Mayo v Tyrone Sunday 8th February 2015

Started by Redhand Santa, February 02, 2015, 10:43:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lamh Dhearg Alba

Quote from: Redhand Santa on February 08, 2015, 08:28:55 AM

I do think there is unrealistic expectations among some tyrone fans though. They're judging the current team on the success in the last decade. But that hasn't always been the way with tyrone teams. Look back to the 90s record pre the golden era

1990 to 1993 beat first round ulster
1994 ulster finalists
1995 ulster champs and all Ireland finalists
1996 ulster champs
1997 ulster semi finalists
1998 beat first round
1999 ulster semi finalists

To be fair that was a golden era in comparison to most of Tyrone's history!

Personally my complaints about Mickey are not based on the team not competing for All-Ireland titles. It's clear this current group of players are not at the same level as the legends of the previous decade. I do think however that last season they were much less than the sum of their parts. I feel the manager's constant changes in personnel and systems are a factor in that underachievement. I have a huge respect for Mickey and his work in bringing success to Tyrone but that doesn't mean I'm not going to question his methods at times.

Off to a good start today, let's hope they can keep it going.

BennyHarp

Quote from: CD on February 08, 2015, 02:33:10 PM
A fit Justy McMahon is a fine thing to behold!

He is indeed! We are showing a bit of fight today, hopefully we can keep it going. Mayos shooting hasn't improved over the winter!
That was never a square ball!!

laceer

Tyrone playing with a bit more urgency than last week. Tiernan McCann and McMahon showing well for me. Sean Cavanagh looks off the pace although I'd imagine they're still training heavily enough. McCurry is playing very deep. Would like to see him on the end of a few more attacks.

CD

Quote from: BennyHarp on February 08, 2015, 02:37:49 PM
Quote from: CD on February 08, 2015, 02:33:10 PM
A fit Justy McMahon is a fine thing to behold!

He is indeed! We are showing a bit of fight today, hopefully we can keep it going. Mayos shooting hasn't improved over the winter!
Tyrone missed a couple there as well! Will be a different Mayo in this half - like you I'm intrigued as to whether Tyrone can maintain it.
Who's a bit of a moaning Michael tonight!

muppet

I can't think of the last time I saw us this bad.

Ref not helping but in fairness to him, almost every challenge by both teams is a foul.
MWWSI 2017

muppet

I take it back.

The ref is an idiot although it took Marty Duffy to tell him.
MWWSI 2017

muppet

Quote from: frostbit on February 08, 2015, 03:08:43 PM
Martin Duffy couldn't wait to get involved... Black to Aidan Ó Sé.  I thought it was accidental myself.

O'Shea was in the air ffs.

Colm Kavanagh threw a tantrum and Marty Duffy bought it.
MWWSI 2017

dublin7

Black card rules it would seem don't apply in this game today. O Shea lucky not to get a red instead of black for that cheap shot on the Tyrone goalkeeper. How does Michael Conroy still get a game for Mayo. Not even a distant relation of the standard required for an inter county forward

BennyHarp

I think I need someone to sit down and explain the black card rule to me again. It looks like it's allocated on a random basis these days.

muppet

Quote from: frostbit on February 08, 2015, 03:11:37 PM
Can someone clarify the square ball rule to a hurling man?

Yes.

If there has been a ludicrous card awarded against a team, the next few calls go your way.
MWWSI 2017

Zulu

No way was O'Shea's a black card. Thought Mayo a bit lucky to get the goal though as COC wasn't competing for the ball when he impeded the Tyrone goalkeeper. It wasn't a square ball though as you simply need to be outside the square when it's kicked and COC was I think.

stringbean

Is there a rule somewhere that can't have square ball if balls comes off the post, can be only reason goal was given, kinsella having poor game

tyroneman

Quote from: frostbit on February 08, 2015, 03:11:37 PM
Can someone clarify the square ball rule to a hurling man?

For an attacking player to enter opponents' small rectangle:
(a) During Play (excluding Set Play), before the final play of the ball into the small rectangle.

He was clearly inside the small rectangle when the ball was kicked and hit the post. As definite a square ball as you will see

tyroneboi

Quote from: Zulu on February 08, 2015, 03:14:55 PM
No way was O'Shea's a black card. Thought Mayo adeciy to get the goal though as COC wasn't competing for the ball when he impeded the Tyrone goalkeeper. It wasn't a square ball though as you simply need to be outside the square when it's kicked and COC was I think.

Which shot though? The one McLoughlin which hit the post hit he was standing in the square the whole time. I thought it was square ball but not 100% sure to be honest.

Never a black for O'Shea ridiculous decision.

BennyHarp