Mayo v Tyrone Sunday 8th February 2015

Started by Redhand Santa, February 02, 2015, 10:43:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moysider

Quote from: Nihilist on February 07, 2015, 12:45:55 AM
A lot depends on the benches. I expect a strong Mayo bench on Sunday. Mayo will probably try (and might get away with) 7/8 subs but that's fine by me. Long enough teams walked on them for being too nice.

Eh?

Haven t seen the subs list but expect to finish with a 'stronger' team than we start with.

You re looking at finishing with AOS, COC and Barrett anyway. For me last week Barrett was up there with Keith and Doc as mom. He s always been a leader and a more natural no. 5 but he rescued Coen the last day outa the corner and had an 8/9 out of 10 performance. So good nobody noticed it.
Dunno who else is around. Bit early for Dillon and Andy. A Gibbons or a Parsons maybe? Maybe even a Duffy or a Mort :D

macdanger2

Quote from: Farrandeelin on February 07, 2015, 12:53:25 AM
Hope Clarke has varied kickouts rather than 'hoofit' like Hennelly last week.

Yeah, although it might not be needed against Tyrone's mf

Farrandeelin

Must say I'm pleased so far with management giving new players a chance. Hopefully Hall will impress. It's a shame the bench isn't named too, just to see if Duffy is a viable option or not.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

macdanger2

I think Hall has massive potential, not sure he's a corner back though. Have we any new corner backs on the squad? Would Ger Caff be an option there if Keane was at fb?

I hope Gallagher gets some time

Nihilist

Quote from: macdanger2 on February 07, 2015, 12:16:04 PM
I think Hall has massive potential, not sure he's a corner back though. Have we any new corner backs on the squad? Would Ger Caff be an option there if Keane was at fb?

I hope Gallagher gets some time
Harrison last year did very well at corner back in the League.
Cafferkey can play CB as well and is usually sent out to mark the danger man in the opposition FF line. Then of courses there's Cunniffe so there could be a full compliment across the FB line if  someone like Hall were to show potential. Hard to judge Hall though as he is so young and inexperienced at this level.

muppet

Playing new players like Durcan and Gallagher for a game and then dropping them is a waste of time imho. They had varying degrees of success last week but you have to have some faith in them and commit to a few games at least.

I suspect it could be the same for Hall which won't do him any good either. At least they are sticking with Coen.

As for the keepers, Clarke and Hennelly are both very good keepers but imho Hennelly has the better kickout, despite last week.
MWWSI 2017

Fear ón Srath Bán

In lovely Castlebar. Took the hen-party express from Dublin (to Westport ), and by the time I reached Castlebar it sounded more like a carriage full of Katherine Lynch Dublin characters :)

Could be a whole lot bleedin' worse, so it could. Tír Eoghain abú! ;)
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

ONeill

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on February 07, 2015, 06:26:56 PM
In lovely Castlebar. Took the hen-party express from Dublin (to Westport ), and by the time I reached Castlebar it sounded more like a carriage full of Katherine Lynch Dublin characters :)

Could be a whole lot bleedin' worse, so it could. Tír Eoghain abú! ;)

What are Mayo people really like?
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Redhand Santa

The thing that annoys me about the keyboard warriors on here who give Harte so much stick is that most of them would hardly even go to a tyrone game. They're like the average county fan who support the teams when they're doing well and become huge fans but disappear and have some excuse for not supporting the team when things go poorly. Some our just on complaining due to club grudge or annoyance that none of there club men our on the team.

People often question me on here as to why I feel the need to always defend Harte. Well I guess it's cause I'm a die hard tyrone fan who will follow the team no matter what. Harte has brought us great success and will be the tyrone manager this year no matter what is said on here so I'd rather get behind him than turn on the team.

I haven't been happy with various aspects of the teams displays at times in recent years. The thing that has annoyed me the most is the way we have lay down and showed no fight in some games. I don't feel the need to give Harte personal abuse over it though, I would hold the manager and players jointly responsible. Many of the same players disappeared in u21 games so it's not just been under Harte.

The one thing that I would be critical of him is over his ability to deal with the half forward issue. We need to get a couple of hard ball winning players in here. When you look at the half forward line that started v armagh last year it was just to nice and I feel he has been trying the wrong players. After 08 we went very defensive playing out and out sweepers to counteract the lack of quality. It took us to a semi in 13. I think Harte realised that day that you wouldn't win an all Ireland without a greater range of attacking power and has tried to address since but hasn't got there.

I do think there is unrealistic expectations among some tyrone fans though. They're judging the current team on the success in the last decade. But that hasn't always been the way with tyrone teams. Look back to the 90s record pre the golden era

1990 to 1993 beat first round ulster
1994 ulster finalists
1995 ulster champs and all Ireland finalists
1996 ulster champs
1997 ulster semi finalists
1998 beat first round
1999 ulster semi finalists

We had some success around the middle of the decade but despite changing managers 3 or 4 times we failed to get past an ulster semi on 7 out of ten years. I'm just trying to put the current decade into some sort of context and suggest that a change in manager isn't a guarantee of success. This decade we've already won an ulster, been to the all Ireland quarters twice and semis once.

I do hope that last week was a one off in the season and that the fight back starts today. I wouldn't be surprised if there's positional changes today. McCann could go to half back with Donnelly or Harte going up. Oneill and cavanagh could well switch. It's a long enough trip up and down and I'm hoping for a victory but either way I'll be in Omagh in 3 weeks to support the team.

Quarterback

Big game for Tyrone today and one where I expect harte to go full out on the defensive..backs are against the wall and I expect us to pack the defence..Tyrone have scoring difficulties and perhaps in moving Mattie Donnelly to the full forward line along with Cavanagh could bear fruit..Tyrone arnt as bad as everyone it making out and I expect a backlash

Fuzzman

RHS, do you enjoying watching Tyrone play these days? Even when they win, to me it's not an enjoyable experience any more for me. Their style of play and lack of leaders and fight within the team is demoralising to watch. Harte in my eyes seems to make a lot if wrong calls the last few years and has undermined a lot of players confidence.
Of course the players have to shoulder some responsibility but I don't see much personal abuse being thrown at Harte bar his stubbornness.

The Petey Harte nephew argument is ridiculous to me. Yes Petey has struggled in previous years to play to his potential but part of that is Mickey can't decide where to play him.
To me one of our biggest positives Sean Cav at FF who could hold the key to a winning formula is becoming one of our biggest negatives. We can all see his potential in there but why oh why can't Mickey get him to learn to become a team player. If we could get Sean to play a Star role where we can kick long fast ball into him and we have players like McCurry, McAliskey, RON, PJ and Hughes timing their runs KNOWING that Sean will release it fast and accurate into their path then we suddenly have a very different attacking system. Count today how many times Sean loses possession with possible easy passes on around him. Players soon get fed up when they know the pass won't come so they then stop making those runs. McCurry especially could be one hell of a player if only he had a target man with fast hands but more importantly fast thinking head.
Sorry, I forgot myself there. Its a game all about stopping the other team. So maybe Sean as a third sweeper is best.

I hope they play well today and win but I fear more crab football and slow attacks from the back.

BennyHarp

Have Mayo rented a Premier League crowd in for this game to just boo at everything?
That was never a square ball!!

Zulu

Tyrone getting everyone behind the ball but Mayo struggling to break it down.

muppet

How the hell was that not a black card for Doherty?

We have the farcical situation of a rule that is being ignored being declared a success by those who brought it in.
MWWSI 2017

CD

A fit Justy McMahon is a fine thing to behold!
Who's a bit of a moaning Michael tonight!