking out the man.  ;D

MWWSI 2017

larryin89

Tyrone deserving winners.  Holmes and Connelly have not a notion between them , either sack them in the morning or keep diggin the hole. How you could not prepare for a blanket for a Tyrone game is beyond stupidity .
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

Syferus

To lose so comprehensively to what I suspect is an average at best side isn't great. But for the goal the second half was a wasteland of ball and missed chances for Mayo. Far too easy for Tyrone to cut through the Mayo defence too.

The call on AOS was totally mad too and it effected the game, but Tyrone were already coasting.