Kerry v Mayo NFL D1; Round 1

Started by Farrandeelin, January 28, 2015, 05:51:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

twohands!!!

No subs named by Mayo and a lot of very unfamiliar names on the Kerry bench.

In a game where match fitness/sharpness isn't quite there I wonder if that could be a big factor.

rosnarun

Any one know what the pitch is like in Killarney (not the stadium) mayo's forward line  like is more like a Summer team . having said that delighted to see ronaldson back . must have been some story with himdelf and James . or was skill just out of fashion .
we'll hold fire on the deciding if the True Messiah is in the other corner just yet
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

ballinaman

Quote from: rosnarun on January 30, 2015, 03:30:08 PM
Any one know what the pitch is like in Killarney (not the stadium) mayo's forward line  like is more like a Summer team . having said that delighted to see ronaldson back . must have been some story with himdelf and James . or was skill just out of fashion .
we'll hold fire on the deciding if the True Messiah is in the other corner just yet
Great attitude to have, you're sorted either way depending on how he plays, if only there were more like ya in Mayo... ::)

New black jersey on Sunday.... :o

twohands!!!

Don't know exactly what you are asking here but I do think that not enough of a difference is made between players who are better winter footballers and players who perform far better in the summer. There was one lad I knew growing up who was a sensational player when it was dry but if there was even the merest hint of moisture in the air was utterly utterly useless - you'd almost swear it was an identical twin with no talent turning up on the days is was wet. Went playing soccer in the end. Then there are other lads who seem to enjoy and perform far better in the wet and windy miserable days - basically the worse the weather, the muddier the pitch, the severe the wind, the better they became. I think it's odd that more isnt made of this in games.

Was talking to a hurler and he reckoned that there were hurlers who were like this except wind was the big factor with them. Calm day gods, windy day dogs he called them. [anyone heard this expression before - he was a Wexfordian so I wonder if it's a local expression from that part of the country]

Also I thought the True Messiah had popped over to Scotland or am I getting totally confused?

moysider

Quote from: twohands!!! on January 30, 2015, 04:41:58 PM

Don't know exactly what you are asking here but I do think that not enough of a difference is made between players who are better winter footballers and players who perform far better in the summer. There was one lad I knew growing up who was a sensational player when it was dry but if there was even the merest hint of moisture in the air was utterly utterly useless - you'd almost swear it was an identical twin with no talent turning up on the days is was wet. Went playing soccer in the end. Then there are other lads who seem to enjoy and perform far better in the wet and windy miserable days - basically the worse the weather, the muddier the pitch, the severe the wind, the better they became. I think it's odd that more isnt made of this in games.

Was talking to a hurler and he reckoned that there were hurlers who were like this except wind was the big factor with them. Calm day gods, windy day dogs he called them. [anyone heard this expression before - he was a Wexfordian so I wonder if it's a local expression from that part of the country]

Also I thought the True Messiah had popped over to Scotland or am I getting totally confused?

You re not the only one!

Mayo4Sam

Am I the only one that's wondering what Ronaldson is back for?
Four years is a long stretch and it feels like loyalty to the '06 team.

I would think a win is most important for the management team/supporters. There's a lot of people waiting for them to fail so that they can say that the wrong management team was picked.

Cool in Tralee this evening
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

moysider

Ronaldson played very well in FBD matches in 2011. However I think Horan gave up on him when he got cleaned out in League match v Kerry in McHale Park. Mark O Sé did a number on him and he was taken off and didn t appear again after if memory serves me correctly. He has skill to burn but whether he has the size and pace to trouble the really top defenders is the thing. I suspect that Horan made up his mind at that league game that he didn t.

I still think he was a better option than some of the forward panellists that Horan ended up with.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on January 30, 2015, 08:36:55 PM
Am I the only one that's wondering what Ronaldson is back for?
Four years is a long stretch and it feels like loyalty to the '06 team.

I would think a win is most important for the management team/supporters. There's a lot of people waiting for them to fail so that they can say that the wrong management team was picked.

Cool in Tralee this evening

Ah, if you are good enough, you are good enough. Whether its 4 years or 10 years! You know one thing he will be fresher in Spirit, mind and body than the lads who have battled the last 4 years. How long was Kevin O'Neill away from Mayo football?

Mayo4Sam

Chuckie was tearing up trees for us though
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

mayoman dan

Ronaldson is a nice player but is not whats needed.He might be used as an impact sub but realistically he is going to be behind Andy and Dillon for this role and maybe even Sweeney.

larryin89

Quote from: mayoman dan on January 30, 2015, 10:20:11 PM
Ronaldson is a nice player but is not whats needed.He might be used as an impact sub but realistically he is going to be behind Andy and Dillon for this role and maybe even Sweeney.

What do you think the starting six will be come Galway ? Will have to wait and see how some of them get on in the league surely and all deserve a run that are in the panel. I don't think anything is definite up front bar Cillian and Mgloughlin maybe and if we go with Aido on the 40 again he would be a shoe in too.

On a sidenote it must be hard to train with such a massive panel, when will they start cutting ?
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

mayoman dan

Quote from: larryin89 on January 30, 2015, 10:31:59 PM

What do you think the starting six will be come Galway ? Will have to wait and see how some of them get on in the league surely and all deserve a run that are in the panel. I don't think anything is definite up front bar Cillian and Mgloughlin maybe and if we go with Aido on the 40 again he would be a shoe in too.

On a sidenote it must be hard to train with such a massive panel, when will they start cutting ?

Its very hard to know as you say everyone should be given a fair crack of the whip but i would think that come championship it will shape up something along these lines          Mc Loughlin         Aiden        Doherty
                                                           Regan                 Freeman      Cillian.

Personally i would like to see Aiden been given a go on the edge of the square with a real effort being made to kick decent ball in to him.We could move Cillian out to cf to accomodate this. Andy would be the first forward in off the bench but i would also think Adam Gallagher will be pushing hard for a place.If others such as Parsons and Feeney can push for spots along with Dillon and Sweeney we are going to have some real competition for places.Most of all i would like to see us be tactically flexible as i feel we have become very easy to play against the last while.Our strenghts and weaknesses are well known by the opposition its time we adapted and mixed it up a bit

moysider

Quote from: larryin89 on January 30, 2015, 10:31:59 PM

Realistically, yeah there has to be a cull. Best of luck with that. There are so many about the same level it is an impossible task I d say.

Realistically I d expect Aido at 11 again. There were signs last year that Parsons was again becoming a top midfielder. Seamie will be solid again. Gibbons and Barry there too.

I'd include Doc as a definite with McLoughlin and O Connor. Thought he had a very good year for us 2014 and was growing into a role that was not his normal shift. He s still on an upward curve and I d guess he was one of the first names on the team sheet for this one. Now if only Freeman could get his confidence and consistency sorted; we d be going places.
Not sure I agree with Dan's placing of Ronaldson, Dillon, Andy and Sweeney in the reckoning. But anyway it would be nice to have 3 inside forwards that would keep the opposition on their toes from the start.

macdanger2

Doc had a very good year last year, hopefully he can keep it up this year

mayoman dan

I dont think Ronaldson will be in the reckoning Moy he might be handy as an impact sub but he is well down the list for me.